User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    How is this any different than recent school and movie theater and church shootings (and that one weird stabbing in Texas)?

What is anyone's motivation for random public violence? And why has it become so common-place in the U.S.? I swear it's become over here like Central Asia, like some developing country, like Russia or something.

I don't know why this stuff keeps happening, what the exact reason is, but it's more common in countries where lots of weapons are readily made more available to civilians.

I wouldn't be quick to blame foreign terrorists, though it's a possibility, don't rule out random insanity of American citizens.
    I thought they had taken someone into custody, a Saudi national. Could be profiling too. No idea.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I think most people associate bombings with terrorism, whether or not it's international or homegrown.

Rampage killings with firearms tend to be in schools, etc, so perhaps people differentiate, initially.
    Rampage killings with firearms are also an act of terrorism.

Anything that is randomly public is a form of terrorism; people who randomly start shooting in any public place are trying to create fear, especially copy-cat criminals who keep the cycle going, my theory is that they enjoy keeping people living in terror of leaving the house.

While most people associate terrorism with being a particular religious group, it can be used to support any ideology.

Although "terrorism" originally referred to acts committed by a government, currently it usually refers to the killing of innocent people[16] by a non-government group in such a way as to create a media spectacle.
    The reason I responded as I did was because the poster said they hoped this wouldn't start another war, like they assumed the people who did it were extremist cult Muslims or something.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

The reason I responded as I did was because the poster said they hoped this wouldn't start another war, like they assumed the people who did it were extremist cult Muslims or something.
    The reason that post was worded like it was is I have no idea what's going on, and I was throwing what was running through my mind onto the computer. Surely you aren't suggesting that it isn't a possibility? I did not mean to sound like I was assuming it was come kind of extremist muslim cult.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Rampage killings with firearms are also an act of terrorism.

Anything that is randomly public is a form of terrorism; people who randomly start shooting in any public place are trying to create fear, especially copy-cat criminals who keep the cycle going, my theory is that they enjoy keeping people living in terror of leaving the house.

While most people associate terrorism with being a particular religious group, it can be used to support any ideology.

Yeah, I wasn't correcting you (I dunno if it sounded that way), just saying I think people tend to hold the two apart, for the reasons you just expounded upon.

(people in my house are talking loudly about if we're gonna have another war..
    ... if it's North Korea.. umm. wat. )
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I thought they had taken someone into custody, a Saudi national. Could be profiling too. No idea.
    For the record, looks like the unconfirmed reports are that the person was acting "suspiciously" and is in the hospital now, not custody.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    The reason that post was worded like it was is I have no idea what's going on, and I was throwing what was running through my mind onto the computer. Surely you aren't suggesting that it isn't a possibility? I did not mean to sound like I was assuming it was come kind of extremist muslim cult.
    I tend now to view most of this stuff as perpetrated by American citizens since it's become a monthly, sometimes weekly event, for people to kill randoms in some public place.

I just don't like the tendency to assume it's because of someone we're going to go to war with when there is already so much internal bullshit now.

In fact I think it's interesting that people are still more afraid of outsiders than the condition of the country within itself.

I'm not ruling it out as a possibility, but I would not be quick to jump to that conclusion.

I tend now to view most of this stuff as perpetrated by American citizens since it's become a monthly, sometimes weekly event, for people to kill randoms in some public place.
    If it is "randoms" that are being killed, perhaps we should stop being random people who live in random places.

There was a time when public places weren't filled with random people.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    IxFx
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sx

Ugh, this really makes me feel sick. The looks on people's faces all over the city are sad, eerily similar, and scary to see. I'm okay, and my friends are okay. My father works for the BPD, so he'll be there all night. I'm so nervous.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    If it is "randoms" that are being killed, perhaps we should stop being random people who live in random places.

There was a time when public places weren't filled with random people.
    I agree with that. But it's a cultural disease. Corporatism encourages this kind of mindset, and corporatism is our perversion of capitalism, kind of like the Soviets had their perversion of communism.

Like when you have suicidal people, you take away their nail files and shoe strings so they can't hurt themselves? That's the reason why we need weapon control, so we can stabilize the "patients" until they can be trusted to use weapons responsibly again.

MBTI
    ISTx

And I'm working the upcoming Nashville marathon. Hold on to your butts!

This tragedy sucks though.