User Tag List

First 20282930313240 Last

Results 291 to 300 of 431

  1. #291

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Wait. So you cite spree killings repeatedly as a reason firearms should be banned, but I'm not allowed to talk about them? Sorry if I'm misinterpreting, I'm awfully tired so it's a possibility.

    I would also ask you to read the rest of my post, the rest was unrelated to the Brevik incident.
    When did I do that?

    Remember if you cant quote me doing so, and I definitely dont recollect doing so, then you are simply emoting on this topic and there is even less of a reason to regard continuing a discussion with you to be worthwhile.

    Are we learning yet?

  2. #292

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I am not looking for sympathy, and you are the one being emotional here. (Perhaps your own accusation of emotionalism is simple projection.)
    Afraid not.

    You're engaging in a lot of rationalisation for what is an affect powered argument on your own part, there's also a lot of intellectualisation and overall a desperate attempt to appear articulate, knowledgeable and most importantly of all clever, or at least a "match" for your imagined "opponent". You've not even got that much of a grasp on what the concept of projection is.

    Although lets not waste time arguing the point, you guys havent really much to say of any interest and becoming as defensive as you just did in this post and those preceeding it is evidence enough for me that it was ill advised to respond to you.

    You got a lot of people responding to you in this thread dont you? Think that one over for a moment.

  3. #293
    ... Tyrinth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    When did I do that?

    Remember if you cant quote me doing so, and I definitely dont recollect doing so, then you are simply emoting on this topic and there is even less of a reason to regard continuing a discussion with you to be worthwhile.

    Are we learning yet?
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post2068714
    http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...=1#post2068827

    Don't be condescending. It just makes people hate you.
    ...

  4. #294

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    I didnt bring up the spree killings, it was another poster and I responded, I wasnt arguing that it was a reason to ban weapons either.

    I was making points about facts, evidence and discussion, as opposed to emoting, attribution and argument. Although you're not going to understand it and merely pass it off as condescending. Maybe when you get past that we can talk again.

  5. #295
    ... Tyrinth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I didnt bring up the spree killings, it was another poster and I responded, I wasnt arguing that it was a reason to ban weapons either.

    I was making points about facts, evidence and discussion, as opposed to emoting, attribution and argument. Although you're not going to understand it and merely pass it off as condescending. Maybe when you get past that we can talk again.
    The fact that you didn't bring it up doesn't change anything. You were using spree killings as an argument for UK-esque gun restrictions. For those of you who are unfamiliar with how the UK regards firearms, that would mean a ban of most of them.

    Also, don't even try to say that your "are we learning yet?" comment was not condescending. That's the part which I was referring to.
    ...

  6. #296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    The fact that you didn't bring it up doesn't change anything. You were using spree killings as an argument for UK-esque gun restrictions. For those of you who are unfamiliar with how the UK regards firearms, that would mean a ban of most of them.

    Also, don't even try to say that your "are we learning yet?" comment was not condescending. That's the part which I was referring to.
    Oh alright, well, read over the threads when you're not in such a bad temper and see what you think. Have a good day now.

  7. #297
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,522

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    This kind of shit that goes on in the states, these bombings in boston or any of the other meltdown rampages, anyone hear about much of this going on in China?
    This is the first reference in our particular exchange about spree killing in the context of gun regulations, though it is about mass killing in general, not specifically with guns.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coriolis
    Easy perhaps, but not accurate. There is substantial evidence for the ineffectiveness of gun control, specifically an assault weapons ban as we were discussing, and next to none supporting its effectiveness. Add up the costs of implementation and enforcement - another objective exercise - and we don't even need to discuss the need or utility of the weapons in question. Of course, one can present objective, factual information in an emotional manner, but that is not helpful, and has been avoided so far.
    And yet there IS less gun violence, particularly spree killing, in the uk where weapons are unavailable. Go figure.
    This is your first reference to spree killing. You were replying to my comment which did not mention it at all.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    The incidence of gun related spree kills are lower in societies with without guns, there's a positive correlation and that's factual, no sense in denying or attempting to side step that only harms your argument actually.
    This is the most direct use of the phenomenon to make an argument, as Tyrinth already referenced.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    You're engaging in a lot of rationalisation for what is an affect powered argument on your own part, there's also a lot of intellectualisation and overall a desperate attempt to appear articulate, knowledgeable and most importantly of all clever, or at least a "match" for your imagined "opponent". You've not even got that much of a grasp on what the concept of projection is.

    Although lets not waste time arguing the point, you guys havent really much to say of any interest and becoming as defensive as you just did in this post and those preceeding it is evidence enough for me that it was ill advised to respond to you.

    You got a lot of people responding to you in this thread dont you? Think that one over for a moment.
    Do I? The conversation has been among you, me, and Tyrinth for several pages, and prior to that, people were responding to you, Marmotini and others as well. Once again, the facts do not support your claim. Moreover, you have now shifted your focus to making equally unsupported assertions about the style and even motivations of my argument, but calling something by a label does not make it so. People resort to such tactics when they know they cannot counter the substance of another person's argument.

    If you have any additional thoughts on the merits and efficacy of gun control, the Boston explosions, large-scale violence, or other related topics, I will read them with interest. Continuing a baseless discussion of stylistics, however, would not be productive.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  8. #298
    ... Tyrinth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Oh alright, well, read over the threads when you're not in such a bad temper and see what you think. Have a good day now.
    You seem to assume that I find your opinions objectionable only because of the mood I'm in. I assure you this is not the case.

    By Yozora... What are we even arguing about? I think at this point we're just arguing for the sake of it.

    Let's check the scoreboard, shall we?

    Things you've convinced me of: 0
    Things I think I've convinced you of: 0
    Effect your opinion has on public policy in my country: 0
    Effect my opinion has on public policy in your country: 0
    Original points made by either of us: 0

    Who's the winner? No one! No one wins, and the loser is anyone who had to read this meaningless discourse between us.

    For the record, this is why I generally don't allow my enemy to frame the discussion, and also why I generally don't try to represent stances which aren't my own.

    This whole discussion is a waste of time. No original points from either side, and repeated hand-waving dismissal of points by you.

    Sorry for the waste of time; I'm going to bed.
    ...

  9. #299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Do I? The conversation has been among you, me, and Tyrinth for several pages, and prior to that, people were responding to you, Marmotini and others as well. Once again, the facts do not support your claim.
    Exactly.

    I'd wait for you to figure that out but I'd say I'd be waiting a long time. The clue's in your not understanding the point of what I said or as you choose to put it "claim".

  10. #300

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    You seem to assume that I find your opinions objectionable only because of the mood I'm in. I assure you this is not the case.

    By Yozora... What are we even arguing about? I think at this point we're just arguing for the sake of it.

    Let's check the scoreboard, shall we?

    Things you've convinced me of: 0
    Things I think I've convinced you of: 0
    Effect your opinion has on public policy in my country: 0
    Effect my opinion has on public policy in your country: 0
    Original points made by either of us: 0

    Who's the winner? No one! No one wins, and the loser is anyone who had to read this meaningless discourse between us.

    For the record, this is why I generally don't allow my enemy to frame the discussion, and also why I generally don't try to represent stances which aren't my own.

    This whole discussion is a waste of time. No original points from either side, and repeated hand-waving dismissal of points by you.

    Sorry for the waste of time; I'm going to bed.


    Yeah, your posts arent influenced by your mood at all...

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] A Marathon of Consciousness
    By Prototype in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 01:07 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2009, 08:09 PM
  3. What made my INTJ friend to start marathon training..
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 10:28 PM
  4. Homemade Science Experiment To Create Explosion? (Leftover T3s; codeine?)
    By Usehername in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2007, 02:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO