User Tag List

First 16242526272836 Last

Results 251 to 260 of 431

  1. #251
    Senior Member ColonelGadaafi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP
    Posts
    774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I'm guessing you're an Si type and because of your cultural or political ties you just ignore world geographic locations, such as major continents. Okay.
    I don't think continental plates have any real value. They're just a scientific description of earths geology. They're made relevant by academia. Europe itself is a cultural/religious/ethnic construct, like any other geopolitical/cultural/religious/ethnic/linguistic construct. That's not mental function, it's logic.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    See it's this kind of thing I don't like...I don't have a lot of Russian friends because I'm American, I have a lot of Russian friends because I'm me, and there hasn't been some kind of collective ideology they've pushed on me to hate people in the Caucasus, but on the other hand I do understand why Russians feel the way they do, and Imma guess that's gonna piss you right off, for me to even try to explain is probably so deeply personal to you that you won't get anything but offended.
    Go right ahead, I've heard it all before. You don't need to be politically correct around me. All I can tell you the power dynamic isn't balanced. I have a pretty good idea of what your russian friends told you.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    And I personally don't like you saying things like Americans don't know people from the Caucasus or Central Asia because of Russians. It bespeaks of a kind of hostility and something that is ...incorrect...that just doesn't have anything to do with anything, in my experience, though this may be your perception.
    Well, you should see media reporting from Russia, and the way Russian state apparatus pushes it's media imagery onto others. That's not inaccurate. How is it hostile? It's not a state secret that Russian media outlets are biased, just like any other countrys.


    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Have a great day, son.
    Why stop here?
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

  2. #252
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    @ColonelGadaafi

    I've politely attempted to demure, wish you well, not be "in the middle of it" and it's not just out of being politically correct, but of me no longer wanting to "get in trouble" on the forums for my own protection, and also because I find your world view quite subjective and I can see you're going to stubbornly resist any attempt I have to tell you it's subjective; it is however partially out of respect, of me saying I don't "hate" any particular race or culture, at least not as individuals (though I may have distaste for it collectively in some cases).

    You saying that scientific categories aren't facts is not a great place to start. Neither is the fact that you perceive the exact opposite of what Americans usually presume: most people unfairly categorize Russians as xenophobic awful neo-nazi racists, not say "oh wow Russians are so great in their cultural hatred of people from the Caucasus."

    I completely understand the Russian need to preserve their own culture, their fear of random acts of terrorism or violence within their own country, and I've actually sympathized to a degree with why some Russians are nationalists, though I don't tend to propagate nationalism as a wonderful ideology for all people to embrace blindly.

    Both sides see the other as unfair, that's pretty much the long and short of it, and as someone who values Russian culture, and who finds my Russian friends warm, generous people, I am afraid that my own world view is also too subjective to effectively see your point in the way you'd probably wish for me to.

    Also know that I do watch/read RT sometimes for entertainment, so I'm not some big dummy about the Russian media, or about Russian political authoritarianism and their paternalistic complex, which I already mentioned in this thread.

    You probably see this as some excellent opportunity to enlighten me, but I can assure you, that's not what is going on here at all.

  3. #253
    likes this gromit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    6,652

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I also know the whole hilarious thing about how to Americans and Western Europeans Caucasians (as a term) are white people
    WOW I never even made the connection between caucasian and Caucasus region. I had only ever heard it to mean "person with lighter skin of vaguely European descent."
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

  4. #254
    Senior Member ColonelGadaafi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP
    Posts
    774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    WOW I never even made the connection between caucasian and Caucasus region. I had only ever heard it to mean "person with lighter skin of vaguely European descent."
    blumenbach called europeans caucasians, because he thought the most beautiful white people came from georgia, something like that.

    Anyway this is an interview with the tamerlane&dzhokars uncle
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

  5. #255
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    WOW I never even made the connection between caucasian and Caucasus region. I had only ever heard it to mean "person with lighter skin of vaguely European descent."
    It's connected to white slavery, specifically female slaves. Blumenbach had a bizarre fixation with women from the area, but it makes more sense if you look at in terms as being the boundary between Europe and Asia, basically claiming everyone from there West was Caucasian.

    It isn't completely absurd because I learned in my linguistic class that the cultural spot where Proto-Indo-European language originated is roughly somewhere around this boundary between Europe and Asia, probably in present day Russia, possibly Iran.

    I'm thinking the mythology, since racialist classifications were originally also racist, is that people "evolved" in a sort of NorthWestern fashion, so that the Caucasus area was clearly this sort of boundary where the evolution of the beautiful white people must have taken place.

    Or something.

    Racial classification has a lot to do with skull shape, not just skin color.

  6. #256
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,531

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I am saying, here is what I am saying, that the responsibility of traditional Southerners still doesn't really allow room for the particular weapons that I (and many moderate, centrist liberal types) believe should be restricted. If you asked my second cousin Bennie if he needed a semi-automatic weapon to hunt deer, he would probably look at you like you were retarded.

    I feel like your alcohol example isn't apt. It's more like comparing your Italian family's attitude toward alcohol to people who buy crystal meth. Crystal meth is the machine guns of the drug world, so to speak.

    No one really needs it. And even if marijuana should be legal, I really don't see what good can come of legalizing crystal meth.
    In terms of real need, people need wine and beer even less than a hunter needs a rifle. Looking on the harm side of the equation, hundreds of deaths each year are attributed to crystal meth, far more than assault weapons. If we are going to restrict the extreme end of either spectrum, we should make sure it will at least bring about the desired benefit. I'm not sure it has in either case.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  7. #257
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,908

    Default

    Cause and effect. Cost and benefit. Are these such difficult things to work with?
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  8. #258

    Default

    Its incredible to me that people who're able to handle complexity in most topics and issues and positively praise it lose that perspective entirely when it comes to the regulation of their recreation, whether its possessing and using firearms or possessing and using drugs.

    Stupid straw men arguments about complete prohibition or complete permissiveness really dont serve anyone at all.

    In my own experience I've not know any adultsm or members of the productive, or at least, working population more like, who're big into their drug scene. For the most part its adolescents from pretty poor, dysfunctional, often vicious as get out backgrounds who're nye on impossible for the authorities to control or contain and who are a menace to anyone else, individually or collectively, they can do real harm and being totally permissive about firearms or drugs is likely just going to stoke them and create a greater problem.

    This kind of shit that goes on in the states, these bombings in boston or any of the other meltdown rampages, anyone hear about much of this going on in China?

  9. #259
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Its incredible to me that people who're able to handle complexity in most topics and issues and positively praise it lose that perspective entirely when it comes to the regulation of their recreation, whether its possessing and using firearms or possessing and using drugs.

    Stupid straw men arguments about complete prohibition or complete permissiveness really dont serve anyone at all.

    In my own experience I've not know any adultsm or members of the productive, or at least, working population more like, who're big into their drug scene. For the most part its adolescents from pretty poor, dysfunctional, often vicious as get out backgrounds who're nye on impossible for the authorities to control or contain and who are a menace to anyone else, individually or collectively, they can do real harm and being totally permissive about firearms or drugs is likely just going to stoke them and create a greater problem.

    This kind of shit that goes on in the states, these bombings in boston or any of the other meltdown rampages, anyone hear about much of this going on in China?
    People do love their cultural attachments. I'm always surprised when I see INTJs so vehemently defending the American gun culture; however their argument tends to be something along the lines of freedom to choose, a real intense intense fear of authoritarianism....I see this so much in INTJs it kind of baffles me, repeatedly they claim someone is attempting to fence them or someone else in.

    I honestly see a lot more rational acceptance of it from INTPs. A ton more.

    I wonder why. I mean I'm not even a fan of total gun control. I am no extremist by any means, and I logically appreciate the importance of some weapons, but this isn't a slippery slope into Soviet communism if people can't buy semi-automatic weapons.

    America land of the free, home of the paranoid.

  10. #260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    People do love their cultural attachments. I'm always surprised when I see INTJs so vehemently defending the American gun culture; however their argument tends to be something along the lines of freedom to choose, a real intense intense fear of authoritarianism....I see this so much in INTJs it kind of baffles me, repeatedly they claim someone is attempting to fence them or someone else in.

    I honestly see a lot more rational acceptance of it from INTPs. A ton more.

    I wonder why. I mean I'm not even a fan of total gun control. I am no extremist by any means, and I logically appreciate the importance of some weapons, but this isn't a slippery slope into Soviet communism if people can't buy semi-automatic weapons.

    America land of the free, home of the paranoid.
    I dont believe there's any relationship what so ever between soviet communism and ownership or lack there of of semi-automatic weapons. Its bizarre to associate the two, a little like saying that people have elections there will be another Hitler, the correlation and history is so weak that the association should not be made.

    There's A LOT of stupid knee jerk libertarianism, I dont know if its all INTJs so much as a particular age group and section of the population too, I heard some good responses to the worst of the outcry about supposed "fascism" in Boston which highlighted that some of the loudest complainers were the very least likely to be leaving their homes in the first place, unless their internet was temporarily down or their parents were driving them to the shops, and the rest of them are now safe to skate board were and when they like while ungratefully whinging about the police.

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] A Marathon of Consciousness
    By Prototype in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 01:07 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2009, 08:09 PM
  3. What made my INTJ friend to start marathon training..
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 10:28 PM
  4. Homemade Science Experiment To Create Explosion? (Leftover T3s; codeine?)
    By Usehername in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2007, 02:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO