User Tag List

First 14222324252634 Last

Results 231 to 240 of 431

  1. #231
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529
    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Guns are more dangerous in the small-scale encounter, whether accidental, as when kids get into them; or intentional, as in a robbery or personal altercation. Mass murder is much more easily accomplished using explosives or other means
    Assault rifles are designed to kill as many as possible in the shortest period of time.

    And we now learn America won't even ban assault rifles.

  2. #232
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I see why you say that, but it's just a surreal thing to say when the last few shootings have taken down numbers of people into the double-digits, and the bombing last week killed only three although hurting probably 120 or so.

    EDIT: Whoops, 170 wounded. so that's a kill rate of 3/170...
    Yes, knives won't result in the same number of fatalities as guns, but explosives done properly can result in many more. The Boston culprits were amateurs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Assault rifles are designed to kill as many as possible in the shortest period of time.

    And we now learn America won't even ban assault rifles.
    That's because a small minority of gun fatalities involve assault weapons. Passage of such legislation would be a symbolic act at best, with no appreciable effect on gun violence. See this article for a more detailed treatment.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

  3. #233
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Yes, knives won't result in the same number of fatalities as guns, but explosives done properly can result in many more. The Boston culprits were amateurs.
    And it seems like amateurs with guns do better than amateurs with bombs.

    But I do agree that a lot of gun violence happens as you say, in regards to guns being found around the house by kids, etc. Not really the mass shooter scenario.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  4. #234
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    If you are including me in this "you", you assume too much.
    I meant "you" in the proper plural sense.


    Might as well say the same thing about alcohol. My father's family was of Italian origin. Wine especially was just part of life. His father made wine in the cellar. Kids were given wine, watered down, from a very early age. My dad and his brothers got into the new wine once as preteens and got sick, learning a valuable lesson about alcohol when the consequences were relatively minor. Alcoholism was almost unheard of, but today their families must abide by alcohol laws, just like everyone else.
    I'm sorry, are you agreeing with me? Because I am saying being raised amongst traditional Southern attitudes toward guns, most of my community actually had very responsible attitudes toward guns, and in fact I would call them the opposite of people who idolize gangsta or rap culture and that view of guns; on the other hand, by the same token, there are other people in the South who own machine guns, and I have a friend who is a paranoid libertarian gun hoarder, and he's WV born and raised, and well-educated, he's just bought into this whole "be prepared" rhetoric of the anarcho-capitalists. Either that, or he's showing early signs of schizophrenia. I honestly thought his attitude toward guns was kind of insane. He kept one in his pants. And in his car. And they were in nearly every room of his house.

    Really nice guy, though. I mean really nice. Like poster child ExFJ sort. Charming, smooth, great with people, attractive to women, eventually shoots up a Wendy's?

    Anyway, I don't think all guns should be taken away. I think the cultural attitude toward guns in mainstream America needs correcting, and until then they should become less accessible (and some types not accessible at all) unless they're obviously for something like hunting.

    This sounds reasonable in theory, but actual events provide contradictory evidence.

    Guns are more dangerous in the small-scale encounter, whether accidental, as when kids get into them; or intentional, as in a robbery or personal altercation. Mass murder is much more easily accomplished using explosives or other means
    They don't call them drive-by stabbings. Or school stabbings. I mean there was that one guy, but I doubt that will catch on, you have to be pretty cold blooded to walk up to people and stab them.

    It's too easy to shoot people. You don't have to think about it. You don't even have to look someone in the eye.

    Of course you could say the same about explosives, but I still don't think amateur explosives kill as many as a dickhead with a gun can.

  5. #235
    ... Tyrinth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    1,173

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    It's too easy to shoot people. You don't have to think about it. You don't even have to look someone in the eye.
    Finally, one thing about guns that I can agree with you people on. Yeah, there's definitely a psychological difference between shooting a gun and stabbing. You don't even have to have done it to notice that.

    However, don't forget that this fact can be viewed in two ways.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    They don't call them drive-by stabbings. Or school stabbings. I mean there was that one guy, but I doubt that will catch on, you have to be pretty cold blooded to walk up to people and stab them.

    Of course you could say the same about explosives, but I still don't think amateur explosives kill as many as a dickhead with a gun can.
    Don't forget that the deadliest school attack in history was done with explosives.

    I swear. You people won't be convinced that the violence will continue until someone goes out there and proves it. Many of the recent knife attacks that are largely skipped over were by some idiot that got mad and just grabbed the nearest sharp object. If someone who actually knows how to use a blade snaps and goes into the nearest school I daresay things will not be so fortunate...

    Well, back to lurking for me. This site really needs more dissenting opinions...
    ...

  6. #236
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529
    The two Boston terrorists were influenced by Sydney-born Muslim cleric Sheik Faze Mohammed. So ideological jihad is now global. And jihad ideology can be reached anywhere in the world by the click of a button.

    However liberal democratic governments are afraid to criticise jihad ideology as it looks like criticising a religion.

  7. #237
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529
    And we have ideological jihadi brought before our Criminal Courts in Australia. So far we have caught them before they could commit a terrorist act.

    And example of an alleged ideological terrorist can be seen by clicking on - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a2d79sYo6-E

  8. #238
    Senior Member ColonelGadaafi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    Si
    Socionics
    ESTP
    Posts
    774

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post

    On the other hand, I don't excuse what he did because the Christian right are bigots. He's a bigot too. WTF.

    Bigotry all around.
    And you seem to imply that I did. But I didn't excuse or justify it. I only gave an analysis for why someone whose misplaced might go to the extreme of becoming a terrorist.
    "Where can you flee? What road will you use to escape us? Our horses are swift, our arrows sharp, our swords like thunderbolts, our hearts as hard as the mountains, our soldiers as numerous as the sand. Fortresses will not detain us, nor arms stop us. Your prayers to God will not avail against us. We are not moved by tears nor touched by lamentations."

  9. #239
    Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Posts
    2,934

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    The two Boston terrorists were influenced by Sydney-born Muslim cleric Sheik Faze Mohammed. So ideological jihad is now global. And jihad ideology can be reached anywhere in the world by the click of a button.

    However liberal democratic governments are afraid to criticise jihad ideology as it looks like criticising a religion.
    From what I've seen, in Muslim countries, criticising the armed Jihad doesn't look like criticising Islam (you can criticise it in the streets and nobody will blame you), but like criticising Saudi Arabia and the Wahhabi movement.
    And Saudi Arabia has the money and the oil.

    And I guess it's the same in the US: it's not a religious matter, it's just that they don't want to openly criticise their so-called Saudian ally and the oil industry lobby.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

    7w8 SCUxI

  10. #240
    Analytical Dreamer Coriolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Posts
    17,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I'm sorry, are you agreeing with me? Because I am saying being raised amongst traditional Southern attitudes toward guns, most of my community actually had very responsible attitudes toward guns, and in fact I would call them the opposite of people who idolize gangsta or rap culture and that view of guns; on the other hand, by the same token, there are other people in the South who own machine guns, and I have a friend who is a paranoid libertarian gun hoarder, and he's WV born and raised, and well-educated, he's just bought into this whole "be prepared" rhetoric of the anarcho-capitalists. Either that, or he's showing early signs of schizophrenia. I honestly thought his attitude toward guns was kind of insane. He kept one in his pants. And in his car. And they were in nearly every room of his house.
    I am saying that the two situations are comparable, in that everyone is being held to some lowest common denominator rule set, just because a small minority can't be responsible about something. Instead of going after the real abusers, we just slap restrictions on everyone.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    They don't call them drive-by stabbings. Or school stabbings. I mean there was that one guy, but I doubt that will catch on, you have to be pretty cold blooded to walk up to people and stab them.

    It's too easy to shoot people. You don't have to think about it. You don't even have to look someone in the eye.

    Of course you could say the same about explosives, but I still don't think amateur explosives kill as many as a dickhead with a gun can.
    You are correct on both counts, but that could very well change if guns became harder to get.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Similar Threads

  1. [NF] A Marathon of Consciousness
    By Prototype in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 01:07 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2009, 08:09 PM
  3. What made my INTJ friend to start marathon training..
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 10:28 PM
  4. Homemade Science Experiment To Create Explosion? (Leftover T3s; codeine?)
    By Usehername in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-16-2007, 02:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO