Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Of course they do. Do you think that would convince Moscow to let American forces enter their air space?
    Why would America even do that? I don't think America belongs anywhere else than where they already are, and it's not like invading Russia's air space is necessary SINCE RUSSIANS ALREADY HAVE CONTEMPT FOR CHECHENS.

Russians and Americans hate Central Asian Muslims in equal measure. On that at least they can agree.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Narcissism as I understand it is a facet of alienation.

I tend to think of alienation not as a feeling, idea or sentiment experienced but a deterministic phenomenon of which most people are not aware and there are limits to the control people can exercise over it even when the awareness exists.

Its in no way a sympathetic observation to suggest that they were alienated btw.
    A lot of people who feel alienated only kill themselves, or isolate themselves. Narcissism is not just alienation, it's a combination of being overly praised and overly thrwarted.

Therefore a person with a grandiose sense of entitlement who is thwarted later in life may be the person inclined to do such things as "take other people with them" or commit acts of violence so that society will remember them.

Interestingly, the Oliver Stone/Quentin Tarantino film Natural Born Killers touched on this before it even became an epidemic.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Why would America even do that? I don't think America belongs anywhere else than where they already are, and it's not like invading Russia's air space is necessary SINCE RUSSIANS ALREADY HAVE CONTEMPT FOR CHECHENS.

Russians and Americans hate Central Asian Muslims in equal measure. On that at least they can agree.
    Because we have to get any bad guys that threaten America, and only America can be trusted to whoop on bad guys, and it doesn't matter if nobody else likes it.

It's a really stupid idea, I'm just trying to think like the kind of person who'd blame all of this on Chechnya in the first place.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Because we have to get any bad guys that threaten America, and only America can be trusted to whoop on bad guys, and it doesn't matter if nobody else likes it.

It's a really stupid idea, I'm just trying to think like the kind of person who'd blame all of this on Chechnya in the first place.
    The United States and Russia both have an authoritarian/paternalistic complex, this would not fly. This would be a very extremely bad idea for all people concerned.

What I don't understand about people in the U.S. is that they want harsh punishments and to invade foreign territories, but they call any preemptive, sensible preventative measure an encroachment on their freedom.

Do I think the Patriot Act is fair? No. It's like a step away from martial law. On the other hand, if it wasn't so easy to obtain weapons utterly unnecessary for hunting or self-defense here...

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The United States and Russia both have an authoritarian/paternalistic complex, this would not fly. This would be a very extremely bad idea for all people concerned.
    Yes it would be, but that's never stopped anybody from suggesting something. Not at least one person loud enough for all of us to hear. So that's why I said I'm waiting for it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    You are making an assumption than anyone who wants to address the issue of terrorism would do it in a way that would inhibit their own freedom. I, for one, am not one of those people. I do not want my freedoms inhibited. I want everyone, who is directly or indirectly responsible for this terrorist act dead, and their houses burned to the ground. After that is done, I want to log to my internet without government snooping my IP for no good reason, and book a flight where I can get on a plane without incompetent TSA morons harassing me because I have a water bottle.
    There is no subsitute for visiting the consequences directly on those responsible for a crime, including mass murder/terrorism/whatever you want to call it. It is always easier to persecute the innocent than to prosecute the guilty, though never as effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I made that statement for perspective because humans are irrational and too easily trade freedom for security. We've already done it with the Patriot Act. CISPA (a "revised" version) was just passed by the House, so there goes more freedom down the toilet. Every time something "scary" happens (or we're told it could happen), people expect our incompetent government to stop it from happening ever again. But they can't stop things like this from happening without taking away all freedom. Dealing with events like these is the cost of living in a free society.
    Life without risk is not life, but mere existence.

What I don't understand about people in the U.S. is that they want harsh punishments and to invade foreign territories, but they call any preemptive, sensible preventative measure an encroachment on their freedom.

Do I think the Patriot Act is fair? No. It's like a step away from martial law. On the other hand, if it wasn't so easy to obtain weapons utterly unnecessary for hunting or self-defense here...
    Then people would have to make do with knife attacks and homemade bombs, as we see they have been doing lately. Harsh punishments visited upon the guilty are quite separate from preemptive measures that affect mainly the innocent. Criminals, by definition, do not obey the law.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Then people would have to make do with knife attacks and homemade bombs, as we see they have been doing lately. Harsh punishments visited upon the guilty are quite separate from preemptive measures that affect mainly the innocent. Criminals, by definition, do not obey the law.
    Most people won't. It's harder to kill up close and harder to kill as many people. You check stats in other countries, it's not like liberals are making this up to take your oh-so-necessary machine guns and hand grenades away.

I grew up with a shotgun in the front closet. I learned to shoot a handgun when I was a nine. Many of my relatives have huge gun cases encased in glass.

However, never at any point did anyone in my community suggest that it was necessary for us to pretend we were Rambo or the Terminator. Because it's not.

Sometimes I think when people say "these people would have made due with knives" they're being disingenuous, because it otherwise seems like willful stupidity.

Most gun owners are white men, and many gun owners now are gun hoarders and stock-pilers rather than rational gun owners.

Pro-gun myth fact check.

I've argued with my own sister about this and I think I've shot more guns than she has. Derp.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Most people won't. It's harder to kill up close and harder to kill as many people. You check stats in other countries, it's not like liberals are making this up to take your oh-so-necessary machine guns and hand grenades away.
    If you are including me in this "you", you assume too much.

I grew up with a shotgun in the front closet. I learned to shoot a handgun when I was a nine. Many of my relatives have huge gun cases encased in glass.

However, never at any point did anyone in my community suggest that it was necessary for us to pretend we were Rambo or the Terminator. Because it's not.
    Might as well say the same thing about alcohol. My father's family was of Italian origin. Wine especially was just part of life. His father made wine in the cellar. Kids were given wine, watered down, from a very early age. My dad and his brothers got into the new wine once as preteens and got sick, learning a valuable lesson about alcohol when the consequences were relatively minor. Alcoholism was almost unheard of, but today their families must abide by alcohol laws, just like everyone else.

Sometimes I think when people say "these people would have made due with knives" they're being disingenuous, because it otherwise seems like willful stupidity.
    This sounds reasonable in theory, but actual events provide contradictory evidence.

Guns are more dangerous in the small-scale encounter, whether accidental, as when kids get into them; or intentional, as in a robbery or personal altercation. Mass murder is much more easily accomplished using explosives or other means
    Last edited by Coriolis; 04-21-2013 at 11:18 PM. Reason: fixed sloppy quoting
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Guns are more dangerous in the small-scale encounter, whether accidental, as when kids get into them; or intentional, as in a robbery or personal altercation. Mass murder is much more easily accomplished using explosives or other means
    I see why you say that, but it's just a surreal thing to say when the last few shootings have taken down numbers of people into the double-digits, and the bombing last week killed only three although hurting probably 120 or so.

EDIT: Whoops, 170 wounded. so that's a kill rate of 3/170...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

only America can be trusted to whoop on bad guys.
    C'mon, America was reluctant to whoop the bad guys in both the first and second world wars. It's called American Isolationism.