Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    By that standard, 'minor' and 'local crime' stories like Sandy Hook, Jeffrey Dahmer, etc. would receive the same type of minimal and sporadic coverage from mainstream sources as the Gosnell story. It strains credibility to claim that mainstream outlets underreported the story because they thought it wasn't profitable (i.e lurid) enough.
    Actually I think this is pretty bad, and I'm one of those people who read and watch about serial killers. There are all sorts of under-reported serial killers and rapes and creepy near-murders, that often get picked up by "true crime" shows or magazines or web sites, that you'd never see on the national news.

I didn't even know about the existence of Theresa Knorr until about two months ago, but I hear about Charles Manson all the time.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Partial birth abortions were banned, so we decided to go ahead with full birth abortions

I would also like to point out that everything I am personally interested in or offended by is under-reported, because I am a needy little bitch
    Oh I know right? Because liberals love to kill live, full-term babies.

Dude.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    That would be a reason for mainstream sources to give the same type of coverage to this story as the Sandy Hook massacre, and for right-wing blogs to downplay the story-instead, the exact opposite has occurred. The motivation that best matches the situation is that an overwhelmingly pro-choice media industry is reluctant to run a story that they believe cast the abortion industry (especially as it pertains to late-term abortions) in a bad light (especially among pro-choice moderates and low-information consumers who only pay attention to major stories), and a predominantly pro-life conservative blogosphere is eager to do exactly that.
    I'm not sure that this is really a case of the left-wing trying to cover up the crimes of a serial murderer (yeah, I think most liberals would consider a man who used rusty, dirty implements on women illegally and killed third trimester babies who were able to live outside the womb murderer) ...but more of a case of the right wing blowing something up out of proportion to demonize the left.

I think the bias is on the right, I mean who the fuck really thinks the mainstream left wing is cool with this? What kind of FUCKING RETARD thinks that the average liberal wants to cover up back-alley dangerous abortions and third trimester abortions?

While some extremists might think infanticide is okay, like @Beargryllz said, partial birth abortions were already banned, son.

I do see a massive horror movie in the making, though. Maybe I should cash in.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I think the bias is on the right, I mean who the fuck really thinks the mainstream left wing is cool with this? What kind of FUCKING RETARD thinks that the average liberal wants to cover up back-alley dangerous abortions and third trimester abortions?
    If anything, pro-choice people should be doing just what redneck mentioned above: highlighting this as what happens when people can't access safe, regulated abortion providers. Unfortunately, the sentiment in many states now is inhospitable to the rational and constructive consideration of abortion as a valid and legal service.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    If anything, pro-choice people should be doing just what redneck mentioned above: highlighting this as what happens when people can't access safe, regulated abortion providers. Unfortunately, the sentiment in many states now is inhospitable to the rational and constructive consideration of abortion as a valid and legal service.
    Yes, of course typically feminists don't like the idea of women being murdered and tortured with rusty dirty implements, so it kind of beggars belief that the right wing would actually think this is some kind of left wing agenda, as the left wing tends to be full of feminists.

One reporter said the reason this had been underreported was actually misogyny.

As @Jennifer and @Randomnity pointed out, the story actually has been covered since 2011 by feminists and pro-choice writers if not by the mainstream media.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I've been reading about this on feminist blogs for ages. A failure of the mainstream media, perhaps. But IMO it's most likely because they don't want to be seen as coming down on either side of a controversial topic so they don't alienate readers/viewers/whateverers.

"If even one child's life can be saved, then we need to act." -President Obama
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

What kind of FUCKING RETARD thinks that the average liberal wants to cover up back-alley dangerous abortions and third trimester abortions?
    Hey, you know that's been the way of these polarized discussions for years now: The extremists on both sides immediately accuse the bulk of the other side for being nefarious douchebags and assume the worst possible motivation in their interpretation of events. It's a conspiracy, you know...

Typically, there's a mainstream in either "bent" (liberal or conservative) that is operating far more innocently or at least with some good purpose in mind.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Hey, you know that's been the way of these polarized discussions for years now: The extremists on both sides immediately accuse the bulk of the other side for being nefarious douchebags and assume the worst possible motivation in their interpretation of events. It's a conspiracy, you know...

Typically, there's a mainstream in either "bent" (liberal or conservative) that is operating far more innocently or at least with some good purpose in mind.
    I really can't fathom it that certain people think that people are the left are all this "evil" or just completely unconcerned about human life. I also know that the right isn't entirely made up of people who believe these bizarre things about everyone on the left.

Some typical right wing platforms include the death penalty and being legally allowed to own machine guns. But they're just collectively more moral people who don't believe in murder?

As someone who is actually more moderate and believes in the death penalty in very extreme cases, but that no one should have machine guns and that abortions should only be performed in the first trimester, I am constantly staggered by the paranoia.

I have to explain to people on the left why Southerners are so right wing, and I have to explain to people on the right that everyone on the left isn't a communist baby-killer.

It gets old, and I get very frustrated with what seems like either complete insanity or willful stupidity.

It's very very difficult for me to believe that any rational conservative actually thinks that the liberals approve in some way of this kind of thing.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

As someone who is actually more moderate and believes in the death penalty in very extreme cases, but that no one should have machine guns and that abortions should only be performed in the first trimester, I am constantly staggered by the paranoia.
    As a side note, that actually describes my own values there... But maybe that only shows that people might be more complex than these kinds of discussions tries to make them.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft