User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It annoys me when people complain about minor stories like this not being covered when truly massive stories like the LIBOR scandal are covered just as poorly.
    By that standard, 'minor' and 'local crime' stories like Sandy Hook, Jeffrey Dahmer, etc. would receive the same type of minimal and sporadic coverage from mainstream sources as the Gosnell story. It strains credibility to claim that mainstream outlets underreported the story because they thought it wasn't profitable (i.e lurid) enough.

UGH.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    It annoys me when people complain about minor stories like this not being covered when truly massive stories like the LIBOR scandal are covered just as poorly. "The media has a liberal bias, blah blah blah"...bullshit. The media has a bias toward protecting those in power and making money. The only time the media does anything interesting is when those two goals conflict, which is pretty rare.
    Well, that part is true.
    Money makes people happy.

Print media is scrambling too. For example, we basically lost Newsweek last year (due to lack of money... they were on life support for two years or so), and what's left of it was subsumed by the Beast, which seems far more tabloid fodder. There will be more casualities, easily.

I read a number of articules on Yahoo about this news article, I just don't recall if they actually ran it as a banner headline recently with photos, or just in their daily feeds.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Perhaps people are reluctant to face this story head-on because it is a reminder of how abortions were performed prior to the Roe v. Wade decision - dirty, dangerous, back-alley - at least for women of limited means. Proper regulation and oversight of abortion providers, however, presumes the acceptance of abortion as a legitimate service, something too few people in authority are willing to offer. The more states try to restrict abortion to the point of unavailability, the more we will see this kind of horror story.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Perhaps people are reluctant to face this story head-on because it is a reminder of how abortions were performed prior to the Roe v. Wade decision - dirty, dangerous, back-alley - at least for women of limited means.
    That would be a reason for mainstream sources to give the same type of coverage to this story as the Sandy Hook massacre, and for right-wing blogs to downplay the story-instead, the exact opposite has occurred. The motivation that best matches the situation is that an overwhelmingly pro-choice media industry is reluctant to run a story that they believe cast the abortion industry (especially as it pertains to late-term abortions) in a bad light (especially among pro-choice moderates and low-information consumers who only pay attention to major stories), and a predominantly pro-life conservative blogosphere is eager to do exactly that.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, it's already clear you're gonna push this anti-left-wing scree no matter what possibilities someone tosses out so... enjoy that.

Personally, I do think the media across the board should have promoted it more openly, considering some of the other crazy (and often tragic) stuff that becomes national news. And not just as an anti-abortion statement, but to also highlight the kinds of conditions that contribute to this kind of activity occurring.

I think it's important that we as a culture have our eyes open to the choices we're making and how our laws work on a very personal level. We need to be tying cause -> effect.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    The motivation that best matches the situation is that an overwhelmingly pro-choice media industry is reluctant to run a story that they believe cast the abortion industry (especially as it pertains to late-term abortions) in a bad light (especially among pro-choice moderates and low-information consumers who only pay attention to major stories), and a predominantly pro-life conservative blogosphere is eager to do exactly that.
    What exactly is your goal in this thread? To raise awareness of the trial, to bitch about the media being more left-wing than you would prefer, to tell us that illegal, unsafe late-term abortions are bad, to remind us that you're anti-choice?

What are you proposing as a solution to whatever thing you're complaining about?
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I'm sorry. This story has nothing to do with pro-choice or pro-life debate. It's about malpractice. There are laws in place and safety concerns here that were disregarded. He and his staff broke the law by doing these late term abortions and not being qualified to perform medical procedures such as sedation and following sanitary guidelines.

He and his staff are a disgrace to the medical community as he and any other doctor or nurse that ignores the law and safety of their patients are a public threat and deserve the book being thrown at them.

Needless to say, I don't care how poor you are there is a responsibility on everyone here. Including and to a much lesser degree the patients themselves. Buyer beware. We no longer live in a time or society of silence. Abortion is legal. Contraception is easily obtained. Enough already.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Um, this guy sounds like a serial killer, not an abortion doctor. I'm not sure what liberals you think believe in THIRD TRIMESTER abortions, which are basically early-term deliveries, or actual murders.

I don't even believe in second trimester abortions.

I think women should have a right to choose first trimester abortions (though I'd never have one myself, I'm too sensitive, I couldn't live with the idea of it, I don't even like to kill bugs) because there's this thing, it's called free will, and science pretty much hasn't proven that an embryo is actually a person.

And people kill animals all the time, even though a vegetarian wouldn't.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    That would be a reason for mainstream sources to give the same type of coverage to this story as the Sandy Hook massacre, and for right-wing blogs to downplay the story-instead, the exact opposite has occurred. The motivation that best matches the situation is that an overwhelmingly pro-choice media industry is reluctant to run a story that they believe cast the abortion industry (especially as it pertains to late-term abortions) in a bad light (especially among pro-choice moderates and low-information consumers who only pay attention to major stories), and a predominantly pro-life conservative blogosphere is eager to do exactly that.
    Such a strategy would assume media outlets on either side, and especially the viewing/listening public, have more subtlety than they usually demonstrate. The kneejerk reaction is for any problems associated with abortion to be held up and therefore viewed as an indictment of all abortion and its preservation as a legal activity.

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    I'm sorry. This story has nothing to do with pro-choice or pro-life debate. It's about malpractice. There are laws in place and safety concerns here that were disregarded. He and his staff broke the law by doing these late term abortions and not being qualified to perform medical procedures such as sedation and following sanitary guidelines.

He and his staff are a disgrace to the medical community as he and any other doctor or nurse that ignores the law and safety of their patients are a public threat and deserve the book being thrown at them.

Needless to say, I don't care how poor you are there is a responsibility on everyone here. Including and to a much lesser degree the patients themselves. Buyer beware. We no longer live in a time or society of silence. Abortion is legal. Contraception is easily obtained. Enough already.
    The practicalities of obtaining an abortion are making it increasingly difficult for women to obtain them if they are not wealthy. This includes sharp reductions in the number of clinics and providers doing abortions, due often to excessive regulation over trivialities, or outright harrassment; mandatory waiting periods adding to the travel burden; consent requirements for minors; all on top of the original cost of the procedure. Birth control is more accessible, but can become quite costly if you don't have insurance, especially if you want something more sophisticated and reliable than a condom.

Yes, this particular case is clearly a case of malpractice. What would it have been, however, had it made the news before Roe v. Wade? It is as much related to the pro-choice/pro-life debate as regulating medical marijuana is related to the idea of legalizing it, or even taxing alchohol was to prohibition. Government cannot regulate something effectively to ensure safety and professionalism while at the same time working to make it illegal. Safety and professionalism thrive in an open atmosphere where people feel free to speak up, while prohibition of an activity just drives it underground. None of this excuses the behavior of the doctor in question. It just points out how we are moving closer to an environment in which people like him can flourish, rather than toward one in which no one would consider using his services because better options abound.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...