Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    I hope you see the irony in posting this in a thread complaining about stereotyping groups of people.

now excuse me, I have to tend to my bags of money and attend my bi-weekly Jewish conspiracy group. our topic this week is "defaming rural southern intelligence in the media." I'll let you know how it goes
    HAHAHA.

I was trying to make a point. I am sorry if I failed. I do not believe this about individual people who are ethnically Jewish, but was referring more to the conservative Jewish cultural norms I've witnessed.

I can't stop laughing about you tending to your bags of money.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post

Some people say that it's the Jews, but really the Jews are extremely proud of themselves. Being total racists themselves and thinking they're God's chosen people, though I'm horrified by the holocaust, they seem to do QUITE WELL for themselves financially and globally and think so much of themselves above "Gentiles" that outside of WWII I don't have a great deal of compassion, and I think this is where a lot of people get uncomfortable like "OMG THE JEWS" and it's like "yes, they're largely richer than you, and think they're better than you if you aren't a Jew. Tell me why you feel sorry for them again?"

The Irish in the U.S. are historically poor, working class, and looked down upon, with not a great deal of social power.
    I really hope this in an attempt at trolling. The level of cognitive dissonance and lack of awareness is shocking.

Um, there are a lot of Irish people in the North also.

How the hell are Irish people looked down upon in modern American society? I'm not talking about the 19th century, I'm talking about today. Jokes about being drunkards and having lots of kids that are mostly told by Irish-Americans themselves?

I have both Irish and Jewish ancestry. I've never experienced anything like prejudice or overheard ignorant comments because they didn't know who they were talking to because of being Irish. I can't say the same with regards to the Jewish thing. And that's been even more the case for me in rural America, although that was in Montana.

I thought you might had a point up until you started claiming that "it was 'cause they're Irish".

Also, how many bedrooms and bathrooms did your house growing up? You're talking a lot about class, so I'm curious what class you come from.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTP

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I think I get what Marmotini is driving at, actually. The main point that she seems to be making is that whatever territoriality exists isn't that different from territoriality that exists in inner city communities.

That's actually a valid point. I suppose for me, growing up within a five minutes drive of Philadelphia city limits, it's that I'm more used to one kind of territoriality, and less used to another. People are less threatened by something the more familiar they are with it, so I suppose that's in effect here.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Oh yes, and lest I forget my precious professor killjoy, closet ISFJ, @Magic Poriferan I never see you complain about my thinking or posting style when I agree with you or tell you what stellar arguments youre making for social class or economic concerns.
    Well, yeah? If I posit something I believe in, and you simply say you agree, what would I refute? There'd be no way to refute the agreement without apparently rejecting the thing I just posited. Now, if your agreement added an elaboration of your own, then there'd possibly be something to refute. but if it's nothing more than an agreement, I won't refute it and I wouldn't expect anyone to do differently.

When writing an OP, then someone tends to elaborate on a lot of ideas open to criticism. And I find when people disagree, they are much more inclined to elaborate than when they agree, thus providing more material for criticism.

You admitted yourself that youre sheltered. That doesnt mean all people from rural areas are sheltered or that all people from cities are wonderfully open minded from life experience.

In my observation, the most sheltered people tend to be the upper middle class from the suburbs, neither urban nor rural.
    Yes, in a lot of ways I was sheltered. However, a part of how I felt sheltered was the very fact that I grew up in East Bumblefuck, No Where Pennsylvania. One thing I couldn't be sheltered from is rural cultural. There is nothing I could have done to escape it because I was smack in the middle of it for the first 18 years of my life. And so I made this claim simply drawing on personal observation.

My reasoning was not that I am both sheltered and rural, therefore rural people must be sheltered. It was that my interaction with people in rural places showed them to be far more culturally ignorant and narrow than people in urban enviroments on average. Of course, I wasn't aware of the full extent of this until I actually moved to a city. But thanks to my above average literacy and curiosity, I was already able to notice that I knew more about cultural variations than most anyone I ran into.

Actually, that's probably true now that I'm in a city, too, so perhaps that isn't the best point. I'd still say it was more the case when I lived in rural areas.

Anyhow, if you don't credit any of my reading or academic education in that other thread, and you don't credit my 18 years of life experience in this thread, what source of knowledge do you credit, other than your own words?

It's almost like you just don't like the cognitive discomfort I'm causing you, because you're so comfortable with your bias against white Southerners.

I'm also explaining to you bits and pieces of the history of the South, and why Southerners are xenophobic and that they do have reasonable concerns when it comes to land and culture, even if many of them are expressing it in an unpleasant manner.
    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Which is great, except having gone to school in the Appalachian mountains, I've read books, watched documentaries, listened to speakers, interacted with people whose families are from these areas, and studied textbooks covering Southern, rural Southern, and Appalachian culture, in addition to actually living there. I have been educated in the history a pretty decent amount and feel like I have a fairly good grip on it, as much as an outsider can. Still, just because you understand why someone is hurting you doesn't necessarily make it hurt any less.
    That was like the quintessential exchange with Marm in a debate.

Seriously, Marm, you really need to stop assuming that people only disagree with you because they know less about the topic than you, and that everyone is just resisting the awesome truth you are revealing to them.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

I'd say referring to yourself as God's chosen people is pretty damn racist, my friend.
    Being one of God's chosen people means you have a responsibility to act like a role model for all of mankind, not being inherently superior to everybody else. If humanity starts to act sinful and slip its moral course, God will punish the Jews, not anybody else, for not doing their job. That referring to yourself as one of God's chosen people is the same as claiming to be elevated above all non-Jews is a widely spread misinterpration.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Isn't this what Jay Leno's "Jaywalking" segments were supposed to show - how the world, or at least the U.S., is full of ignorant idiots of all stripes?
    That's what I thought of, too.

"Where is the Gaza Strip located?"

"West Hollywood."
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

People will get information if they seek it. People will be ignorant if they don't. Believe it or not, you can watch T.V. and still be ignorant (yes, even the news channel that tells the "truth" is just one lens.) The best thing you can do is expose that ignorance rather than only rely on that one information..

It probably has to do more about rural areas not having as much access to information than someone who lives in the city or even the suburbs, but that is just a generalization.

I can drive about ~10 miles south of where I live now where these people's technology is still behind. Their connection is basically 56k, phone carriers aren't willing to upgrade the lines in those areas because it is a waste of money to them.

Basically life would "seem" slower in rural areas rather than someone in the city. But that, again, is a generalization.

People call my city boring, that there isn't anything to do, and that San Francisco has twice as many things to do. But what I find interesting is that people can still learn a lot by reading books (and lots of them) and that technology is not the only place for information.