User Tag List

First 1234 Last

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

When something is confounding to you, a good start for understanding might be giving the slightest shred of credit to someone who disagrees with you. That way, not everything you say is a useless self-indulgent monologue.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

@Marmotini It's obvious to outsiders too. I've picked up the negative stereotypes and insulting jokes about Southerners and that's only through media and what Americans have said to me. I've even met Southerners who actively attempt to distance themselves from other Southerners and the South, or try to hide their accent, and it always made me sad to see it. It upsets me when people are ashamed of where they're from. It's fine to be critical but still be proud.

I think media representation does need to be better. I'm always feel pleased when a film of TV show has portrays a Southern character as neither dumb nor a villain (which are the common stereotypes)- like Sawyer on Lost always reading these classic, intellectual novels.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    @Marmotini It's obvious to outsiders too.
    Its a socially acceptable form of prejudice (and often, outright bigotry) that permeates popular culture so much that people within the United States itself usually don't even notice it.

Edit: As for media portrayal, I'm usually pleasantly surprised when the South or Southern characteristics is not a.) villainized b.) ridiculed or (my favorite) c.) are unexceptionally normal and decent people who are explicitly portrayed as exceptional cases within the broader South.

I'm not pleasantly surprised very often....I actually remember this forgettable, now canceled TV show (Eleventh Hour) solely on the basis that they had an episode occur in a Georgia town, and none of the above happened. I was actually so grateful that I continued to watch the series long after I had lost any real interest in it.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Being a racially sensitive white I kind of feel like a spy, people say weird things in the company of others when they don't suspect any flags being raised.
    I know what you mean, not from a PC sensitive pov, more so because of the tons of assumptions people on the internet make about you once they think your in the same club (because I have liberterian tendencies in economic policy and am generally not very PC). They get everything other then my gender wrong. I indulge in the covert operation way too much.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    Its a socially acceptable form of prejudice (and often, outright bigotry) that permeates popular culture so much that people within the United States itself usually don't even notice it.
    Yes, that's the impression I've had too.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

I'm not denying that there is prejudice against Southern people, but there does seem to be a weird culture of nostalgia in the South for the confederacy that kind of squicks non-Southerners out, to be honest. To be fair, though, this can be found in rural regions of other areas of the country.

This exists, doesn't it? It's not just something in my head?
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    I'm not denying that there is prejudice against Southern people, but there does seem to be a weird culture of nostalgia in the South for the confederacy that kind of squicks non-Southerners out, to be honest. To be fair, though, this can be found in rural regions of other areas of the country.

That depends on what you consider 'nostalgia': Southerners tend to have a deep appreciation for history that complements our attachment to family and regional identity; this leads us to emphasize the positive aspects of our past (much as one tends to emphasize the positive aspects of their loved ones) that are unfortunately intertwined with the negative aspects, which outsiders tend to (willfully or ignorantly) interpret as endorsement of those same negative aspects. Basically, the rest of the country seems to expect Southerners to metaphorically defecate on the graves of our ancestors out of shame and designate to them the role of national whipping boy for all of the nation's collective historical sins, while Southerners refuse to go along with this, as to do so is a.) unfair and b.) essentially the same as abandoning our distinctive identity and culture. The controversy over the Southern flag is the most obvious manifestation of this dynamic, with outsiders regarding it as 'nostalgia' for the confederacy and endorsement of racism, and Southerners viewing it as an entrenched, emotionally salient symbol of their family, heritage, and regional homeland, no more of an endorsement of slavery or racism than the American flag is an endorsement of genocide (as well as slavery, etc.).

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post

definitely. i lived in what is barely considered the south (maryland) and the amount of confederate flags i saw was astounding. my across the street neighbor had a confederate flag bumper sticker that said "BITCH" on it . and it's still very segregated compared to other places i've lived. the most blatantly racist people i've been around were from michigan though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Tackling rural class prejudice, one Myers-Briggs Typology internet forum thread at a time.

World Renowned Historian and Typology Expert Marm, author of well over 20,000 outstanding internet posts on multiple forums that have forever changed the lives of millions around the world, and pretty fucking good source of wisdom on everything you'd ever want to know:

Another one of my broken record yearly responses because my political beliefs are too simple for bumper stickers, but are you suggesting people, as human beings, who "clump" information (see: "all") should be told to end their demeaning and often very funny stereotypes that destroy their neighbor's feelings while generating billions in revenue for five companies who employ em all, simultaneously advertizing and endorsing profitable behavior with propaganda.

I understand your arguments are always self-fueling, like a dog after its tail like a separate entity, (interesting because what are pets but hairy, human infantile-level quadrupedal mirror-servants -- "Having entirely surrounded herself with images of herself, Forum CatLady votes to continue looking inward in her relentless search for Truth) public self-therapy to exercise your restless imagination, but I don't know, I hear Bill O' Reilly wants his corpse stuffed under a pyramid.

I'm just here to put everything in perspective by saying that we are all dumb and should subscribe to this thread to educate themselves and discuss rural class prejudice and its global implications on my forthcoming half-hour struggle to rip my face off.

Hail Jesus

thinking of you

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    @Marmotini It's obvious to outsiders too. I've picked up the negative stereotypes and insulting jokes about Southerners and that's only through media and what Americans have said to me. I've even met Southerners who actively attempt to distance themselves from other Southerners and the South, or try to hide their accent, and it always made me sad to see it. It upsets me when people are ashamed of where they're from. It's fine to be critical but still be proud.

I think media representation does need to be better. I'm always feel pleased when a film of TV show has portrays a Southern character as neither dumb nor a villain (which are the common stereotypes)- like Sawyer on Lost always reading these classic, intellectual novels.
    Thank you for the verification. I know it I didn't imagine it, I attempted to change my accent for a very good reason (so that people would take me seriously outside of the South, IRL) and even my upper level English professors at university in WV told us "hey, the Southern dialect is a dialect. That's it. It's not wrong, it's not incorrect, it's just a dialect just like American Standard English is a dialect; it's just that the media accepts ASD as the standard in this country."

I mean the self-hatred of educated Southerners is almost like internalized racism. I watched with fascination on Duck Dynasty at how clever and intelligent these people with deep Louisiana accents are, and why am I even fascinated? There are brilliant Southerners. Tennessee Williams, William Faulkner, Harper Lee, Flannery O'Connor, and yes, Zelda Fitzgerald.

I remember reading a Henry Miller novel that cited in about 1940 that Southerners were the last truly interesting people in America, the intelligent types who are eccentric and lock themselves away and live a life separate from all of this post-modernism and corporate life...why isn't that in the media? The eccentric Southern artists and intellectuals who live with quirky passion?

Furthermore, all white Southerners aren't racist, all Southerners aren't white (many are African-American, some are now Mexican and Asian American) and all white people in the South didn't own slaves or have relatives who owned slaves. It was completely unheard of in the Appalachian region, a region too rocky and independent to be populated by the huge plantations of the wealthy deep South; the Appalachias were populated with small farms from independent families, and this is part of the reason why West Virginia separated from Virginia during the Civil War and joined the North; that's why it was literally brother against brother.

Even in the deeper South, "white trash" the most villified strata of white people in the South, are actually the least likely to have ancestors who owned slaves; why? Their families were too goddamned poor. I mean if they're sub-standard in terms of civilization in the 21st century, just try to fathom where their family was in the 19th century. Here's a hint: it wasn't owning a plantation.

Southern people in the popular American imagination are either asshole racists or complete morons. I too am pleased when the South is represented with realism, integrity, and fairness.

Thanks again for your post. There are many beautiful things about Southern culture. It shouldn't necessarily be destroyed because there are some bad things about it. There are bad things in the history of most human cultures.