User Tag List

12 Last

Default Susan Patton is a Traitor to America's Ruling Class

You might have come across the uproar over Susan Patton's letter urging ivy league women to marry while at university. Here's Ross Douthat's take:

SUSAN PATTON, the Princeton alumna who became famous for her letter urging Ivy League women to use their college years to find a mate, has been denounced as a traitor to feminism, to coeducation, to the university ideal. But really she’s something much more interesting: a traitor to her class.

Her betrayal consists of being gauche enough to acknowledge publicly a truth that everyone who’s come up through Ivy League culture knows intuitively — that elite universities are about connecting more than learning, that the social world matters far more than the classroom to undergraduates, and that rather than an escalator elevating the best and brightest from every walk of life, the meritocracy as we know it mostly works to perpetuate the existing upper class.

It would be like telling admissions offices at elite schools that they should seek a form of student-body “diversity” that’s mostly cosmetic, designed to flatter multicultural sensibilities without threatening existing hierarchies all that much. They don’t need to be told — that’s how the system already works! The “holistic” approach to admissions, which privileges résumé-padding and extracurriculars over raw test scores or G.P.A.’s, has two major consequences: It enforces what looks suspiciously like de facto discrimination against Asian applicants with high SAT scores, while disadvantaging talented kids — often white and working class and geographically dispersed — who don’t grow up in elite enclaves with parents and friends who understand the system. The result is an upper class that looks superficially like America, but mostly reproduces the previous generation’s elite.
    Complete article here: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/07/op...eton.html?_r=0

He doesn't even mention the fact that a lot of the minorities that are at these schools aren't the best and brightest African-Americans, but just rich privledged kids from foreign countries.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

The Discrete Charm of the Bourgeoisie

I've always said that the most important part of University is to teach working class kids how to be middle class.

So all the book learning and exams are to distract the mind so the University milieu can go to work and turn us into a nice bourgeiosie, so a nice bourgeois and a nice bourgeoise can meet, fall in love and marry, and reproduce the discrete charm of the bourgeoisie.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    He doesn't even mention the fact that a lot of the minorities that are at these schools aren't the best and brightest African-Americans, but just rich privledged kids from foreign countries.
    And by God, Ivy league schools should only be for rich, privileged white kids from the USA!
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Well, it's about money.
    Money typically is spent to create the potential for the school to raise even more money.
    You want the right donors and the right sponsors to support the university in question, and money and resources attracts even more resources (professors) and the like.

It's the typical compromise every venture faces... you're wedding idealism with the practical necessities of funding a university, and once too many people have their thumbs in the pie, it all takes a life of its own and to change things results in a potential loss of funding. That's where the deal with the devil gets you.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Its interesting because this whole system is something that the UK is very, very deliberately trying to emulated and copy as it restructures and reforms its own further and higher educational establishment to snare foreign money.

I wouldnt consider this treachery really, I dont know if its even first order "whistle blowing" since who is paying attention? Who cares? And of those that care who is organised enough to do anything about it?

If anything I've found that when rich people flaunt their undeserved privileges it only makes them more popular, either people are enjoying that status themselves or envying it and hoping to one day break into it themselves, its the Cribs phenomenon.

I've witnessed much less sophisticated systems of elite recruitment and quasi-fuedal patronage systems, what characterises them all is that unchallenged, open secret sort of character. Although there's a much worse thing than that, some people believe their own propaganda and are not knowingly acting in a calculating way.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I've always said that the most important part of University is to teach working class kids how to be middle class.

So all the book learning and exams are to distract the mind so the University milieu can go to work and turn us into a nice bourgeiosie, so a nice bourgeois and a nice bourgeoise can meet, fall in love and marry, and reproduce the discrete charm of the bourgeoisie.
    This it is exactly. A side note only. The class traitors divide in gender.

Shame-facedly, the boys fawn and smile. Uriah-heepishly, sheepishly. I have seen it so often.
    The Professor nods in acquiescence.

The girls smile, too. Boldly, trustingly, openly.
    They are already in the middle class.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Reading this thread I dont think that the education system and universities in northern ireland work this way, I think that the unis in the republic of ireland are a little like it (Trinity is a lot like it but then again Trinity and its associated similar institutions, such as private or religious halls of residence, do but they are like some totally different order of things to the "normal", there's elitism and then there's Elitism after all).

In the UK there is a multiple teir system with different sorts of elitism operating too but the idea of universities one and all seemlessly transforming working class kids into middle class kids doesnt seem real to me, not at all, there's more complex systems of exclusion in elite recruitment and reproduction than inclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
    This it is exactly. A side note only. The class traitors divide in gender.

Shame-facedly, the boys fawn and smile. Uriah-heepishly, sheepishly. I have seen it so often.
    The Professor nods in acquiescence.

The girls smile, too. Boldly, trustingly, openly.
    They are already in the middle class.
    I like your sentences -

Shame-facedly, the boys fawn and smile. Uriah-heepishly, sheepishly.

They are wonderfully evocative.

@wildcat

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Well, it's about money.
    Money typically is spent to create the potential for the school to raise even more money.
    You want the right donors and the right sponsors to support the university in question, and money and resources attracts even more resources (professors) and the like.

It's the typical compromise every venture faces... you're wedding idealism with the practical necessities of funding a university, and once too many people have their thumbs in the pie, it all takes a life of its own and to change things results in a potential loss of funding. That's where the deal with the devil gets you.
    I've come to some awful, commie, unamerican conclusion that education and profit motive don't really function together.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I've come to some awful, commie, unamerican conclusion that education and profit motive don't really function together.
    Oh how far have you fallen.
    Let us pray for your soul... right after we watch this college football game!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft