User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Default Has our culture gotten more entitled?

I heard a commentary where one person said millennial generation has a large degree of undeserved entitlement, and that they were "whiners". Since it was, from my point of view, an unsubstantiated claim, I thought it was nothing more than nostalgia-fueled "get off my lawn" rhetoric, but then I read this:

No noon meal for kids in debt at middle school

What was surprising to me was not that these kids were denied lunch, but how everyone else responded to this. When I was a kid it was a very common, well-known fact that if you didn't have money you couldn't get lunch. In fact, nobody even cared about this fact unless you were poor (like me) and eating cafeteria instead of sack lunch was a luxury, not a right.

Now the very same thing is called "bullying, child-neglect, and abuse". What's your take?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Well those kids are actually in a different generations from millennials and their parents most likely are also. So the article actually deals with gen x and z.

I agree that school lunch is bought and so you shouldn't be surprised if you don't get lunch. The problem seems to be more the credit card system. I the kids brought money everyday, there would be less of an issue because the relationship between giving money and getting food would be clearer.

I think the idea that milenials are entitled is unsubstantiated. For instance I hear many baby boomers and gen xers complaining about people living at home after college but they don't take into account the economy or the number of entry level positions which have been turned into unpaid internships. I thenonly way to gain the two to three years experience desired by a position is to work for free how can you support yourself? Even working and additional part time job outside of your nine to five you're still goin to be scraping by. Also the fact that with the now widespread use of the Internet by employers and candidates the level of competition is much tougher. For instance my grandmother suggested I find a job by walking into offices or dialing people out of the phone book. I did a few to appease her and of course I was alway refered to an online application process.

Internships and an ever raising retirement age and elderly "consultants" drawing salaries in what is basically retirement, I think are really screwing things up for milenials. And it's not like there's a lot of manufacturing or physical labor type positions ou could do even If you wanted to. I thought I read something about a college bubble. A bunch of degree holding people will end up working jobs they don't need degrees for and maybe in a generation or two people will stop going to college.

Don't put to much credence in that though. It's a combination of vague remembered readings and my own apocalyptic visions of our economic future.

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    I think the idea that milenials are entitled is unsubstantiated. For instance I hear many baby boomers and gen xers complaining about people living at home after college but they don't take into account the economy or the number of entry level positions which have been turned into unpaid internships. I thenonly way to gain the two to three years experience desired by a position is to work for free how can you support yourself? Even working and additional part time job outside of your nine to five you're still goin to be scraping by. Also the fact that with the now widespread use of the Internet by employers and candidates the level of competition is much tougher. For instance my grandmother suggested I find a job by walking into offices or dialing people out of the phone book. I did a few to appease her and of course I was alway refered to an online application process.
    I'm inclined to agree with this, work is harder to find that ever before and a lot of the people who complain about others being "work shy" dont take that into account, I do think that a lot of the people who are unwilling to work now are unable to because they lack a lot of the basic skills sets which people took for granted in the past but that's a way, way more complex deal than feelings of entitlement, infact I would characterise it as being more driven by feelings of desperation, panic and avoidance.

Like the OP and the second post here I've wondered about whether or not the entitlement scares of the present are just repeats of the ones in the past, I get that particularly because in a lot of ways I'm nostalgic for an age I never lived in, when mass movements mobilised for low paid, often unpleasant work, like mining rather than become dependent on benefits.

Although when I have seen people become outraged about things like no longer being entitled to cooked lunches at school rather than taking a lunch pail or lunch bag, its often because they dont possess, perhaps neither do their parents, nor do anyone they know, the skills to cope with that or know what to do. So being told you're not going to receive lunch amounts to you're having no lunch or you will not be fed, not you'll have to make alternative arrangements and it'll be no trouble to you, it could even be better for you and perferable to your present arrangement.

I know I took money for lunch for a while at school, I didnt actually like doing so, it was a hassel to be honest and I had to try and work out or ask what prices the different things were and in the main I went with a number of set meals which I did not particularly like. I also hated the lunch hall, there was the whole question of who to sit with, who to avoid, would you end up with a table full of people you didnt know, didnt want to know and the way ours was organised you had to walk in past a line of quing people and out past them again and that could be a virtual running of the gauntlet. Sometimes the people I'd be stuck sitting with were interested in anything but actually eating lunch, they'd flick food, eat some of it and dump the rest, give you a hard time if you didnt do likewise.

When I started taking lunch in a lunch box again I found I could eat it when I wanted, during the earlier break time if I wanted, then I'd have lunch free to spend any place other than the canteen and when I was a prefect myself and my friends could stand in a corridor by a radiator away from idiots for the whole of lunch and chat about whatever was going on.

WALMART

From the outlook I find this absurd, because I believe every child should be fed two meals in school for free at taxpayer expense.

School is the only guaranteed place a child can receive nourishment, it is absolutely ridiculous one should forgo the modern comfort of food for God knows what reason they don't have money.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    From the outlook I find this absurd, because I believe every child should be fed two meals in school for free at taxpayer expense.

School is the only guaranteed place a child can receive nourishment, it is absolutely ridiculous one should forgo the modern comfort of food for God knows what reason they don't have money.

Sarcasm?

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Sarcasm?

Not one iota.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Not one iota.
    Ahhhhhhhhhh! I still can't tell.

But assume your being sincere. Don't you think that it woul be a problem if parents depended on public schools to feed their children. In those circumstances I would suggest that the child be removed from that home. Schools are supposed to educate not to care for basic needs of children. Also the quality of public school foods is not something I think children should be eating twice a day.

Also, I'd probably be label a liberal by most people but even I think the idea of government provided food sets a ba precedent for kids. When you get into the "real world" ou have to pay for things, budget decide what you want and don't want. Even things like remembering your money or preparing a lunch in advance. There were times I either forgot my lunch/lunch money and didn't have a lunch. And it sucked. But I waited four hours went home and munched.

The school shouldn't be a child's only source of food. Assuming their parents are adequately providing breakfast and dinners (and snacks) a child isn't going to starve froma missed lunch. Also if the problem is lack of food being provided at home that's a welfare/DFCS issue, not a school issue. The problem would be an overall unsafe home environment.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

At the rate the US has food insecurity, getting DFCS involved in every food insecure household with children would probably completely break an already over-taxed system. Being hungry interferes with a child's ability to concentrate and learn. I think providing food for all children is a good solution because then you don't have to worry about whether all the kids have access to food or not. You know that they do.

It is a much cheaper solution than making every food insecure child a ward of the state and paying for all of their expenses and care. And that is what would likely happen to most of those kids because their parents just don't make enough to get by and foodstamps are generally not enough to feed a family for the entire month.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

I don't really get the feeling that it has.
    Dirt Farmer

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Ok, I'm an earlier Gen Y (born 1983) but when I was in middle school they had tax-based basic lunches much like you had in elementary school and in high school they had two seperate lines: One for tax-paid lunches (which were very basic, somewhat crappy food) and then a paid line which was basically dominos OR you had the option of going off campus to get lunch but you HAD to be back for your other classes.

As such, having school-paid lunches is something we had up and until 2002 at least where I lived (when I graduated) so taking those away and then turning around and calling kids entitled for not having money for lunch strikes me as really stupid.
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson