User Tag List

First 12

Results 11 to 20 of 20

  1. #11
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Five cents of debt was enough for cafeteria employees at the Coehlo Middle School to instruct kids at least one day this week to dump out the food they would have normally eaten
    Fifth-grader Victoria Greaves, 11, said she and other students who had already been served their lunch were told to throw it in the trash when they reached the checkout.
    This is idiotic. They wasted food that could have been given to hungry children.

    I don't think it's entitlement, but just having gotten used to school covering for students without lunch. The way I see it, middle school aged kids can't be expected to handle financial management, and it's counterproductive to the school system to have kids not be at their best for learning. Personally I would prefer for schools to provide food to all students.

    What kills me is that we act as if it's justified to do this - which I would understand if all the money in the government were already earmarked for social justice and humanitarian programs, but plenty of it goes to less than necessary spending - dinners, parties, travel fare, decorating, and so on. We act as if there's no extra money to provide hungry kids with 2 pieces of bread and a floppy piece of cheese - yeah right.

    The problem isn't resources, it's allocation.

  2. #12
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    This is idiotic. They wasted food that could have been given to hungry children.

    I don't think it's entitlement, but just having gotten used to school covering for students without lunch. The way I see it, middle school aged kids can't be expected to handle financial management, and it's counterproductive to the school system to have kids not be at their best for learning. Personally I would prefer for schools to provide food to all students.

    What kills me is that we act as if it's justified to do this - which I would understand if all the money in the government were already earmarked for social justice and humanitarian programs, but plenty of it goes to less than necessary spending - dinners, parties, travel fare, decorating, and so on. We act as if there's no extra money to provide hungry kids with 2 pieces of bread and a floppy piece of cheese - yeah right.

    The problem isn't resources, it's allocation.
    Throwin out the food is dumb and wastefull. But I don't think it's bad thy kids learn that no one is just going to give you stuff for free. Try that in any restaurant/grocery.

    It's not really an issue of where government money is going. It shouldn't be the schools job to feed children. That their parents job. And middle schoolers are perfectly capable of taking either money or a packed lunch to school. I agree the cards are stupid and too confusing. But in the end it's not the schools fault kids went hungry it's the parents

  3. #13
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    At the rate the US has food insecurity, getting DFCS involved in every food insecure household with children would probably completely break an already over-taxed system. Being hungry interferes with a child's ability to concentrate and learn. I think providing food for all children is a good solution because then you don't have to worry about whether all the kids have access to food or not. You know that they do.

    It is a much cheaper solution than making every food insecure child a ward of the state and paying for all of their expenses and care. And that is what would likely happen to most of those kids because their parents just don't make enough to get by and foodstamps are generally not enough to feed a family for the entire month.
    I think this would just cause further problems because people would rely on the government to feed their children through schools. Giving negligent parents a pass and minimizing the visibility of people struggling with poverty. If a large enough group of people, like you are describing, cannot feed their children. I think the school lunch idea is really treating the symptoms but not an actual cure.


    I'm not upset that tax money goes to school lunches. Feedin kids is better than a lot of other things the to erect does. However I do think it's a problem when the government ether than parents are responsible for their child's basic needs.

  4. #14
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Throwin out the food is dumb and wastefull. But I don't think it's bad thy kids learn that no one is just going to give you stuff for free. Try that in any restaurant/grocery.

    It's not really an issue of where government money is going. It shouldn't be the schools job to feed children. That their parents job. And middle schoolers are perfectly capable of taking either money or a packed lunch to school. I agree the cards are stupid and too confusing. But in the end it's not the schools fault kids went hungry it's the parents
    I understand your logic, but at the same time, why should the students suffer as the result of poor decisions made by their parents? It seems to me that's punishing the wrong target.

    Plus, I think it's fairly clear to any student receiving a cheese sandwich while other students receive pizza that they're not just getting a free ride.

  5. #15
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    I understand your logic, but at the same time, why should the students suffer as the result of poor decisions made by their parents? It seems to me that's punishing the wrong target.

    Plus, I think it's fairly clear to any student receiving a cheese sandwich while other students receive pizza that they're not just getting a free ride.
    Its still a free ride to get something for nothing. Which sounds cold but that's how the world works. And of course it's not the child's fault, but allowing the school to take over for negligent parents only gives parents greater freedom to ignore their responsibilities. If its a reoccurring problem then children should probably have different care givers. Or if the family cannot afford lunches then I think there is a need based reason to provide lunches.

  6. #16
    i love skylights's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne
    Posts
    7,835

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Its still a free ride to get something for nothing. Which sounds cold but that's how the world works. And of course it's not the child's fault, but allowing the school to take over for negligent parents only gives parents greater freedom to ignore their responsibilities. If its a reoccurring problem then children should probably have different care givers. Or if the family cannot afford lunches then I think there is a need based reason to provide lunches.
    And that's all fine in theory but what happens in reality is changes take forever to go through in the bureaucracy and no one wants their funding to be knocked down to pay for someone else, especially within school systems that already struggle for funding, and poor kids from poor families end up being impoverished both at home and at school. It wouldn't be the way the world worked if people would suck it up and help one another, but so many greedy assholes can't stand to think of giving an extra dime away because they really need that new Hummer and a stuffed offshore bank account and 3 houses and a private jet.

  7. #17
    Senior Member Pseudo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx
    Posts
    2,051

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    And that's all fine in theory but what happens in reality is changes take forever to go through in the bureaucracy and no one wants their funding to be knocked down to pay for someone else, especially within school systems that already struggle for funding, and poor kids from poor families end up being impoverished both at home and at school. It wouldn't be the way the world worked if people would suck it up and help one another, but so many greedy assholes can't stand to think of giving an extra dime away because they really need that new Hummer and a stuffed offshore bank account and 3 houses and a private jet.


    I agree with your sentiments definitely. I'm not opposed to tax paid basic lunch being provided as a perscription for a bad system. But I don't understand the moral outrage that kids aren't getting food if the forget their lunch money

  8. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    49

    Default

    ...
    Last edited by Sy_; 04-13-2013 at 07:56 PM.

  9. #19
    Paranoid Android Video's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi
    Posts
    3,177

    Default

    In the "real world", it is common sense that food must be paid for. But this is different because:

    "Employees had taken it upon themselves to institute this change; it was not condoned or approved," said Whitson spokeswoman Holly Von Seggern. "We had absolutely no idea."
    Kids with a negative balance usually receive "a cheese sandwich, a fruit and vegetable, and milk." Then the company contacts the parents about payment.
    The upset is because this was a surprise. The policies that were common knowledge within the school's patrons were overturned without warning, as an act of disobedience on the worker level. Not that I disagree with what they did in principle (the execution was shitty and self-defeating, though, for reasons already addressed on this page).
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

    RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

    Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

  10. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Posts
    49

    Default

    ...
    Last edited by Sy_; 04-13-2013 at 07:57 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Has the Forum Become More Sensitive?
    By Orangey in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 198
    Last Post: 08-01-2015, 11:46 PM
  2. Why is our culture of acceptance so hypocritical?
    By netzealot in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 138
    Last Post: 06-06-2013, 09:21 AM
  3. Social darwinism underpins our culture and politics?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-02-2013, 04:41 PM
  4. Has it gotten silent in here after all those sexual threads?
    By UnitOfPopulation in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-01-2009, 04:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO