User Tag List

Default Cynical ploy or conservative commentary?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2...welfare-attack

In the UK there's recently been a case reach the sentencing stage for two parents who killed their children in an arson attack on their own home which has been linked by conservative politicians to the lifestyle the parents were leading as benefit dependents, the link is one that I think many conservatives would make and do make routinely in many less dramatic cases believing that benefits "breed" this sort of behaviour, that said there's been other conservatives who have criticised the linking of benefits and behaviour in this way, suggesting that while the availability of benefits may be responsible for so much in the way of becoming "work shy" or corrupt it is unlikely to lead to people killing their own children, that its an absurd leap to make.

What's your view about this? Was it right to comment as this politician did? Or was it a cynical ploy? Perhaps not a cynical ploy but foolish overstatement?

In political discourse, it's trendy to massage, warp, or outright change the meaning and context of a news event so that it suddenly becomes something that "proves" an already-entrenched pet belief. Like this guy: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3000911.html

We used to let events tell us things instead of using them to further agendas that have no actual evidential support.

I think that's all this is.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

That's interesting, so in place of reportage there's some kind of biased infotainment now instead?

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    That's interesting, so in place of reportage there's some kind of biased infotainment now instead?
    This can't be the first time you've had that thought.

Ratings driven news is one of the worst externalities of the information age.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post

We used to let events tell us things instead of using them to further agendas that have no actual evidential support.
    I don't know when that time was and I don't think that's anything new, though infotainment itself is new.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    This can't be the first time you've had that thought.

Ratings driven news is one of the worst externalities of the information age.
    Its not no, I was clarifying if that was what the other poster thought, I dont assume I'm on the same wave length as people that often. Not anymore.

Ratings driven news? Do you think its a by product/externality caused by market forces or democracy's deterioration into popularity contests?

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    I don't know when that time was and I don't think that's anything new, though infotainment itself is new.
    I dont assume it hinges on any sort of innateness deal though, a lot of things are context specific as you say infotainment is new. At least in a deliberate rather than unconscious sense.

Society

There was a research in american minds (psychology journal) showing a corrolation between how much a culture values children and how expensive it is to raise them. a bit of a chicken & the egg if you ask me, but if you ask the researchers they think we add value to justify the cost - while other cultures view the child as another set of hands in the farm or sweatshop.

MBTI
    INTP

"Infotainment" is over 100 years old at least.

(See Yellow Journalism.)