User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Comparing George W. Bush to Warren Harding is a slight to Warren Harding, who was a very decent man.
    Despite his having affairs with numerous women, his record of almost unparalleled White House corruption, the fact that he was famously blackmailed, that he wasted enormous amounts of money, he was a raging alcoholic, and he basically managed to accomplish utterly nothing during his blessedly cut short Presidency? Matewan massacre, anyone? Listen, Warren Harding didn't preside over the Presidency during the time when a civil war broke out like Buchanan did, but that was probably just because he got lucky. The man was one of the most useless morons ever to hold the office. George W. Bush might be a knuckle-dragging mouth-breather, but Warren Harding was *amazingly* incompetent.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Mocoso View Post
    Despite his having affairs with numerous women, his record of almost unparalleled White House corruption, the fact that he was famously blackmailed, that he wasted enormous amounts of money, he was a raging alcoholic, and he basically managed to accomplish utterly nothing during his blessedly cut short Presidency? Matewan massacre, anyone? Listen, Warren Harding didn't preside over the Presidency during the time when a civil war broke out like Buchanan did, but that was probably just because he got lucky. The man was one of the most useless morons ever to hold the office. George W. Bush might be a knuckle-dragging mouth-breather, but Warren Harding was *amazingly* incompetent.
    He also wasn't the one committing the corruption, it's not a sin to be a victim of blackmail nor an alcoholic, and doing very little as President is usually a very positive thing. His pardon of Eugene Debs and other WWI dissidents gets him a gold star right there (Debs was jailed by his predecessor Woodrow Wilson, who was a complete monster, maybe the single worst president we've ever had).
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Mocoso View Post
    I say Bush actually stands as the worst president ever. He even beats Harding, Buchanan, and Pierce... (possible even Jefferson Davis ).

Harding, was a do nothing president, an idiot, who let his friends pull off one crime after another, still didn't actually harm the country as much as Bush has. It's hard to not only fail, but to actually sabotage and destroy in so many different arenas of politics. Bush has done this. Failed war, poisoned economy, threatened civil rights, partisan acrimony and character assassinations, torture scandals, bungling of disaster response, and probably the lowest international popularity the country has ever had. And as Mercury was saying, Harding seemed to have a greater sense of self-awareness. It really seems like Bush is a guiltless child.

Oh, yeah... and why do people always leave out the fact that it was the Bush administration's responsiblity to deal with 9/11? It's amazing how that attack has worked in his favor!

I don't care about a president's personal life, so long as it doesn't affect his performance. I can't believe how much people freaked out over the Monica Lewinski thing. You know, Clinton refused to ban landmines, but who the hell talks about that?
    Last edited by Magic Poriferan; 06-24-2008 at 11:50 PM. Reason: added something
    Go to sleep, iguana.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Clinton is more to blame for 9/11. He's to blame for the economy crashing near the end of his presidency. He's not to blame for the good economy he was given - that was a legacy of Regan and Bush. His idiotic policies almost left us in a second great depression, and only radically-senseless Republican policies were able to cushion it, followed by the fed going crazy. However, it probably did little more than prolong the inevitable - we're going down.

I agree with pure_mercury on Woodrow Wilson, who clearly beats them all, except Lincoln, who is the absolute worst in the history of the US.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    OMNi

Bush has done for America what Islamo-facist extremists could never even hope of accomplishing. But that is the danger of electing a terrorist to fight terrorists.

I think Lincoln was the worst president ever since he sparked off the bloodiest war in American history and a complete division of the country. Everyone knows that whole "free the slaves" shtick was just pandering to the abolitionists voters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Anything you hate about Shrub's policies were a Democrat's wet dream. He happened to have some sane conservatives in his cabinet, but all the major evil legislation was totally supported by Democrats.

You can blame Hillary and Obama, at least in part, for some of the most heinous unconstitutional legislation during Shrub's terms in office.

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Clinton is more to blame for 9/11. He's to blame for the economy crashing near the end of his presidency. He's not to blame for the good economy he was given - that was a legacy of Regan and Bush.
    Oh, God. Not the latency theory... :rolli:
    So, Bush Jr. only does bad because of Clinton, and Clinton does well because of Reagan and Bush Sr., and I presume that anything bad that happened in the early days of Reagan was because of Carter? Observe how the transition has nothing to do with time period, but has everything to do with which party is in power.

And further more, Bush I had the good sense to call Reagan's plans "voodoo economics". In fact, he was shockingly accurate in every way he ripped Reagan up in the primaries. But after losing, he wasn't going to turn down being VP now was he? And it's sad too, he probably lost re-election because he raised taxes, even though it was the only way to undo the damage caused by policies of his predecessor (and it certainly didn't undo all of it).

His idiotic policies almost left us in a second great depression,
    When did this start becoming fact? Alan Greenspan said Clinton was the most economically sound president he ever worked with. And you know... the enormous amount of growth under his presidency. But I suppose that was Reagan, right?

However, it probably did little more than prolong the inevitable - we're going down.
    Okay, that much I'm going to agree with.

I agree with pure_mercury on Woodrow Wilson, who clearly beats them all, except Lincoln, who is the absolute worst in the history of the US.
    Woodrow was pretty terrible. But what's your problem with Abe?
    Last edited by Magic Poriferan; 06-25-2008 at 12:23 PM.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Alan Greenspan created much of the economic mess we're in. Clinton set it in motion with his idiotic tax changes. Taxes are very slow to affect the economy, they can take 8-10 (or more) years to make their way through the system. Interest rate (the real voodoo) changes have very rapid effects, but making extreme changes and maintaining them have extreme long-term effects. Shrub is to blame for some of it (the upcoming extreme recession (or worse)) because pandering to his corporate lobbyists accelerated the effects of stupid choices aimed at avoiding a recession.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    I say Bush actually stands as the worst president ever. He even beats Harding, Buchanan, and Pierce... (possible even Jefferson Davis ).
    I say we're too in-the-moment to judge. You've got to give a president ten years after he's out of office to form a solid personal opinion, 25 years for the pundits to settle in, a half-century for him to really find his place in history.

Bush is one of the most unpopular presidents ever, it's true; but worst? Only time will tell.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Oh, God. Not the latency theory... :iroll:
    So, Bush Jr. only does bad because of Clinton, and Clinton does well because of Reagan and Bush Sr., and I presume that anything bad that happened in the early days of Reagan was because of Carter? Observe how the transition has nothing to do with time period, but has everything to do with which party is in power.

And further more, Bush I had the good sense to call Reagan's plans "voodoo economics". In fact, he was shockingly accurate in every way he ripped Reagan up in the primaries. But after losing, he wasn't going to turn down being VP now was he? And it's sad too, he probably lost re-election because he raised taxes, even though it was the only way to undo the damage caused by policies of his predecessor (and it certainly didn't undo all of it).

When did this start becoming fact? Alan Greenspan said Clinton was the most economically sound president he ever worked with. And you know... the enormous amount of growth under his presidency. But I suppose that was Reagan, right?

Okay, that much I'm going to agree with.

Woodrow was pretty terrible. But what's your problem with Abe?
    I had some thoughts on why Lincoln is so overrated in this thread:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...91-post22.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...22-post24.html
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"