12 Last

Thread: 3D printed guns

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default 3D printed guns

Guns and 3D printing: Making gun parts virtually from scratch

During his State of the Union address earlier this month, President Barack Obama spoke of three-dimensional printing and its potential to transform industry in the United States.

But its also transforming the gun debate. It's now possible for people using relatively inexpensive devices to become their own gunsmiths.

Some say its just an extension of the Second Amendment while others on Capitol Hill say it's a threat to public safety.

Tucked away in the spare bedroom of a Glen Burnie apartment, some would say that is the sound of progress - of technology allowing Travis Lerol, 30, to do something a year ago he could not.

Lerol, a software engineer, is working with a $1,300 3D printer. It prints in hard plastic and he's using it to make gun parts.

“I'm going to take to range soon and give it a test,” said Lerol of the printed parts of his semi-automatic rifle.

A group in Texas claims it's used a 3D printer to make components for an assault rifle. The group has also posted its designs online for others to download.

Kevin Armentrout's company, ABC Imaging, does industrial-grade 3D printing. He says even his high-end equipment can't make a working gun.

“Right now I don't think the technology is there just yet,” said Armentrout. “Especially not on a consumer level.”

While it’s possible to make gun parts, the concern by some is that as this printing technology gets better, somebody could fabricate an entire weapon at home and it would be completely untraceable.

New York Congressman Steve Israel, a democrat, is trying to make it illegal for people to use 3D printers to make guns or gun parts by renewing the Undetectable Firearms Act which is set to expire at the end of the year.

“I don't want to sit back and let terrorists to literally use 3D printers to manufacture plastic guns and plastic guns parts, put them on planes bring them anywhere they want and fire them and injure my constituents or anybody else,” said Rep. Israel.

Israel says he is not trying to regulate the 3D printing industry. But he doesn’t want people making untraceable and undetectable guns at home.

The Undetectable Firearms Act of 1988 makes it illegal to manufacture or possess any firearm that is not as detectable by walk-through metal detectors. The act was renewed in 2003, signed by President Bush and set to expire on 12/31/13.

“I don't think there's any practical danger of someone printing an untraceable weapon,” said Lerol. “And if they did the round would set off metal detectors.”

It’s a growing debate over technology that's changing what's possible with its every move.
    http://www.wjla.com/articles/2013/02...ate-85688.html

@Bolded is scary.

Printed ak-47 magazine being tested:

Printed plastic crossbow:

They aren't able to make an entire firearm yet, but a crossbow alone can be very dangerous with the proper ammo.

Thoughts?
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

-----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

These printers are quite a ways from being able to produce material strong enough to serve as a chamber that can withstand repeated rounds being fired.

Not only that, but until they can also produce a rifled barrel, the bullet will not be going where you point it. You could make a better gun in your garage with some metal pipe and a few other odds and ends.

You couldn't pay me to use a plastic crossbow. Maybe with a gimpy practice bolt, but not much else. When either bow or crossbow breaks, you risk that shit flying back into your chest or arm.

I'll be happy to hear about stories in the Darwin awards though.

MBTI
    xxTP

I heard about this a while ago. I can't get my head round that shit, I'll leave it to all the forum INTJ-enuises to explain how it works.

MBTI
    ISTP

If anything, this just shows how flimsy and unsubstantial some of the proposed gun laws are, such as magazine capacity limitations. Yeah, let's just ban that one plastic piece that you can now totally reproduce.

I say, the US should either do a gun ban that makes sense and works, like Japan, who has extremely restrictive laws, or Switzerland who instead limits the sale of ammunition... either do that, or nothing at all.

Also, cmon people. Plastic guns? Do you really think plastic can maintain the structural integrity required to contain the combustion of a round? And how will they be able to go onto planes? Plastic bullets too? How will the chambering mechanism work without a spring strong enough to work with the round combustion?

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by LevelZeroHero View Post
    I say, the US should either do a gun ban that makes sense and works, like Japan, who has extremely restrictive laws, or Switzerland who instead limits the sale of ammunition... either do that, or nothing at all.
    Well. which is it?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Well. which is it?
    Despite being a gun enthusiast myself, I am on board with giving up my right if that meant a safer environment for children... but it doesn't. So either way would be better than the half-baked suggestions which only annoying legit owners and prevent nothing.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

I heard about this a while ago. I can't get my head round that shit, I'll leave it to all the forum INTJ-enuises to explain how it works.
    Basically like an inkjet printer but with with glue instead of ink. The printer head travels around squeezing out liquid plastic like a tiny play-doh machine. Kinda like it would be if you pulled the lever making a soft-serve ice cream cone out of thousand levels of ice cream..one swirl each layer. Each layer melts into the next and while building it up it all sticks together.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Well. which is it?
    Do nothing.