User Tag List

First 12

Thread: 3D printed guns

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    Do nothing.
    Nothing to guns maybe, but nothing in general? A lot of good would come out of universal background checks. Either that, or let me mow down random people at gun shows. Just for the hell of it. Either/or

edit: They'll be armed too, of course. This could be a little free zone for everyone to get their kicks.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Nothing to guns maybe, but nothing in general? A lot of good would come out of universal background checks. Either that, or let me mow down random people at gun shows. Just for the hell of it. Either/or
    5-day background checks mandatory on all firearms sales, not just handguns (which have a 5 day waiting period because they are most commonly used for crime), and ratchet up the background checks for gun shows to at least the instant version currently used for rifle sales today... say, a background check to get into the show or leave with a purchased firearm.

Sure, it'd be hugely unpopular but I think that it could possibly be accepted by the NRA community if semi-auto assault rifles and 30 round magazines were left alone.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post

edit: They'll be armed too, of course. This could be a little free zone for everyone to get their kicks.
    You guys talk about gun shows like its the wild west.

The vast, and I really do mean vast, number of transactions that occur at gun shows are from licensed vendors who in return have to do a background check.

MILLER: The gun-show loophole myth

“The law already requires licensed gun dealers to run background checks, and over the last 14 years that’s kept 1.5 million of the wrong people from getting their hands on a gun,” said Mr. Obama, when he announced his gun-violence task force results on Jan. 16. “But it’s hard to enforce that law when as many as 40 percent of all gun purchases are conducted without a background check.”

The 40 percent figure that Mr. Obama and Sen. Dianne Feinstein, California Democrat, cite so frequently comes from a 1997 Justice Department survey. A closer look at that 40 percent number reveals it includes 29 percent of gun owners who said they got their guns from family members or friends and acquaintances.

That leaves 11 percent of firearms obtained through unfamiliar people. Of these, 3 percent reported they got their firearms “through the mail,” a process that requires a background check from a federally licensed firearms dealer. Four percent said “other,” and 4 percent made their purchase at a gun show.

The “gun-show loophole” is an exaggeration designed to foster the false impression that this is how the bad guys acquire firearms. A 2001 Justice Department survey found 0.7 percent of state and federal prison inmates bought their weapons at a gun show.
    Good luck getting someone to self submit to a background check because they want to trade their ruger revolver to their buddy for his over under duck gun.

I just don't see these checks being enforceable.

Quote Originally Posted by LevelZeroHero View Post
    5-day background checks mandatory on all firearms sales, not just handguns (which have a 5 day waiting period because they are most commonly used for crime), and ratchet up the background checks for gun shows to at least the instant version currently used for rifle sales today... say, a background check to get into the show or leave with a purchased firearm.

Sure, it'd be hugely unpopular but I think that it could possibly be accepted by the NRA community if semi-auto assault rifles and 30 round magazines were left alone.
    It doesn't sound like much, but I think it goes a long way. On day-to-day terms, any sane gun owner would want to their own version of "background checks" too. No one wants an acquaintance who owns a gun and has a shady past, is fucked in the head, or generally makes stupid life choices. If you don't mind that, then you're one of these fools yourself. Implementing those kind of laws is just a federal way of implementing the same thing you do to your peers, in an informal way.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by LevelZeroHero View Post

I'll accept all that, with a separate law barring the Federal government from ever banning semiautomatic weapons (with the exclusion being that states can do what they want legislatively).

If it really is not the lefts intention to one day disarm the populace, then prove it.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'll accept all that, with a separate law barring the Federal government from ever banning semiautomatic weapons (with the exclusion being that states can do what they want legislatively).

If it really is not the lefts intention to one day disarm the populace, then prove it.
    Before I comment let me make it clear, I am a pretty die-hard firearm user. I have owned various high-powered firearms including military grade handguns, combat shotguns, suppressors, and the prime of my collection, a Sako TRG-22 (.308) which shoots .5 MOA out past 1,000 yards. I have also CCW in the past although I don't anymore. I don't have an agenda here when I say that I don't think firearm laws have necessarily shown a pattern of progressive restrictiveness. It's more that firearms have become more advanced and our ability to attain a standard level of firepower has remained relatively the same. The 2nd amendment was written when the deadliest weapon was a musket that took like a minute to reload so I don't entirely take it to mean that we are entitled to fully automatic weapons on home soil.

Now, I don't see why semi-automatics should be touched and I can totally agree with you there. And while we're at it, caliber shouldn't really be touched either. Magazines size restrictions have always struck me as fairly petty. So that pretty much leaves just class III and above and how easy it is to get everything else.

Considering you can get a weapon in the US without any firearms knowledge (even CCW) and a lot of countries require that, I think we can afford to tighten down the requirements to get one... what anti-gun advocates don't seem to understand though is that what guns are available as of now really is not the critical issue, and there would be no way to effectively limit their use without throwing out the 2nd amendment.

The problem of gangs and gun related violence is a whole other can of worms that has nothing to do with gun restrictions. I acknowledge that. There's a deeper systemic problem at the root there that has nothing to do with guns (lack of opportunity and mobility/shitty educational infrastructure/and an influx of drugs to find employment with..and fight for. THEN the guns come into the picture). When I talk about background checks, it's more about fringe individuals. I don't "like" people who take gun culture too seriously, but that's not a crime. It only annoys me in the same way people might take car stereos or train sets too seriously. Great.. enjoy it.. but get a fucking life. That's all I can say about that. I like primitive weapons myself, but I know when to shut up about it.