User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Default PETA Shenanigans

Lately there's been some buzz about PETA for its new strategy involving the distribution of Zerg-friendly leaflets at the launch party of Starcraft II.

Taken from their official blog--

StarCraft players gearing up for the launch of StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm will be getting a new perspective on the game's arthropodal extraterrestrials, the Zerg.

PETA—or, as we are renaming ourselves in honor of the expansion pack's launch, "Terrans for the Ethical Treatment of Zerglings"—will attend tonight's launch event in Irvine, California, and distribute copies of our new "Zerglings Have Feelings, Too" leaflets as a reminder that gamers and nongamers alike should have compassion for all beings—even those who are very different from us.
    Personally I think it's going to garner them the wrong kind of attention. What think you of their PR move?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Like most of their PR moves, it's laughable and won't actually get them any good PR.

I think PETA is helpful when they get really serious (and there are many issues to be seriously pissed about), but I don't see the point in this.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Guy V. Malaxia View Post
    Personally I think it's going to garner them the wrong kind of attention. What think you of their PR move?
    Ever since their Pokemon parody, I don't think they really have to be worried about being taken too seriously by gamers.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

When I first heard about it from an acquaintance I thought he was kidding. Surely one of the big-wigs at PETA would've realized this is a horrible decision? Apparently not, which is a shame; there are certainly some critical issues about animal treatment and the likes that need an organization with as much name recognition as PETA to champion its cause, but it appears that the brand is run by the very creatures it advocates.

Oh well. The article made me laugh, at least.

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

as a reminder that gamers and nongamers alike should have compassion for all beings—even those who are very different from us.
    "Gamers are less ethical, have less compassion and less moralistic as compared to non-gamers."

Edit: if they really wanted to target gamers they should have taken it a step further than to include the stupid Zerg (whom you're supposed to kill anyway, implying that gamers kill animals for fun).

They could have used Kerrigan as a model, and then say that being kind to animals prevents you from becoming a monster like Kerrigan.
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

Has anything they've done ever garnered the right kind of attention? It seems to me that everything they do is designed to galvanize their base and piss everyone else off. It's not really the way to go about winning people over.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

And then there's the point about how the Zerg aren't even in control of their actions anyway. Being slaved to the Overmind. Kerrigan. Whoever.

Honestly do they even know anything about these games other than what's printed on the back of the box? Strike two for PETA.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Strike way more than two. I urge anyone who still thinks PETA is a productive animal rights organization to watch this episode of Penn & Teller's "Bullshit!"

It's long but worth watching. They do drop some F-bombs so don't watch it at work unless you work somewhere cool (where it's okay to watch a half hour long video with F-bombs). PETA actually does a lot that is counterproductive to animal wellbeing or downright cruel. No sincere, informed animal advocate I know is pro-PETA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Strike way more than two. I urge anyone who still thinks PETA is a productive animal rights organization to watch this episode of Penn & Teller's "Bullshit!"

It's long but worth watching. They do drop some F-bombs so don't watch it at work unless you work somewhere cool (where it's okay to watch a half hour long video with F-bombs). PETA actually does a lot that is counterproductive to animal wellbeing or downright cruel. No sincere, informed animal advocate I know is pro-PETA.
    I'm not necessarily disputing the premise, but I'm not sure I want to listen to Penn's arguments either. He's a libertarian. They're the last people I want to hear about animal rights from (whether they're intelligent, liberal, conservative, etc.. Their underlying mentality goes against the whole idea of regulation anyways).