User Tag List

First 123

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Can you honestly say that the posts in this thread are ridiculing the idea of the city, and not libertarians/anarcho-capitalists/"randroids" etc.
    Yes, although admittedly the fact that it's a perfect crystallization of their theories makes the line a bit fuzzy.

I just don't think it's a valid test of Randian theory, because it's not a self-sufficient system. It requires support and infrastructure from an outside nation whose citizens are not playing by the same rules. As Marm said, the way it's laid out in that article just makes it sound like a gated community, not a nation.

Then again, perhaps a walled-up nation that leeches off of a neighboring nation actually is the perfect realization of Randian theory. After all, if the commuting gardeners and butlers were smart enough and talented enough, they'd have the $300 large.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    And yes in September, 1893, Oz formed a utopian settlement in Paraquay in South America.

And today these expatriates are still living in the settlement in Paraquay.

It didn't turn out as they expected mainly because of division over strict rules. But the settlement persisted and we have these funny Aussies in Paraguay today.
    No I mean this.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Can you honestly say that the posts in this thread are ridiculing the idea of the city, and not libertarians/anarcho-capitalists/"randroids" etc.

I admit I believe the idea is flawed, I did so in my original post in this thread, but the tone of the posts here are slightly irritating. So much polarization.
    Yes, the title is intended to be humorous and mocking, but it's based in the true facts that I've been saying they should get themselves an island and leave the rest of us the hell alone for positively years, and it's nice to see that someone took my advice.

In all seriousness, I tried to give right-wing libertarianism a fair shake, and I even read some Ayn Rand back in the day, and I can positively say to you without a shadow of a doubt that Objectivism is NOT a real philosophy, it's kind of a bizarre rationalized non-religious language form of Satanism, and its very nature is so polarizing (either you're a John Galt or you're a plebe and a parasite) that I can't fathom anyone being neutral to it (either embracing it or seeing it for the blight that it is), unless they they've deemed it so harmless they just laugh at it.

Besides, I already pointed out that oligopolies have nothing to do with real libertarian capitalism, and that .. @EffEmDoubleyou already told you, mang.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Yes, although admittedly the fact that it's a perfect crystallization of their theories makes the line a bit fuzzy.

I just don't think it's a valid test of Randian theory, because it's not a self-sufficient system. It requires support and infrastructure from an outside nation whose citizens are not playing by the same rules. As Marm said, the way it's laid out in that article just makes it sound like a gated community, not a nation.

Then again, perhaps a walled-up nation that leeches off of a neighboring nation actually is the perfect realization of Randian theory. After all, if the commuting gardeners and butlers were smart enough and talented enough, they'd have the $300 large.
    There can never be a realization of Rand's principles. It is not even possible in the first place. Ayn Rand's ufortunately named "objectivism" is to sociology what creationism is to biology.

It's too bad. They say that the only way to prove a fool wrong is to let him have his way. What do you do for a fool who's way can never be had?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

So basically, it's a bunch of rich people living in this Belle Isle, outsourcing all their work to the rest of Detroit, and patting themselves on the back for creating the perfect society. Cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    The problem with our neighbour, New Zealand, is that they have one central government. They are not a federation of states like Oz.

So if the NZ government decides to go in one extreme direction, there is nothing to stop them.

Perhaps there is one gleam of light. New Zealand is part of the Constitution of Oz. So if NZ decides to become a federated state of Oz, they can do so tomorrow.

But instead of being sensible, they continue to beat us at rugby.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    There can never be a realization of Rand's principles. It is not even possible in the first place. Ayn Rand's ufortunately named "objectivism" is to sociology what creationism is to biology.

It's too bad. They say that the only way to prove a fool wrong is to let him have his way. What do you do for a fool who's way can never be had?
    The problem too, with Rand, is that her philosophy isn't based in a concrete concept, but rather is a reaction to something else, and like all reactions, is partially an imaginary projection.

Ayn Rand was born unnaturally selfish or something. I've heard tales of her teddy bear, that she was distressed that her mother had given to poor children.

And it's not like Ayn had a deprived childhood, she was the daughter of Russian upper-middle class aristocrats basically, so if she had a life-long vendetta against poor children because of one teddy bear, I think she had some kind of psychiatric issues that pre-dated the Bolshevik revolution.

Ayn Rand's Objectivism is part Capitalist fairy-tale, part man-worshiping self-hatred, and almost utterly motivated by her experiences of being stripped of her UNEARNED privilege by the Soviets.

How is this possible? Won't the IRS come down with the fury of 1000 burning suns if taxes aren't paid?