User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    But I think they should go to somewhere even more undesirable or barren than Detroit. Like Area 51. Or the Bermuda Triangle.

Randroids Finally Take My Advice About Getting Their Own Island

At the expense of other people losing their public park, bien sur.
    Damn it damn it DAMN IT THEY'RE DOING WRONG!!!

I don't want the randroids to get an island or anything above sea level, I want an underwater city, with Plasmids, and Big Daddy's! Sonofafuck, is it too much to ask that a man be allowed to fire lighting bolts from his hands?

DAMN IT!

ETA: ^--- above post beat me to it
    "The man who is swimming against the stream knows the strength of it."
    ― Woodrow Wilson

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well given that their scriptures feature a story of the rich people all withdrawing to a private island in an attempt to black mail the world with what I'm sure Rand imagined was a rich mans version of industrial action it doesnt surprise me they're up for it.

Then again its not like rich people have been doing this since the beginning of time, I'm pretty sure that the most recent string of world economy threatening scandals unleashed by the banksters were in many ways political actions by the uber richies. Most of the world being spell bound by the various capitalist ideologies werent up for considering it as such or mandating any actions against them though.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie did their own version of this didnt they? I'm pretty sure that Nick Cage did too. Its surely obscene wealth to be able to buy islands?
    I'm not entirely sure how it will work; I mean does this mean that they will have people working on the island who aren't allowed to live there, i.e. people in low wage servant jobs, and I presume they will want no minimum wage?

Yes, let's just see how this works out for them. If it's residence-only, with no businesses, that's cheating. That means it's merely an elaborate gated neighborhood for the wealthy.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by tinker683 View Post
    Damn it damn it DAMN IT THEY'RE DOING WRONG!!!

I don't want the randroids to get an island or anything above sea level, I want an underwater city, with Plasmids, and Big Daddy's! Sonofafuck, is it too much to ask that a man be allowed to fire lighting bolts from his hands?

DAMN IT!

ETA: ^--- above post beat me to it
    Well it's actually not a true libertarian city though; if it were there would be no minimum for how much you'd have to invest to live there, it really would be based upon capitalist competition and not begin straight-out as a huge oligopoly; unless all they are proposing is a residential island with no business, in which case it's a crock of shit, not a real Randian city, but just Preston Corners on steroids.

I like the point the guy who wrote the blog brings up about Singapore being so fiscally conservative but also having extreme social conservatism.

There is no example of this that has ever worked on the face of the earth; the closest would be the New Zealand experiment, which failed, and the state of Nevada (gambling and prostitution are legal, no state tax) and they have some of the worst schools in the nation, are overrun by a homeless problem, suffer from a plethora of drug and alcoholic residents, have one of the highest suicide rates in the world in Vegas, Vegas has more pedestrian deaths per capita than New York city, have no real art museums, and they were hit especially hard by the recession. Not exactly my idea of wild community success.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by skylights View Post
    Yay, let them leave. Win for everyone.
    This is my idea. My idea is that they build a REAL Randroid or ultra anarcho-capitalist island away from other people who have not yet utterly lost their facilities of reason, and fail away, as in...

I'm failing away, set an open course for the virgin seas!

'Cause I've got to be free,
    Free to face the life that's ahead of me,
    On board, I'm the captain, so climb aboard,
    We'll search for tomorrow on every shore,
    And I'll try, Oh Lord I'll try, to carry on

Come fail away, come fail away, come fail away with me!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Well given that their scriptures feature a story of the rich people all withdrawing to a private island in an attempt to black mail the world with what I'm sure Rand imagined was a rich mans version of industrial action it doesnt surprise me they're up for it.

Then again its not like rich people have been doing this since the beginning of time, I'm pretty sure that the most recent string of world economy threatening scandals unleashed by the banksters were in many ways political actions by the uber richies. Most of the world being spell bound by the various capitalist ideologies werent up for considering it as such or mandating any actions against them though.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie did their own version of this didnt they? I'm pretty sure that Nick Cage did too. Its surely obscene wealth to be able to buy islands?
    Lark I don't think you understand. They'd be like their own country unto themselves, is the idea. If it's just a residential place (like other rich people have done) that isn't creating a commonwealth with its own currency and taxation laws and so forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    There is no example of this that has ever worked on the face of the earth; the closest would be the New Zealand experiment, which failed.
    And yes in September, 1893, Oz formed a utopian settlement in Paraquay in South America.

And today these expatriates are still living in the settlement in Paraquay.

It didn't turn out as they expected mainly because of division over strict rules. But the settlement persisted and we have these funny Aussies in Paraguay today.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    Too bad they didn't pick Chernobyl
    No, they picked Belle Isle. It might as well have been Chernobyl.

They can have their little blight of an island. Hopefully the entire thing will sink into the water...used needles and all. Taking the Randroids down will be a gift to humanity and a proof that there is universal justice.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

So much hate from you people. Sheesh.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    So much hate from you people. Sheesh.
    Can you honestly say that this isn't the stupidest idea you've ever heard of? That it's not the kind of idea that would be born of an ignorant megalomaniac with delusions of grandeur?

Anybody who would volunteer to be a part of that island as he envisions it deserves to be ridiculed.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Can you honestly say that this isn't the stupidest idea you've ever heard of? That it's not the kind of idea that would be born of an ignorant megalomaniac with delusions of grandeur?

Anybody who would volunteer to be a part of that island as he envisions it deserves to be ridiculed.
    Can you honestly say that the posts in this thread are ridiculing the idea of the city, and not libertarians/anarcho-capitalists/"randroids" etc.

I admit I believe the idea is flawed, I did so in my original post in this thread, but the tone of the posts here are slightly irritating. So much polarization.