User Tag List

Smile Canberra at 100 years

Happy birthday Canberra on your 100th birthday. Everyone and their dog is out and about with all kinds of events.

Canberra is a designed city, resting between the arms of the Brindabella Range and the Great Dividing Range.

We get blamed for every political decision made in our National Capital. And the Duke of Edinburgh described us as souless. And we are told we are a good sheep paddock wasted.

We don't build on our hills and ridges so the Bush comes right into the city. And the deep Bush is only twenty minutes away by car. No wonder we are called the Bush Capital. So Canberra is a happy combination of the city and the Bush.

We are rather bolshie and are the only part of Oz who voted for a Republic in 1999.

Canberrans themselves are a bit shy but nice and worth while speaking with.

The weather touches us here in a warm dry summer, a brilliant autumn, clutches us in a cold sunny winter, then lets us go into a golden spring.

There is a veil of magic over Canberra. What it is, I don't know, but I keep wondering.

So look back 100 years to the naming of the Capital at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Px7vFz9HIK0

Banned
    MBTI
    what
    Enneagram
    wha
    Socionics
    i do

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Canberra is a designed city
    it is? like washingtong? do it got a owl standing on a pyramid?

Bugs Bunny

Quote Originally Posted by salad View Post
    it is? like washingtong? do it got a owl standing on a pyramid?
    Actually, dear Salad, we have the American Eagle atop a high column in the corner of our Parliamentary Triangle.

And it was the people of Oz, the Mums and Dads, who put their pennies and shillings together to raise the column to thank the Americans for saving Oz in the Battle of the Coral Sea in May, 1942.

But as is our wont, we call the American Eagle on top of the column, Bugs Bunny. And every day as I cross Lake Burley Griffin, I look up, and see Bugs looking out at us.