“What is the role of humanity in the future of the Universe?”
    “What is our place in the cosmic scheme of things?”

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

"In how many sentences or words (cough) would it take to sum up my existence?"

Also, best way to safety prepare pizza in your parents' bed.

um, ok, don't take that seriously, RaptorWizrd. I'm high.

thinking of you

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

6.5 inches into the rectum of a young hoodlum, 15 and 7 months, avid misfits/ramones supporter, snorts chalk during Mr. Cowan's 4th period break, no kids, deadbeat dead stepdad, pet salami farm.

thinking of you

I could tell you, but then that would change the future and I'd have to kill you.

Infinite Bubble

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    “What is the nature of the world?”
    Too vague.

“What is its origin?”
    The Big Bang.

"What is its ultimate fate?"
    The slowing down of the expansion of space and eventually a universal freeze. (Most likely.)

“What is the role of humanity in the future of the Universe?”
    We will continue developing technology until we become extinct.

“What is our place in the cosmic scheme of things?”
    There is no place; we exist simply because the laws of nature allow it.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I dont know about those questions but I like reading books from the seventies and even earlier when this was a question which people took more seriously, seemed to discuss a lot more and pegged political futures on.

At the moment the future of the human race just seems to be a race between competiting national political elites to drive their societies into a state of affairs like something from slum dog millionaire or city of God in order to please ever shrinking groups of uber richies.

Some of the best sources I've read seemed to be writing as part of an academic and public discussion about how mass society could change tracks from a concentration on having much to being much, so your ability as a driver for instance would matter more than the car you drove or how many of them you had in the garage that time you were on cribs.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I received many of the following ideas from @AffirmitiveAnxiety and @jontherobot in this cosmology article:

I can’t tell if a machine of sufficient AI is alive, or what is alive. Maybe some intelligence is more indestructible. The universe is a blanket of quantum consciousness. Matter collapses wave functions when required to interact. It resumes wave form when the potential for interaction is required. This interaction makes things more absolute. Perhaps nothing happens if there is nothing there to experience it, but maybe exists as different potential ways it could have happened. Existence then may have always been here. Mind also could have been present before creation, since something may have had to see it unfold to spring into form. But then where does mind come from? It might also be easier to conceptualize an eternal universe. Intelligence is special. It may make things beyond rational origins such as existence possible. Mind may have had to prelude creation. The non-absolute nature of time might contain a key to the secret of existence somewhere. Since time measures change, it can only have relevance if it is experienced by a mind. Cases where effects precede causes may apply. The universe should be quantifiable. Gaps however may remain in string theory. Do the strings intertwine perfectly, or are there voids? In a blanket, there are tiny holes between the threads, and in our universe, its fabric may have the same quality. The voids could give room for creation. Our world is much like a video game, with God speaking the logos, the codes or words for the program, an intellectual overlay draping everything. It may just be part of existence though, with no divinity required. Divinity can be difficult to conceptualize. The universe itself though could be divine, since we are all within it. Everything exists as potential, and whatever intents behind our universe there may be, perhaps they are currently beyond human understanding, being totally alien to ourselves. It is probably more of a process than a being, something beyond recognition. The more we stretch our perspectives the less we realize we know. There’s always another horizon over the mountain. If the concept of infinite exists, an eternal universe, forward and backward, why not up and down? Existence and nonexistence are concealing and revealing, yet ever present. Birth reveals the nonexistent, and death conceals the existent, much like reincarnation.

WALMART

I am excited to ping-pong ideas with you as you read The Universe in a Nutshell. I'll have to open my copy and refresh my understanding as well :P

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

There is no such thing as the "Human Race".
    Humans are divided into three or more races, depending on who you ask.
    The main ones would be european, african and asian.
    We are a species.

Personally, I would say: European, African, Asian, Australoid and Mixed.
    These of course have subraces, which can be further categorized.

Furthermore, it remains to be seen if we are going to have a future together or apart.
    I am, as you might know, an advocate for separation.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Society

in the short term, i think the two biggest sub question would be:
    - how we handle the planet's ecology & deal with the consequences.
    - what form will the intelligence explosion take (if any).

without those wildcards, the question of the future beyond is, by nature, quite obscure.