123 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default Obama Administration Support for Same-Sex Marriage

WASHINGTON (AP) — Citing the principle of equality that drove the nation's founding, President Barack Obama spoke out Friday against California's ban on gay marriage and said the Supreme Court should strike it down.
    A day after his administration filed a friend-of-the-court brief unequivocally calling on the justices to strike down California's Proposition 8 ballot measure, Obama said he felt there was no way for his administration to avoid the case.
    "I felt it was important for us to articulate what I believe and what this administration stands for," the president said.
    The nation has gone through the same evolution he has gone through about how gay couples should be treated under the law, said Obama, who once opposed gay marriage but changed his position last year during his re-election campaign.
    I found this (as well as yesterday's filing about the DOMA case) interesting and rather predictable, honestly.

Same-sex marriage came up in the campaign and he still managed to win the election.
    The current pro-same-sex marriage polling is somewhere around 51-53% in favor of it, and increasing.
    A few more states endorsed same-sex marriage in the November election.
    The Supreme Court has specifically taken on two same-sex-marriage-related cases for this month.
    Many many leading companies in the USA have filed briefs with SCOTUS supporting same-sex marriage.
    Some leading Republicans have done the same.
    His administration already refused to defend DOMA and added explicit anti-discriminaton rules to gov hiring practices.
    He's already voiced public support in a way that no other president has done to this point.
    The conservative religious Republican demogogues continue to take a beating in the polls.

It's not like he is flying in the face of conventional wisdom and taking a huge risk.
    The wave is actually rolling forward.
    He's just grabbing his board and surfing the crest of it.
    If you were a betting man, it seems like a win-win to ride that wave (and not a huge risk).
    Now is probably the perfect time for him to jump out there and push things along.
    So it's not surprising.

Only an extreme risk-adversive man would have failed to catch the wave.

Thoughts?

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-urges-co...-politics.html
    http://news.yahoo.com/poll-shows-61-...154239790.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/02/bu...-marriage.html
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    IEI

Sure Obama’s riding the wave (not that he privately opposes gay marriage). The poll-shift on gay marriage and related issues is one reason why he's president. Republicans used to love this issue, but not so much anymore.

I'd like to think he's doing it because he believes it's the right/humane thing to do and not because he thought it was a good political move. Considering siding with minorities is politically risky (because they are a minority), I'm guessing that is the case.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    I'd like to think he's doing it because he believes it's the right/humane thing to do and not because he thought it was a good political move. Considering siding with minorities is politically risky (because they are a minority), I'm guessing that is the case.
    Yes. Politicians often do the opposite to get/stay in office, namely downplay the views they honestly hold to avoid alienating substantial segments of the electorate. When personal values and the tide of public sentiment fortuitously coincide, a politician can finally give free rein to what they think is right.

It is amazing that gay marriage has had such strong opposition from republicans for so long. They claim to be the party of less government interference. Former senator Olympia Snowe was one of the first republicans I heard to publically make this point.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Republicans should take this opportunity to out their in the closet members. Eric Cantor, especially.

Or maybe Michelle Bachmann's "gay conversion therapist" husband.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    It is amazing that gay marriage has had such strong opposition from republicans for so long. They claim to be the party of less government interference. Former senator Olympia Snowe was one of the first republicans I heard to publically make this point.
    They do want less government interference, except of course, for the things that they find personally offensive, at which point they want the government to interfere on their behalf. This isn't necessarily a Republican issue, it's a shithead issue - and unfortunately the world is full of them.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

^
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

It's a stupid point. Republicans have always supported state rights. What they don't support is the intereference of nine men and women with the will of the people.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    It's a stupid point. Republicans have always supported state rights. What they don't support is the intereference of nine men and women with the will of the people.
    So republicans support interference of government in people's lives, as long as it's state government instead of federal? I'm sure that distinction is lost on your average Joe or Jane just trying to be left alone.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

So republicans support interference of government in people's lives, as long as it's state government instead of federal? I'm sure that distinction is lost on your average Joe or Jane just trying to be left alone.
    People who want the government to sanction their activity are not people who want to be left alone.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it