First 345

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    It's a stupid point. Republicans have always supported state rights. What they don't support is the intereference of nine men and women with the will of the people.

Let's go back to segregated schools. Can't interfere with the will of the people
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

It's a stupid point. Republicans have always supported state rights. What they don't support is the intereference of nine men and women with the will of the people.

Let's go back to segregated schools. Can't interfere with the will of the people
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

But, that just makes you (and me) pedantic.
    Well, I am pedantic, and I can see you trying to be, too.

Yeah, you don't understand me either.
    I see intrinsic value in everything so I either want to recognize the value in something as good or recognize the distorted value in something as bad.
    We were talking about the use of words. The question was: Is 'a good blowjob' a misuse of the word 'good' or not - based, of course, on your understanding of language, not on your feelings? If the answer is 'no', then you have to accept my point.

[...] so yes Parent's should be free to choose their own religion.
    Then, by god, you must end your crusade now; for demanding that only marriages in line with your belief are to be legal is nothing but an attempt to take away that very freedom from others.

But, none of that changes the fact tha the whole reason why we sanction marriage to begin with is the societal recognition that one mother and one father is ideal.
    Ideal for what? In and of itself? I doubt that. Ideal for stability? In that case, gay marriage will likely prove to be not much different. You should give it a chance to fail as badly as straight marriage currently is.

I'm merely talking about preserving and building upon the things we know already are good, true, and beautiful already
    Straight marriage is not going anywhere. It will be preseved for as long as you can muster the illusion that it is ideal. What I see in this complaint that is being raised all over the place is that straight people who look down on homosexual people are afraid to lose what they might feel is the outer recognition of their superiority, like a good old American being really pissed of that the wetback down the street now too owns a Chevrolet.

[...] if a husband and a wife are committed to each other the good and beauty that comes out of that is amazing. I've seen it with my own eyes.
    Promise me not to close your eyes to the amazing good and beauty coming out of the committed gay marriages you will be exposed to in the future.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Your passive aggressiveness is not appreciated.
    What, you derail my thread, and then say you don't appreciate MY approach? This gets better and better.

Obviously you weren't paying attention to the discussion or your bias doesn't allow you to see what plainly goes on in threads like this.
    Obviously.

You're also not much of one to be slinging around words like "bias."

I had no interest in a rehash. I made a small post making a political distinction and got dragged into a larger discussion with questions and arguments from a number of people.
    They dragged you, kicking and screaming, I am sure.

However, I'm more than happy to make this my last post.
    I honestly doubt that. See you next go 'round.
    (Well, actually, not. But I'm sure there will be one.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Society

this is a really simple : i want people i care about to be happy.

seriously, how difficult is this to understand:

in the stupid present tense, this is influenced by my environment: i didn't live my life sheltered with people identical to myself, which lead me to grow up with friends & family who are LGB and who i have an invested interest in their personal capacity for happiness.

but the environmental dependency breaks when you introduce the long term: has any of the people apposing this stopped to consider that it can be at some point their children's happiness in question, or their children's children? that your son or sister or cousin or best friend can come to you one day and tell you they are gay? at which point, do you honestly think your invested interest in their well being would become... any less? when a friend is moving apts, you help them move boxes and set up furniture so that they'll have an easier and better time doing it - you care about them so you want them to have an easier and better time, this is a very basic compulsion that starts whenever you actually care about someone, it's part of what caring is.

and yes, as far as you know, any of the people you care about now or in the future, can turn out to be gay. at which point, you want them to be able to celebrate their bond just like you could, and if they met someone from another country you'd want them to be able to fulfill their mutual dream just like you could, you'd want them to experience the unconditional love they would have to their children just like you could, and you'd even want them to have the protection of divorce law if needs be just like you would. even if you are against marriage and want to rebel against the institution and social expectation, you'd want them to have the option of rebelling against it.

as long as you have he slightest chance that the realm of people who make you give a damn can cross path with a group, you have a common interest with that group. it's that fucking simple.

I'm not the one with rose colored glasses trying to social engineer the perfect society without regard for the consequences... that's the LGBT movement. When I talk about pursuing the good, true and beautiful I'm not talking about some ridiculous 50s pipe dream I'm merely talking about preserving and building upon the things we know already are good, true, and beautiful already.
    You claim you're not the one with rose-colored glasses, but continue to demonstrate otherwise. And by using the word "we" in your post as if you, the almighty, the chosen one, the golden boy, has a right to claim his own personal belief—things we know already are good, true, and beautiful —is shared by all, now makes me wonder if delusion couldn't be added to the mix.

if a husband and a wife are committed to each other the good and beauty that comes out of that is amazing. I've seen it with my own eyes.
    If two women are committed to each other, the good and beauty that comes out of that is amazing. I've seen it with my own eyes.
    If two men are committed to each other, the good and beauty that comes out of that is amazing. I've seen it with my own eyes.

Next.

Again, if people seriously want to know the arguments for marriage and against any revision of what marriage constitutes I would encourage them to read this article by Princeton Professor Robert P. George in the Harvard Law and Public Policy Journal.
    http://www.harvard-jlpp.com/wp-conte...eorgeFinal.pdf
    I couldn't care less what George the Harvard boy thinks. Why post it? We're not talking about a drug efficacy study, we're talking about what you personally believe is "already good, true, and beautiful" and, amazingly enough, thinking it's universal.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    I couldn't care less what George the Harvard boy thinks. Why post it? We're not talking about a drug efficacy study, we're talking about what you personally believe is "already good, true, and beautiful" and, amazingly enough, thinking it's universal.
    This article is nothing but revanchist drivel. It ignores the distinction between the actual commitments people make with each other, and the legal recognition and support of those commitments. If allowing gays to marry will weaken the actual relationship within hetero marriages, the problem is with those opposite sex couples, not with the law. If their commitment to each other requires the law to sustain it, it is on shaky ground to begin with. Gays understand this distinction as they have been well able to form lifelong commitments as couples; they just want the law to recognize what already exists.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

It makes me feel sad for all the children in this social experiment who will be lied to and told that having two parents is sufficient and yet they will suffer from not having a father or mother.
    Do you have children?
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.