User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 49

  1. #11
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Republicans should take this opportunity to out their in the closet members. Eric Cantor, especially.

    Or maybe Michelle Bachmann's "gay conversion therapist" husband.
    Or Bachmann's buddy Glenn Gruenhagen...or Lindsey Graham...or Tammy Bruce.

    Maybe even the Coultergeist herself (how else do you explain a woman who "dated" Bill Maher?)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  2. #12
    Senior Member KDude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    8,263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Or Bachmann's buddy Glenn Gruenhagen...or Lindsey Graham...or Tammy Bruce.

    Maybe even the Coultergeist herself (how else do you explain a woman who "dated" Bill Maher?)
    Lindsey Graham reminds me of "Pat" from SNL.

    Which would be OK I guess if he didn't act like some tough fundie gun toting southerner.

  3. #13
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    People who want the government to sanction their activity are not people who want to be left alone.
    How does it make you feel that your side is losing the battle?

  4. #14
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    How does it make you feel that your side is losing the battle?
    It makes me feel sad for all the children in this social experiment who will be lied to and told that having two parents is sufficient and yet they will suffer from not having a father or mother.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  5. #15
    ^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp
    Posts
    13,909

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Or Bachmann's buddy Glenn Gruenhagen...or Lindsey Graham...or Tammy Bruce.

    Maybe even the Coultergeist herself (how else do you explain a woman who "dated" Bill Maher?)
    Hmm. But following from that logic, are you also saying Bill Maher is gay?

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    It makes me feel sad for all the children in this social experiment who will be lied to and told that having two parents is sufficient and yet they will suffer from not having a father or mother.
    Cheer up. Your fears are unfounded.
    Go to sleep, iguana.


    _________________________________
    INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

  6. #16
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    It makes me feel sad for all the children in this social experiment who will be lied to and told that having two parents is sufficient and yet they will suffer from not having a father or mother.
    Studies show that they can live perfectly happy lives. On the basis of such studies, the German constitutional court made a landmark decision regarding child adoption in same-sex families just last week. Granted, having two fathers or mothers is different than having one of each, but not necessarily worse, especially considering that couples that have to go to so much trouble to get a child are more likely to actually want and care for one - compared to the millions of heterosexual couples who are stuck with them because they forgot the condom.

  7. #17
    WALMART
    Guest

    Default

    Three cheers for progress.

  8. #18
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Cheer up. Your fears are unfounded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Studies show that they can live perfectly happy lives.
    That defies common sense and a number of those studies have been proven to be rigged with small sample sizes and selection bias.


    The left leaning research institute, Child Trends says the following:
    "[R]esearch clearly demonstrates that family structure matters for children, and the family structure that helps children the most is a family headed by two biological parents in a low‐conflict marriage. Children in single‐parent families, children born to unmarried mothers, and children in step‐ families or cohabiting relationships face higher risks of poor outcomes. . . . There is thus value for children in promoting strong, stable marriages between biological parents. . . .“[I]t is not simply the presence of two parents, . . . but the pres‐ ence of two biological parents that seems to support children’s development."

    That quote is taken from this Harvard Law and Public Policy journal article on why marriage matters.
    http://www.harvard-jlpp.com/wp-conte...eorgeFinal.pdf

    You really think what this guy craves and the void he has is not from a missing male father, but just a missing parent that could have been fulfilled by a second mother? You think a woman could have taught him to shave, to dribble, how to talk to women and it would have been the same?



    On the basis of such studies, the German constitutional court made a landmark decision regarding child adoption in same-sex families just last week. Granted, having two fathers or mothers is different than having one of each, but not necessarily worse, especially considering that couples that have to go to so much trouble to get a child are more likely to actually want and care for one - compared to the millions of heterosexual couples who are stuck with them because they forgot the condom.
    Going through a lot of trouble to have a child ijust provides more fodder to guilt-trip a child.
    Last edited by Beorn; 03-02-2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: Typos
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

  9. #19
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,130

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    That defies common sense and a number of those studies have been proven to be rigged with small sample sizes and selection bias.
    Unless you can show that having two parents of the same sex tends to be bad for children, your case is lost. And since your common sense allows you to believe in invisible gods, I think we can disregard that false claim, too.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    The left leaning research institute, Child Trends says the following:
    "[R]esearch clearly demonstrates that family structure matters for children, and the family structure that helps children the most is a family headed by two biological parents in a low‐conflict marriage. Children in single‐parent families, children born to unmarried mothers, and children in step‐ families or cohabiting relationships face higher risks of poor outcomes. . . . There is thus value for children in promoting strong, stable marriages between biological parents. . . .“[I]t is not simply the presence of two parents, . . . but the pres‐ ence of two biological parents that seems to support children’s development."
    None of that seems to say that two parents of the same sex are bad for children. Phew!

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    You really think what this guy craves and the void he has is not from a missing male father, but just a missing parent that could have been fulfilled by a second mother? You think a woman could have taught him to shave, to dribble, how to talk to women and it would have been the same?
    Losing a father and not having one to begin with are obviously different things. What a ridiculous argument. Nevertheless, I do think a woman could have taught him how to shave, to dribble, and to talk to women - particularly a lesbian woman.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Going through a lot of trouble to have a child ijust provides more fodder to guilt-trip a child.
    Another ridiculous argument. If you want to go down that path, you also have to say that not going through a lot of trouble to have a child just provides more reason to neglect it. And that is probably more often true than your conjecture.

    I must ask, though: Is concern for the wellbeing of children really the reason you oppose the legalization of same-sex marriage? Because if it really is, then, as Magic Poriferan said, you can cheer up, as you fight an unnecessary fight.

  10. #20
    LL P. Stewie Beorn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    4,805

    Default

    Nico, you forget yourself. The minute you claim that what is "good" or "bad" matters you contradict your own materialist atheistic beliefs. You have preferences and that is all you have according to your own beliefs. Stop pretending that what is "good" or "bad" matters outside the context of your own preferences.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Similar Threads

  1. Same-sex Marriage, do you support it?
    By Julius_Van_Der_Beak in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 608
    Last Post: 08-27-2015, 02:49 PM
  2. Support for Same-Sex Marriage Climbs to New High
    By Totenkindly in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 299
    Last Post: 06-26-2011, 10:43 PM
  3. Question for those who oppose same-sex marriage on religious grounds:
    By Brendan in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 111
    Last Post: 05-05-2010, 09:32 PM
  4. Do you think same-sex marriage should be legal?
    By ez78705 in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 257
    Last Post: 05-22-2009, 05:02 PM
  5. Christianity Today Poll (same-sex marriages)
    By Totenkindly in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 09-14-2007, 08:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO