User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Default Concerned for someone's mental health?

A guy I met on a maymester is sort of scaring me. On the trip he was reserved and a little "off" he wouldn't say anything and then would make unconnected jokes about eugenics and Puting birth control in water. He had a nice friend who true to get him to losses up but he never really connected with anyone (this coming from me, a super asocial INTP). Now on Facebook he's reccently be posting repetitive rants about religious people and guns. Overpopulation and the general idiocy of the human race. It not just because I disagree a lot of his positions just don't make sense. I said something to him about it and he was very defensive and said they his options were all based on scientific observation and went on with it. It's seems really attention seeking but no one responds but this girl I think is his sister. He also goes on rants about how maybe girls would like him if he prayed to go and shoot of guns and joins the army. I'm not the biggest military fan but it's such a flat stereotype from and educated person.

Today's posts are about how apparently other students have claimed he is unprofessional but he thinks they are unprofessional for ignoring him in the hall and upstaging him in projects. With the implication that they'll screen shot his post and use it against him. It just seems like he's a little disturbed, angry. and not quite all together. He'll make like ten posts in a row about the same stuff.

What can I do?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    He'll make like ten posts in a row about the same stuff.
    What can I do?
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Give him a copy of Dostoevsky's Notes from Underground. Maybe he'll see himself in it, and stop being retarded.

Or call the police. Either/or.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Actually the rants you're referring to sound perfectly sane to me; some people do believe strongly in overpopulation and it frightens them...hence the jokes about birth control, eugenics, and the rants about religious people and guns are probably fueled by watching too much television news, which scares people to death with all the shootings and I would say he's probably just very staunchly leftist and a little too terrified.

He doesn't sound "insane" to me; he probably has an anxiety/panic disorder, or something like that. He needs to stop watching so much television news and take a walk.

He's probably also an Fi type.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    QFT

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Yeah, I mean, why not just ignore him? Unfriend? Remove from feed? Give him the stink eye?

He sounds like one of those aggressive insecure folks. He might shoot up the school.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Yeah, I mean, why not just ignore him? Unfriend? Remove from feed? Give him the stink eye?

He sounds like one of those aggressive insecure folks. He might shoot up the school.

This is more what bothers me. If it was just annoying or personally offensive I would unfriend him and be done. But it's more concerning than offensive. If he really is unstable then I don't think just ignoring him is maybe the best solution. I guess if it seems normal to some people . But really it's always negative posting repeatedly for a few hours. Like nine rambling posts in two hours about the same topics. And now there directed at people with in the school for ratting him out.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Is he going to physically hurt himself or anyone else? To me, the biggest problem with psychosis is not the odd thinking, but stuff like losing jobs and inability to pay bills (because of having a different reality than everyone else.) If he were to go deep into this state and then be medicated he may come out and find that his real life is one big mess. (appears to be burning bridges etc.) hmm, I'm not sure how to offer much advice except if you reallllly feel an inclination to help him then perhaps just listen and try to figure him out a bit more so that you can find the right things to say to point him in a healthy direction. (That sounds really vague but I feel that I would need a lot more information before making a judgment about how to help him.)
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    This is more what bothers me. If it was just annoying or personally offensive I would unfriend him and be done. But it's more concerning than offensive. If he really is unstable then I don't think just ignoring him is maybe the best solution. I guess if it seems normal to some people . But really it's always negative posting repeatedly for a few hours. Like nine rambling posts in two hours about the same topics. And now there directed at people with in the school for ratting him out.
    Okay, so he doesn't just rant about this but goes on about it repeatedly? And he is angry at people at the school?

I'm just saying his basic rants ...or at least what I've gathered from your OP...is that he is NOT a schizophrenic. Does not sound non-sensical to me in the slightest; overpopulation is actually a widely respected theory, and much of what he's ranting about sounds like extremist leftism, and garden-variety 'Merkin paranoia.

SO ...to me at least, it doesn't sound like he's making anything up, it sounds like he's EXAGGERATING or being overly fearful or obsessive about things that many other people are concerned about, or at least propagate in the media.

He could be bipolar and in a fit of mania; if he's posting things repeatedly, over and over, and he's not intoxicated in some way, that does sound a little worse than an anxiety disorder, but to me it doesn't sound like "the CIA is after me, there are robots in my medication, there are cameras in the doorknobs" or anything.

And if he's so anti-gun, it's VERY doubtful he's going to "shoot up the school."

I'm actually concerned about how people are responding to this, like they want him to be more mentally ill than he probably actually is.

He does sound troubled though.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    I'm actually concerned about how people are responding to this, like they want him to be more mentally ill than he probably actually is.
    I just care whether he's making veiled threats at harming people. If not, whatever.

He probably should get off facebook though. Allow me to get on my soapbox a second, and say that in itself is a pitfall. And probably worse for the mentally ill or lonely. It's a big popularity contest - a real time update of your relevance (or lack thereof), your status, and your "friend level" in relation to everyone in the world. Logging in everyday is probably contributing to his thoughts on population control. He surrounds himself with all of this bullshit everyday. Probably not good for his health... in addition to whatever else he's experiencing at school.