Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I just care whether he's making veiled threats at harming people. If not, whatever.

He probably should get off facebook though. Allow me to get on my soapbox a second, and say that in itself is a pitfall. And probably worse for the mentally ill or lonely. It's a big popularity contest - a real time update of your relevance (or lack thereof), your status, and your "friend level" in relation to everyone in the world. Logging in everyday is probably contributing to his thoughts on population control. He surrounds himself with all of this bullshit everyday. Probably not good for his health... in addition to whatever else he's experiencing at school.

There's a possibility the OP is leaving something out, but to me it sounds like she just doesn't get him in a very fundamental way; I mean, there are A LOT OF PEOPLE who are all like "yeah stupid America with their guns, military and religion." I mean is this really so shocking that someone thinks with this kind of political polarity in the United States? I know a guy with a PhD in philosophy who makes comments like this, and he went to fucking Vanderbilt, and he is not psychotic, last time I checked.

This stuff is all over the news. Has the OP not turned on a television or perused a political web site lately?

Also, making off-hand comments that someone who is apparently ANTI-GUN would shoot up a school is actually pretty nasty, I don't like this sort of cavalier attitude toward anyone who is a little eccentric or paranoid, like anyone with even a mild psychiatric condition is the next school shooter.

Lots of people also use their facebook as a political platform. I do. My ESFJ sister does.

NOW...what I think is disturbing is that he seems lonely, if he's seeking attention and not getting it and feels rejected by his peers, and then is posting the same rant over and over again.

That to me seems more like he could commit suicide than hurt someone else.

I agree that he is overly agitated, he really needs to stop surrounding himself with so much negativity, and he certainly could benefit from counseling.

But unless there are some really important details I'm missing, I think it's kind of disingenuous and/or cruel and/or ignorant, to jump the gun and say "omg this guy makes no sense and is psychotic."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    There's a possibility the OP is leaving something out, but to me it sounds like she just doesn't get him in a very fundamental way; I mean, there are A LOT OF PEOPLE who are all like "yeah stupid America with their guns, military and religion." I mean is this really so shocking that someone thinks with this kind of political polarity in the United States? I know a guy with a PhD in philosophy who makes comments like this, and he went to fucking Vanderbilt, and he is not psychotic, last time I checked.

This stuff is all over the news. Has the OP not turned on a television or perused a political web site lately?

Also, making off-hand comments that someone who is apparently ANTI-GUN would shoot up a school is actually pretty nasty, I don't like this sort of cavalier attitude toward anyone who is a little eccentric or paranoid, like anyone with even a mild psychiatric condition is the next school shooter.

Lots of people also use their facebook as a political platform. I do. My ESFJ sister does.

NOW...what I think is disturbing is that he seems lonely, if he's seeking attention and not getting it and feels rejected by his peers, and then is posting the same rant over and over again.

I agree that he is overly agitated, he really needs to stop surrounding himself with so much negativity, and he certainly could benefit from counseling.

But unless there are some really important details I'm missing, I think it's kind of disingenuous and/or cruel and/or ignorant, to jump the gun and say "omg this guy makes no sense and is psychotic."
    Well as you haven't actually read or seen his posting I think you might be jumping the gun a little by calling me cruel or ignorant. when we sent messages about it he was sort of all over the place emotionally. It's hard to describe. It's the tone of the post more than the specific content. I actually agree with most of what he says about religious hypocrisy, guns an the environment. But it's the tone. It seems less about political reality and more about him just being very angry. I've argued with people on Facebook before with out thinking they might be mentally ill. Also im not the most social person and people have thought i was weird so i'm not attacking him dor being eccentirc. In this case it just seems like he's having some problems. I also did say schizophrenic or psychotic specifically. He repeatedly post and it's also All of his posts. Nothing else about friends or family, or any other interests. No positive post about the things he supports. I'm not suggesting anybody lock him up but I do think there might be something going on with him. What should we do if we think people might be having problem but we don't know them well. the concensus seems to be just ignore it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    What should we do if we think people might be having problem but we don't know them well. the concensus seems to be just ignore it.
    I think your concern is very valid, but I don't think you're in a position to change the scenario.

Delusional people don't respond well to reason, and INTPs tend to be pretty bad at manipulating people, so what exactly could you do?
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    XXFP

I don't think he's a real physical threat to anyone, but I can't know.

In this case I don't think you have any *duty or responsibility* to do something about the situation. (if you thought he was really dangerous I'd say you ought to report it)

But how can you encourage people to get help, meds, or counseling, or how can you counsel them? That's harder. I'm really not sure. Hardcore delusional people who think they know what's right and are easily threatened may simply think they know what's right (nothing you can do IMO) or they might be compensating for a perceived inadequacy.

If you can identify that inadequacy, then you might find they act less crazy if they learn to deal with it, or you foster a sense of their own ability in that area. It might be something entirely illogical, and unless you want to be their full time therapist, it's probably more effort than you'd want to put in. But maybe you can make them feel better about things and gently suggest therapy (after they open up a bit to you).
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Pseudo View Post
    Well as you haven't actually read or seen his posting I think you might be jumping the gun a little by calling me cruel or ignorant. when we sent messages about it he was sort of all over the place emotionally. It's hard to describe. It's the tone of the post more than the specific content. I actually agree with most of what he says about religious hypocrisy, guns an the environment. But it's the tone. It seems less about political reality and more about him just being very angry. I've argued with people on Facebook before with out thinking they might be mentally ill. Also im not the most social person and people have thought i was weird so i'm not attacking him dor being eccentirc. In this case it just seems like he's having some problems. I also did say schizophrenic or psychotic specifically. He repeatedly post and it's also All of his posts. Nothing else about friends or family, or any other interests. No positive post about the things he supports. I'm not suggesting anybody lock him up but I do think there might be something going on with him. What should we do if we think people might be having problem but we don't know them well. the concensus seems to be just ignore it.
    Ok great, thanks for sharing these details, and maybe you should ask him if something is bothering him? This may be hard for you with inferior Fe like jumping over a huge mud puddle and maybe falling in a little bit around the edges, it sounds like he needs someone to be concerned about him or show some caring toward him at the very least.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post

I don't think it's his politics themselves that are cause for concern. Those do sound commonplace enough, as you mentioned (even if juvenile and indicative of an adolescent level of political sophistication.) It's more his posture of aggressive victimization mixed with what I must assume is clear hostility (because otherwise why would the OP, who is not known to be an overly sensitive person, be concerned?)

Those are the types of people who tend to feel justified in taking violent action if it comes to it. Not that this guy is necessarily one of those people...I have no idea, really. Just that it IS a possibility, and if he is as alarming in his behavior as this thread would have me guess, then yeah, I'd be wary. Maybe stay out of his trajectory.

Also, I tend not to believe that anyone's political ideology is ever strong enough (except in a few die-hard cases...but it's very rare and it takes a certain type of person) to overcome their emotions. Most people are unprincipled like that, or they don't take any set of beliefs seriously enough to be unprincipled in the first place. I wouldn't dare count on someone being anti-gun to not kill someone if they felt the need.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    XXFP

I wonder if he could be compared to that guy who broke into the Discovery building outside DC?

http://abcnews.go.com/Site/page?id=10417970

http://abcnews.go.com/US/gunman-ente...ry?id=11535128

Compare his ramblings to your guy's.

edit: Here is the full manifesto: http://www.salon.com/2010/09/01/jame...covery_gunman/

...Civilization must be exposed for the filth it is. That, and all its disgusting religious-cultural roots and greed. Broadcast this message until the pollution in the planet is reversed and the human population goes down! This is your obligation. If you think it isn’t, then get hell off the planet! Breathe Oil! It is the moral obligation of everyone living otherwise what good are they??

Also, war must be halted. Not because it’s morally wrong, but because of the catastrophic environmental damage modern weapons cause to other creatures. FIND SOLUTIONS JUST LIKE THE BOOK SAYS! Humans are supposed to be inventive. INVENT, DAMN YOU!!

The world needs TV shows that DEVELOP solutions to the problems that humans are causing, not stupify the people into destroying the world. Not encouraging them to breed more environmentally harmful humans.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.