MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Default LEGOS -- not just for boys anymore

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture...ve-over-Barbie

LEGO, the maker of the famous children's building toys, has gone pink during the last 14 months, changing the sex of its figures from all male to female in some sets, gender-typed further with a “dream house” and was rewarded with a 25 percent boost in sales. All that is annoying to those fighting against gender typing, but what many don't realize is that the toys may help girls get past body image issues and focus on seeing themselves in typically male-dominated roles in science, technology, engineering, and math, known as the STEM fields...
    I think this rocks. Do you think it will actually have an impact on how girls view themselves in terms of career and interests?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Possibly. I had regular legos when I was little, I also had my own tool kit with a baby hammer and saw, my grandpa bought me a microscope when I was 8, and forced me to do math work books the summer I was 6 or 7, and taught me to mow the lawn before I was 10...and I still didn't became an architect or scientist.

I owe my intellectual interests to my grandfather, no question, but even with this kind of exposure I still developed more stereotypically feminine interests, but a more independent, fiesty personality.

I think it might help some girls, though, some who are really forced into gender roles unfairly by their families.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I think this rocks. Do you think it will actually have an impact on how girls view themselves in terms of career and interests?
    I was a weird kid. Probably because I had a mother who was NT and in a STEM profession herself. I grew up playing with K'nex sets, toy microscopes and video games. But I also had my fair share of Polly Pockets and Easy Bake Ovens. My interests were always nurtured--whatever they happened to be. For whatever reason, I never felt ghettoed to the pink aisle in the toy store, and that was a great way to grow up.

As far as this concept of pink Legos or the gender neutral Easy Bake Oven that came out a little while ago, I have mixed feelings. In and of itself it really means nothing. The implied cultural shift is exciting, but if these companies really wanted to make a difference they'd do it in a more active way than the token, marketing scheme-y approach they've taken. It's not enough to be able to say, "Well, at least we're not part of the problem."
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

I never saw Legos as for boys, I didnt see them as gendered at all.

MBTI
    INFP

I remember playing with Legos when I was a kid back in the '70's, and my kid sisters enjoyed them too. So gender?

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

I never thought about it when I was a kid, but that doesn't mean that others didn't and didn't feel ostracised by it. So I'm happy to note this positive change.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    548 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INTj

Never heard of Lego's being for boys only either. It might be "building" something, but it's not heavy duty, and therefore not stereotypically masculine.
    APS Profile: Inclusion: e/w=1/6 (Supine) |Control: e/w=7/3 (Choleric) |Affection: e/w=1/9 (Supine)
    Ti 54.3 | Ne 47.3 | Si 37.8 | Fe 17.7 | Te 22.5 | Ni 13.4 | Se 18.9 | Fi 27.9

Temperament (APS) from scratch -- MBTI Type from scratch
    Type Ideas

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

I did Matchbox cars and K'nex as well as Barbie and Polly Pocket. It was a point of pride.

As for this... good in some ways... in others wish toys would start going more neutral in general.

It's funny, I saw some 1970s lego ads someone had posted somewhere else.

Here's one:

Have you ever seen anything like it? Not just what she's made, but how proud it's made her. It's a look you'll see whenever children build something all by themselves.
    Much different marketing strategy now.

MBTI
    Ni
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture...ve-over-Barbie

Lego is a dutch company and although gender-typed Lego bricks are new in the states they have been around for decades in countries like Germany. My sister has a dream builders kit in the 1980's /90's (we lived in Germany for a while). I don't think it will have much of an impact .

I did a marketing research project on Lego bricks. with our university my group developed a survey that covered various topics regarding Lego's. We surveyed a sample of kids from 1st-5th grade. We included information to record disparities in buying behavior by gender. The research showed that girls these days are more tech savvy. They want devices that are compatible with various forms of media(computers to watch you tube and surf Facebook, smart phone to text their friends ect). Although they might own/want Lego bricks it's secondary to the amount of media they get exposed to at a young age. I think the way the media portrays woman has had and will continue to influence a girls self image. Even if gender-type Lego bricks laid a foundation or spurs an interest in the STEM fields,until media begins to glorify the idea of the female scientist over the pageant girl I don't think much will change. By the time they have stop saying "I want to be a power ranger when I grow up" and have started to form real aspirations, they have more than likely stopped playing with lego bricks( at all/as much) and have started asking for a smart phones or computers. (I posted from my phone so i'm not sure how well this reads I apologize in advance)
    "Re-examine all that you have been told... dismiss that which insults your soul."_Walt Whitman