User Tag List

123 Last

Harper High School, Gangs and Guns

I've been listening to an excellent documentary on Harper High School in Chicago.

If you live around Harper, you are automatically in a gang. And they tell us a gang wouldn't be a gang without guns.

It's obvious from a distance that if guns were taken out of the equation, there would be no gangs and no shootings.

If you would like to listen, click on - http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...chool-part-one
    and press [Launch Player].

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

It's obvious to thinking people in the U.S. too.

I mean, yes, a gun is just a tool, but when a tool is elevated to the symbolic, paranoid status it enjoys in the United States, there in lies the problem.

No, it's not as simple as getting rid of the guns, and I believe people should be allowed to always own hunting rifles for example, but getting rid of the guns is the immediate solution until we can change the cultural status of guns in the U.S.

Just like you give depressed people medication to stabilize them enough for therapy, or briefly imprison certain types of criminals before putting them in rehabilitation programs, you take the guns away from the people until they can be re-socialized.

And the people who resist it are all suffering from paranoid disorders. There's like some culturally inflicted trend toward narcissism and paranoia in the U.S. it's why I try not to watch too much television, especially certain sorts of programs, and I'm starting just recently also to be pickier about the Internet.

Garbage in, garbage out ,so they say.

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    And the people who resist it are all suffering from paranoid disorders. There's like some culturally inflicted trend toward narcissism and paranoia in the U.S. it's why I try not to watch too much television, especially certain sorts of programs, and I'm starting just recently also to be pickier about the Internet.

Garbage in, garbage out ,so they say.
    Yeah, I'm probably for less gun control than you, but totally agreed. A large segment of that movement is tinfoil hat crackpot territory. I can't even entertain a simple comment from some of them.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

No guns = no gangs? You people don't seriously believe that, do you?

Quote Originally Posted by Tyrinth View Post
    Without guns, gangs will resort back to just bugging the shit out of each other.

Seriously though..

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Without guns, gangs will resort back to just bugging the shit out of each other.

Seriously though..
    So gangs running around with knives aren't a problem in the UK as I had previously believed?

So gangs running around with knives aren't a problem in the UK as I had previously believed?
    I'm just kidding. I wanted an excuse to post that clip.

It doesn't matter what weapons are available, correct. Gangs will always be violent (I've been involved firsthand btw). Guns or not. While there's an argument that guns are creating more collateral damage/innocent victims than knives, I still don't think restrictions matter that much in the US. Guns will still be available. When I was 14, I could buy a gun on the street. I only know one person from a gang back then that had a legitimately purchased gun - he took guns from his dad (and strangely, his dad was a cop). For the most part, it's like buying drugs.

Gang violence could be solved more by fixing these communities and their poverty levels. And you still won't ever gain back many kids who've already fallen into gangs. You could only prevent younger ones from joining. By giving them alternatives, and better ambitions, and less boredom. I swear, boredom is an underrated danger. Boredom+Poverty, at least.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    649 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I'm just kidding. I wanted an excuse to post that clip.

It doesn't matter what weapons are available, correct. Gangs will always be violent (I've been involved firsthand btw). Guns or not. While there's an argument that guns are creating more collateral damage/innocent victims than knives, I still don't think restrictions matter that much in the US. Guns will still be available. When I was 14, I could buy a gun on the street. I only know one person from a gang back then that had a legitimately purchased gun - he took guns from his dad (and strangely, his dad was a cop). For the most part, it's like buying drugs.

Gang violence could be solved more by fixing these communities and their poverty levels. And you still won't ever gain back many kids who've already fallen into gangs. You could only prevent younger ones from joining. By giving them alternatives, and better ambitions, and less boredom. I swear, boredom is an underrated danger. Boredom+Poverty, at least.
    Wow, thank you. I honestly didn't expect a rational argument/post in this thread, much less one I can agree with. (It was an amusing clip, by the way. I just wasn't sure how to interpret it.)

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...ols-chelm.html
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I've been listening to an excellent documentary on Harper High School in Chicago.

If you live around Harper, you are automatically in a gang. And they tell us a gang wouldn't be a gang without guns.

It's obvious from a distance that if guns were taken out of the equation, there would be no gangs and no shootings.

If you would like to listen, click on - http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...chool-part-one
    and press [Launch Player].
    Yeah, they took the guns of the Shankill butchers, its why they cut people to pieces with butchers knives and axes.