User Tag List

Default And so it came to pass...

Which of the well known, or not so well known, dystopias are coming to pass and which are not and why?

I think the world is coming to resemble Huxley's Brave New World more than Orwell's 1984, I think because Huxley's social order is less cruel, less violent but has co-opted all classes and all people, lots of its inhabitants are miserable and suicide is the upshot of it rather than being victimised by the police state.

Orwell's society I think was more plausible in the actual eighties, it could be again I dont know, but at the moment it seems like the less likely of the two.

Of other dystopias, like Children of Men, Fugue for a dying nation, both of which I think are fears fo multiculturalism and immigration I'm not sure I'm seeing come to pass but I dont live in mainland britain were they were both based and dont know how things are developing there.

Oryx and Crake, Earth Abides, Into The Forest, Book of Eli, Fallout Series, all feature big events like wars, disease and stuff of that kind and I'm not sure any of those are coming to pass either.

It depends ultimately. My view of the future is that the Olduvai theory is more or less inevitable and the only variance would be its speed of its occurrence (with an ending in a neo-stone age.) So that essentially allows (off the top of my head) : Riddley Walker, Mad Max and perhaps the Fallout Series (the first perhaps being at the end of the process with the other two being temporary states.) Also World made by hand. These ones should come to pass at least partially if the above scenario plays out.

In the event of a nuclear war, supervolcano eruption or asteroid impact: The Road, Fallout Series again.
    Twelve Monkeys in the event of a global pandemic.
    Waterworld in the event of a global flood.
    Though not a dystopia, Star Wars as the eventual outcome in the event of Alien Invasion and enslavement of Earth.
    If all continues like usual, eventually Terra Nova, Battlestar Galactica, the City and the Stars or Earth in the Avatar universe.

MBTI
    INTP

Every year the world looks more and more like a utopia if you consider what the world was in the past

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Every year the world looks more and more like a utopia if you consider what the world was in the past
    If you got a lousy progressivist view point.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    Depends on your area of interest. On the other hand large areas of land are becoming desert, extensive resource depletion has taken place over the last century, deforestation has occurred on a wide scale, the ice caps are melting and the number of extinct animal species continues to rise. All of these could come back and bite human civilisation in the ass one day.

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    Depends on your area of interest. On the other hand large areas of land are becoming desert, extensive resource depletion has taken place over the last century, deforestation has occurred on a wide scale, the ice caps are melting and the number of extinct animal species continues to rise. All of these could come back and bite human civilisation in the ass one day.
    I agree with all this, humankind acts like a virus, I'm not a fan of the gaia theory but I do believe that if the earth is an eco-system there's every chance that a systemic correction will happen eventually which could be something like that in the gaia theory, ie that something will happen to return things to a point of stable stasis.

The progressivist perspective should be threatened by the existence of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons for instance surely, those sorts of weapons and the atrocities which they could result in are surely like nothing there has ever been in the pre-modern era.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I agree with all this, humankind acts like a virus, I'm not a fan of the gaia theory but I do believe that if the earth is an eco-system there's every chance that a systemic correction will happen eventually which could be something like that in the gaia theory, ie that something will happen to return things to a point of stable stasis.

The progressivist perspective should be threatened by the existence of nuclear, biological and chemical weapons for instance surely, those sorts of weapons and the atrocities which they could result in are surely like nothing there has ever been in the pre-modern era.
    I agree but I do not think that a "virus pattern" is exclusive to humans but one universally exists for all animals. "Stable stasis" in my view is no different than a game of tic-tac-toe where neither player has the ability to win the game. Animal life does not have the facility to innovate and is kept in check by numerous factors. If put in an environment where these factors are lessened or removed the animal population explodes much in the same way human populations do. I don't believe in a gaia theory myself but I do believe in "correction" where environmental factors which were previously kept at bay come back with a vengeance and cause a drop in carrying capacity.

But you're right about the increased risks from technology. Technology has an increased access to energy and knowledge has refined its levels of efficiency in resolving issues compared to previous eras. Unfortunately in the case of nuclear it's enough energy to level a large area and for biological and chemical weapons its the knowledge of how to cause maximum destruction to human biology and how the environment assists in maximising results.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Standuble View Post
    An organism can and will impact an environment. Diseases are being eradicated as we speak, food production is off the charts, we live longer, we live healthier, we have reached further out into the stars and beneath the seas, and I really don't see how we will fail to accommodate for the changes you mention. People have this misconception that more heat reaching the earth is bad, but it really just means we have more energy at our disposal should we choose to use it. I imagine that, in the future, we will.