User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: The federal income tax is 100 years old.

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    4. Most importantly there will be a tendency to focus on providing money over what the poor really need which is love and relationship. I know a guy who started a mission in a really horrible trailer park around Orlando. The real change in the park began after he asked 20 homeless guys to pray for him and reached out to them for support when his father died. He then put the guys to work doing service projects in their own neighborhood and he limited any outside helpers to no more than 25% of the work team. I think about 75% of those guys are steadily employed now and the crime in the neighborhood has dropped like a rock.
    Pics or it didn't happen.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    His name is Phil Hissom. He came and gave a talk at a fundraiser for my own local urban ministry and we had also hired his organization to do demographic research on our neighborhood. Which makes the story all the more interesting as the guy is primarily engaged in think tank work. Some of the stats I gave were off the top of my head from that presentation. They might be off as after checking I found it was 30 homeless guys not 20. However, it's pretty clear that this horrible trailer park with open sewage and trash everywhere was cleaned up and changed by treating the inhabitants with dignity and enabling them to fix their own community with limited help from outsiders. But, those interactions with outsiders were based on mutual respect and dignity.

You can read about that on page ten in this online ministry magazine:

Here's an article from a reporter who lived in this deplorable place for a week before it was cleaned up:

Here you can see some of the people who live and work at the palms:

There are four years of stories from the community at this blog:
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it