User Tag List

Sniffles

Default Warlords: The secret dipliomatioc duels of WWII

This should interest the history buffs here. Thankfully somebody managed to upload the entire series on Youtube. It concerns the secret diplomatic duels between the major leaders in WWII, challenging many of the long-held assumptions about how they related to each other.

Episode One: Hitler v Stalin, August 1939 - June 1941
    Hitler v Stalin - 1
    Hitler v Stalin - 2
    Hitler v Stalin - 3
    Hitler v Stalin - 4
    Hitler v Stalin - 5

Episode Two: Churchill v Roosevelt, May 1940 - April 1942 (these two actually hated each other)
    Churchill v Roosevelt - 1
    Churchill v Roosevelt - 2
    Churchill v Roosevelt - 3
    Churchill v Roosevelt - 4
    Churchill v Roosevelt - 5

Episode Three: Churchill v Stalin, June 1941 - June 1944
    Churchill v Stalin - 1
    Churchill v Stalin - 2
    Churchill v Stalin - 3
    Churchill v Stalin - 4
    Churchill v Stalin - 5

Episode Four: Roosevelt v Stalin, July 1944 - April 1945
    Roosevelt v Stalin - 1
    Roosevelt v Stalin - 2
    Roosevelt v Stalin - 3
    Roosevelt v Stalin - 4
    Roosevelt v Stalin - 5

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    This should interest the history buffs here. Thankfully somebody managed to upload the entire series on Youtube. It concerns the secret diplomatic duels between the major leaders in WWII, challenging many of the long-held assumptions about how they related to each other.

Episode One: Hitler v Stalin, August 1939 - June 1941
    Hitler v Stalin - 1
    Hitler v Stalin - 2
    Hitler v Stalin - 3
    Hitler v Stalin - 4
    Hitler v Stalin - 5

Episode Two: Churchill v Roosevelt, May 1940 - April 1942 (these two actually hated each other)
    Churchill v Roosevelt - 1
    Churchill v Roosevelt - 2
    Churchill v Roosevelt - 3
    Churchill v Roosevelt - 4
    Churchill v Roosevelt - 5

Episode Three: Churchill v Stalin, June 1941 - June 1944
    Churchill v Stalin - 1
    Churchill v Stalin - 2
    Churchill v Stalin - 3
    Churchill v Stalin - 4
    Churchill v Stalin - 5

Episode Four: Roosevelt v Stalin, July 1944 - April 1945
    Roosevelt v Stalin - 1
    Roosevelt v Stalin - 2
    Roosevelt v Stalin - 3
    Roosevelt v Stalin - 4
    Roosevelt v Stalin - 5
    Not very hard to dislike FDR, in my opinion. I'm glad that historians are finally starting to take a critical eye to his administration.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

I think that's a little unfair given the circumstances he had to deal with. Capitalism is GREAT if and ONLY if the fires are burning. Minus the ability of hindsight and 20/20 vision, would you have done differently?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    I think that's a little unfair given the circumstances he had to deal with. Capitalism is GREAT if and ONLY if the fires are burning. Minus the ability of hindsight and 20/20 vision, would you have done differently?
    Not have run for 4 terms, not have tried to pack the Supreme Court, not have tossed out parts of the Constitution I didn't like, not have created the majority of the alphabet soup agencies, not tried to rationalize American industry and create a modern managerial class. Not have maneuvered the United States into war pre-Pearl Harbor. You know, basically not have been a near-dictator.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Yeah Roosevelt was a hog, no doubt about it, but compare him to the other people in the OPs list and his faults kind of get put into perspective. Also, ww2 got us out of the depression and created an era of industry never before seen so I don't consider that a criticism.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Yeah Roosevelt was a hog, no doubt about it, but compare him to the other people in the OPs list and his faults kind of get put into perspective. Also, ww2 got us out of the depression and created an era of industry never before seen so I don't consider that a criticism.
    I just hate war. I am fascinated when I study it, but it's the worst thing a government can do. Also, outside of Churchill's colonialism, I like him a lot more than FDR. He was certainly the more interesting character, and he was very good on free trade at a time when most world leaders were not.

Sniffles

I didn't realise this at first, but this is very much history related to MBTI in many ways: since it deals with the contrasting personalities of the major leaders of the war, and how they played out in their relations and the outcome of the war.

Just take this example, where they compare Hitler and Stalin - from the book but also mentioned in the video:

"Stalin was trusting Hitler to act rationally; and to fight Britain and Russia at the same time was clearly irrational. However, he failed to realize that, despite their similarities, there was one profound difference between him and Hitler which made his perfect logic irrelevant. He himself was a methodical, calculating, hard-working man; a master of detail, personally signing death lists at one extreme, and at the other keeping the tiniest details of gold production in his notebook.

Hitler by contrast was at heart an idle dreamer.
    He once described why he loved the mountains of Obersalzburg. "When I go to Obersalzberg, I'm not drawn there merely by the beauty of the landscape. I feel myself far from petty things, and my imagination is stimulated. When I study a problem elsewhere, I see it less clearly; I'm submerged by the details. By night, at the Berghof, I often remain for hours with my eyes open, contemplating from my bed the mountains lit up by the Moon. It's at such moments that brightness enters my mind." For Hitler, the big idea was never to be disrupted by small facts. Now, having decided to attack Russia for tactical reasons, his mind began to stir in ways that would lead him back to the original and biggest idea of all - the ideological struggle against Jews and Bolsheviks."
    --pg. 50

Emphasis is mine - to hear Hitler in his own words. IMHO, Hitler comes off as being NF, while Stalin seems more NT.