User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Default Biggest differences between today and 50 years ago?

Never liked history, but got interested in knowing how we've got to where we are, and trying to predict where we're headed. The question is, what are the biggest differences between our society today and 50 years ago and why did those changes come about?

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

We have more technology and access to information. We also have shifted from a philosophical perspective to a scientific one. For reference, see how all the great philosophers came from the past!

Ideally, the science should come first. Still, I think it should be used as a foundation to support philosophical structures.

I just hope that in the future we can can find the proper balance between the 2.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

There are so many things that have changed, but I think one thing that has really changed the face of the US is the assembly line. Americans seem to be obsessed with mass-production and efficiency, and I think you see that spirit in almost everything we do, save for high-level art. The business world is a good example, with banks, corporations, and maybe government too. But it's really taken its toll in urban planning. Track homes and grids dominate the landscape and we've made almost no room for parks or community centers, especially around nature. That, to me, epitomizes the spirit of mass production, which is completely lacking in humanity. The absence of communal centers has drastically reduced opportunities for genuine social interaction, which drives people to loneliness, meaninglessness, and sometimes psychosis. At the same time, the growth of big corporations has forced people to work away from home, reducing the frequency of local human interaction even more. We're all strangers, even to our neighbors.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by RaptorWizard View Post
    We have more technology and access to information. We also have shifted from a philosophical perspective to a scientific one. For reference, see how all the great philosophers came from the past!
    Do you think the philosophical perspective was that prevalent to begin with? Not saying you're wrong, just wondering if you think that's the biggest change.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

The biggest change is the advance of science. Philosophy is just what I prefer, and I do think it began with it. We asked questions and then pursued them with science to back them up.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Well, I think probably things shifting to insta-everything. Insta-communication/real-time (email, cell phones, skype), insta-food (i.e. microwaves, ready-made meals, etc), and shifting expectations/needs around timeframes, and resulting products, relationships, service, etc. Also a much heavier reliance/'need' of technology, specifically computers, such that most are fully dependent on it (and companies are built around them/dependent on them for functioning).
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

50 years ago, the US economy was based on manufacturing whereas now, it's done overseas. Also, the family has changed. One wage earner to two and less traditional gender roles.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Entropy

Otherwise, scalability (faster, broader communication, less friction and barrier to entry in innovation, product dev and distribution, esp with digital integration and digital based products and distribution.uu
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

The biggest IMO is the situation regarding domestic oil. Back in the early 1960s the USA had access to immense amounts of cheap crude oil which could be used to power its economy and also had the opportunity to export it if they chose to for extra cash. In 1970 however oil production peaked and then went into decline in the following years so the USA had to rely more and more on offshore drilling (e.g. Gulf of Mexico,) imports from foreign suppliers (especially the Middle East) and from fracking (which is economically viable in the present day though very destructive.) All three of these carry increased costs and importing negated any possibility of export.

Combine this with the outsourcing of jobs to other countries to minimalise corporate costs and you have a very different economic structure.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Great answers so far.