User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default Driverless cars and automated cars

Would you use one if it were available? I'd be worried about big brother taking control of the vehicle via computer technology and driving me the hell off a cliff.

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

I'd prefer it to be an option.

Like flip a switch on your regular car if your too drunk to drive or just want to read a book on the way to work.

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Yeah, driverless taxis from the bar would be cool
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Terrible idea.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

Society

relevant:

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Would you use one if it were available? I'd be worried about big brother taking control of the vehicle via computer technology and driving me the hell off a cliff.
    Not sure we'd have much of a choice, Lark. Technological evolution dictates that there'll be a transitional period during which bugs are worked out and deaths will stem, but I imagine it shouldn't take us longer than 20 years to solve that single problem.

Just to put it in perspective, know anyone who owns an ipad. You understand how quickly everything is merging, correct.

thinking of you

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by sleuthiness View Post
    Not sure we'd have much of a choice, Lark. Technological evolution dictates that there'll be a transitional period during which bugs are worked out and deaths will stem, but I imagine it shouldn't take us longer than 20 years to solve that single problem.

Just to put it in perspective, know anyone who owns an ipad. You understand how quickly everything is merging, correct.
    I dont understand the reference to iPads.

The TV piece which had it on was very interesting and they said that it wouldnt be in operation for a long time, that it'd be something like what Discobiscuit described, that the car would ask if you wanted some sort of autopilot option on familiar routes but that it would be speed restricted travel too in order to permit GPS guidance and it didnt look like it was urban traffic either if you know what I mean, no lane changes etc.

It'd be interesting to see if eventually it could involve such a thing, it would be interesting to me if you took the driver out of the equation if there would be better driving and more conviviality on the roads.

On the other hand, like I say, automated transport just permits way too many risks by way of hacking or hijacking for my liking and I'm sure there'd be a significant minority like me who feel the same way and would be inclined to drive the older models as a result.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    there'd be a significant minority like me who feel the same way and would be inclined to drive the older models as a result.
    Then what?

thinking of you

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by sleuthiness View Post
    Then what?
    I dont understand what you're asking.

WALMART

It's the future.

I mean, an AI will infinitely be better at vehicular operation than anyone else on the road. Cars will talk to each other, let each other know when they need to merge and adjust speeds appropriately, etc etc etc.