User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Driverless cars and automated cars

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I think it's a good idea - ultimately if it were widely accepted, I bet that there would be a shit-ton fewer accidental deaths. Even if there are a few glitches/hacking/whatever, is that really any different from some drunk idiot ramming into you head on at full speed? I think a lot of people have an illusion of total control when driving which can be very misleading. Excellent defensive drivers are killed on the road every day, through no fault of their own.

I'm not in favour of eliminating (optional) manual control though, at least not in the foreseeable future.
    -end of thread-

Society

sorry @KDude, was using you as a one-man testing ground. yes i see your point and i can see how a lot of SPs might have trouble giving up driving.

in the long run i don't think it will matter much though. the prevalence of any technology that provides us with free time will bring about the prevalence of ways to use that time, whether it's pressure from work & education, family & friends, or just the availability of alternative activities.

and with self-driving cars, the car eventually becomes a private waiting room.

Meat Tornado Array DiscoBiscuit's Avatar
    Enneagram
    8w9

I wont ever give up driving.

As a car enthusiast I'll take the option, but there must always be the option for manual control.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

I have a hard enough time with the loss of control by using cruise control. I do understand the potential safety reasons and other advantages to automated driving but it would take me awhile to stop driving manually.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Would you use one if it were available? I'd be worried about big brother taking control of the vehicle via computer technology and driving me the hell off a cliff.
    Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    It's the future.

I mean, an AI will infinitely be better at vehicular operation than anyone else on the road. Cars will talk to each other, let each other know when they need to merge and adjust speeds appropriately, etc etc etc.
    I agree with @Lark in that I'd be very worried about the level of artificial intelligence being insufficient so that I end up being killed. However, I agree with @jontherobot in that this will eventually be a realty and the majority of cars will operate this way and eventually the AI will prove to be better drivers than humans.

Until then, I'll stick to driving until there are extensive tests to prove the safety and reliability of AI ran vehicles.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne