User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Are forums a bad time investment?

5w4 sp/sx

I haven't found much time for forums in the last few years. But when I do have spare time, I really enjoy them. Having made some of my closest friends from forums and social sites, I think it's been time well spent on that basis alone. That, and I tend to otherwise spend my time on the internet stuck inside my bubble, reading things that I already agree with and not getting exposed to a whole lot of different viewpoints. Forums broaden the way I explore ideas while I'm "wasting time on the internet".
    Rational idealist. Ethical hedonist. Secular humanist. Libertarian centrist. Lawful neutral. Melancholic. Medicated Bipolar I. Cat person. Kuudere. Dark magical girl. Slytherin. Alcoholic milkshake enthusiast.
    Johari | Nohari

The dream to awaken our world.

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    5w6 sp/so
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I'd say I learned a lot especially during my first couple of years here, but I also spent a little too much time here. Now it is more balanced, as a lot of thread topics are cyclical and I don't feel the same need to respond. I still find certain threads are still very worthwhile to me, the forum is useful for accessing a form of social interaction not readily available in my community and I've made some friends here that I value. I also really like having a wide pool of expertise available in a way that I can't otherwise access all in one place.

I think a place like this is problematic if it is used as an escape from or substitute for real life, or if it starts taking up a disproportionate amount of time compared to other activities. I think if is keeping you from real life obligations or causing you to become a porer spouse, parent or employee, then the amount of time spent needs some review. Overall though I am not sorry for the time I've spent here.

Very well said. I've thought alot about the same thing. Overall I've cut back quite a bit on the time and posting I do not here since I first joined. I think I've finally reached that happy medium. For awhile this forum and other related ones were occupying most of my spare time. The first thing I'd do when I got home from work was to check the forum and once in a while, I'd check at work although we're not supposed to. Now I can actually go a few days in a row without having a strong need to go to the forum.
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Neutral Good

It really depends on what kind of return you are looking for. Forums like this seem a good place for socializing and typology makes a good topic for conversations that have no end. Forums can either be a good or bad investment in looking for specific info such as "What size sub woofer and amp should I put in my Kei car". It really just depends on what you want. But figuring out what you want and being honest with yourself about it can be pretty hard.