User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

It'll depend on the poster and their reasons for being here; also how they use it can vary over time and so different motivations can come into play from one time period to another.

For myself, and my own psychae, it's mostly a time sink/ bad investment.

Not to say I haven't had really good convos and gained some insight into various things, but most of the time it's more of an ocd-ish or avoidant (i.e. devoting more to forum than to irl things/people which I would rather prioritize) thing for me. So, I try to keep it at more of a balance and will pull back whenever I think it's getting too excessive.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Bunnies & Rainbow Socks Kayness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEI

Forums are a good for having my social needs, which is never very high, met..but yes it can be very addictive and that's when it is kind of a waste of time. Whenever I take a break from a forum after having been involved I'm always surprised at how much time I suddenly have and how much energy I can direct towards doing productive things.
    9w1 4w5 5w4 sp/sx RCUAI
    art blog
    Twitter

"I set about seeking a style in the realm of legend. Something that might allow me to give free rein to my juvenile sense of romanticism and the beautiful image"
    - Leni Riefenstahl
    [/CENTER]

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Group discussions are one of the best ways to refine and share ideas. When I don't take it to extreme fluff, it's not time wasted to me.
    I was about to post a whine about how I thought my time was wasted on forums but then I read this and realised it wasnt, although still on average I probably spend too much time online and on forums but realistically no one I meet in the common run of my daily life engages in topical discussions like a forum does. It fufils a need.

I would also say that discussions on forums have contributed to leaps and bounds in my thinking style, critical thinking skills etc.

Not necessarily this one but I've visited forums which were also visited by people who were using every trick in schopeneur's (spelling) book on argumentation or other debate tactics, its been great to read all that, not even contribute just read it all. Fluff I dont resent or worry about because it develops the group sometimes, when its not just trolling or provoking (which sadly it descends into, with predictable frequency in the case of about three or four posters here at least).

Its not just about honing discussion skills though, occasionally its nice to find agreement or resonance or understanding from others (although admittedly rare here, its rarer in real life) and I have made friends on most of the forums I've visited and spent time with them offline too. Some of them I'm still on a regular talking with basis.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kayness View Post
    Forums are a good for having my social needs, which is never very high, met..but yes it can be very addictive and that's when it is kind of a waste of time. Whenever I take a break from a forum after having been involved I'm always surprised at how much time I suddenly have and how much energy I can direct towards doing productive things.
    True on both counts I reckon.

Bertrand Russell talks in his book about the conquest of happiness that he looked forward to a time in the future when intellectuals wouldnt be so isolated in their communities, I'm sure he was talking about people exchanging letters or something but the internet is a kind of solution he couldnt have guessed at.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    Time is overrated.
    My thoughts exactly - I believe this because we are on a journey, where we should explore all aspects of it, rather than just race to the end without gathering the right amount of 'experience points'.

Time is only an illusion, a dimension that was spoken by the witness, where he mentioned the structure of everything in words and gave it diverse qualities.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

If one is leading an unbalanced lifestyle because of spending too much of one's time on a forum, then yes. Too much would lead to an unhealthy life. Example: Losing social skills like becoming a hermit is a threat to a successful life.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

As another tangent to this conversation would foruming be more or less a waste of time or trigger to an unhealthy lifestyle than online gaming, x box live gaming or any of the chat and discussion functions of those?

your resident asshole

It's generally a waste of time, but I do agree with some of the users that it's good for my social needs. I don't have many acquaintances in real life.

But that's essentially why I'm not here often...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I live in the land of Walmart, meth, and The Colts. I'm not saying that the forum is not a waste of time, but I don't see equivalent socializing irl being a big improvement as a general rule.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I live in the land of Walmart, meth, and The Colts. I'm not saying that the forum is not a waste of time, but I don't see equivalent socializing irl being a big improvement as a general rule.
    Yeah, that's something I had to learn, I used to obsess and rant about the internet being a collossal time suck or wish that I could be less in the habit of wanting to go online and refresh sites like this one but the reality is what's the next best alternative really?

When I'm not working I want to relax, you cant dedicate every waking moment to self-improvement, gaming, reading etc. foruming is one way because there's no better social outlets.