User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Results 41 to 50 of 65

Thread: Umm, the Pope

  1. #41
    FRACTALICIOUS phobik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    7,370

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    It's interesting how the Catholic church thinks that about America, yet at the same time, we're seen as puritanical immature spoiled brat compared to the rest of the western world.
    FYP.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

    Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

  2. #42
    Senior Member Nicodemus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    9,129

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    How about a young, hip pope? You think we'll have one of those one day?
    Young and hip compared to now, but not to his own time.

  3. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    It's interesting how the Catholic church thinks that about America, yet at the same time, we're seen as puritanical compared to the rest of the western world.

    How about a young, hip pope? You think we'll have one of those one day?
    Why revere youth instead of age and experience? The RCC is one of the rare exceptions in this day and age in not being subsumed in the "cult of youth", which a lot of the time means the stupid or inept, I actually like the idea that Popes are people who will have lived long enough to be able to tell a passing fad or phase in any epoch from the other meaningful and important paradigm shifts.

    The Church has outlived a lot of different political and economic philosophies which have often ruined or killed on almost unimaginable scales without deciding as nation states, mass movements and individuals have done that they simply have to adopt this or that of them.

    I wasnt even that keen on a lot of the media coverage's repeated talk about elections and the making of political parallels and analogies, I would have substituted "decided" for "elected", not because I dont believe in democracy but because I think its a category error to compare the two things and also that democracy is in serious disrepair, even the best or oldest (not necessarily the same) examples of electoral and representative democracy are little more than popularity contests, like some high school or frat affair.

  4. #44

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Why revere youth instead of age and experience? The RCC is one of the rare exceptions in this day and age in not being subsumed in the "cult of youth", which a lot of the time means the stupid or inept, I actually like the idea that Popes are people who will have lived long enough to be able to tell a passing fad or phase in any epoch from the other meaningful and important paradigm shifts.

    The Church has outlived a lot of different political and economic philosophies which have often ruined or killed on almost unimaginable scales without deciding as nation states, mass movements and individuals have done that they simply have to adopt this or that of them.

    I wasnt even that keen on a lot of the media coverage's repeated talk about elections and the making of political parallels and analogies, I would have substituted "decided" for "elected", not because I dont believe in democracy but because I think its a category error to compare the two things and also that democracy is in serious disrepair, even the best or oldest (not necessarily the same) examples of electoral and representative democracy are little more than popularity contests, like some high school or frat affair.
    What makes the election of a pope any less of a popularity contest than that of an election for president?
    Dirt Farmer

  5. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheStarchDefenders View Post
    What makes the election of a pope any less of a popularity contest than that of an election for president?
    God.

  6. #46
    Senior Member Ism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Posts
    1,103

    Default

    Popes are always so damn old.

  7. #47

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    God.
    Derp.
    Dirt Farmer

  8. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    MBTI
    xxTP
    Posts
    1,261

    Default

    The memes from Argentina




    and this one says on the left "what the world saw" and on the right, "what the Argentineans saw"



    Also, from Britain but a good one


  9. #49
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    When are they gonna let an American be pope? Or why don't they let an American be pope?
    They don't want a Pope from the world's hegemon, but when the USA becomes number 2 to China, then we will see a Pope from the USA.

  10. #50
    & Badger, Ratty and Toad Mole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    18,529

    The Falklands and the Malvinas

    Is the Falklands Catholic?

    Is the Falklands Argentinian?

    It the Pope Catholic?

    And is the Pope Argentinian?

Similar Threads

  1. Top Ten Reasons Why the Pope Handed in His Three-Week Notice
    By Totenkindly in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 02-12-2013, 01:59 PM
  2. [INTJ] The Pope an INTJ
    By fragrance in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 03-28-2011, 04:57 PM
  3. Paying for the Pope
    By Salomé in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 145
    Last Post: 09-20-2010, 07:54 PM
  4. Cognitive functions vs. umm... the other thingy =)
    By /DG/ in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 05-20-2009, 09:57 PM
  5. The New Seven Deadly Sins- Courtesy of the Pope - do you agree and what is your list?
    By Geoff in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-16-2008, 03:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO