User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Thread: Umm, the Pope

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    It's interesting how the Catholic church thinks that about America, yet at the same time, we're seen as puritanical immature spoiled brat compared to the rest of the western world.
    FYP.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

How about a young, hip pope? You think we'll have one of those one day?
    Young and hip compared to now, but not to his own time.

It's interesting how the Catholic church thinks that about America, yet at the same time, we're seen as puritanical compared to the rest of the western world.

How about a young, hip pope? You think we'll have one of those one day?
    Why revere youth instead of age and experience? The RCC is one of the rare exceptions in this day and age in not being subsumed in the "cult of youth", which a lot of the time means the stupid or inept, I actually like the idea that Popes are people who will have lived long enough to be able to tell a passing fad or phase in any epoch from the other meaningful and important paradigm shifts.

The Church has outlived a lot of different political and economic philosophies which have often ruined or killed on almost unimaginable scales without deciding as nation states, mass movements and individuals have done that they simply have to adopt this or that of them.

I wasnt even that keen on a lot of the media coverage's repeated talk about elections and the making of political parallels and analogies, I would have substituted "decided" for "elected", not because I dont believe in democracy but because I think its a category error to compare the two things and also that democracy is in serious disrepair, even the best or oldest (not necessarily the same) examples of electoral and representative democracy are little more than popularity contests, like some high school or frat affair.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Why revere youth instead of age and experience? The RCC is one of the rare exceptions in this day and age in not being subsumed in the "cult of youth", which a lot of the time means the stupid or inept, I actually like the idea that Popes are people who will have lived long enough to be able to tell a passing fad or phase in any epoch from the other meaningful and important paradigm shifts.

The Church has outlived a lot of different political and economic philosophies which have often ruined or killed on almost unimaginable scales without deciding as nation states, mass movements and individuals have done that they simply have to adopt this or that of them.

I wasnt even that keen on a lot of the media coverage's repeated talk about elections and the making of political parallels and analogies, I would have substituted "decided" for "elected", not because I dont believe in democracy but because I think its a category error to compare the two things and also that democracy is in serious disrepair, even the best or oldest (not necessarily the same) examples of electoral and representative democracy are little more than popularity contests, like some high school or frat affair.
    What makes the election of a pope any less of a popularity contest than that of an election for president?
    Dirt Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by TheStarchDefenders View Post
    What makes the election of a pope any less of a popularity contest than that of an election for president?
    God.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Popes are always so damn old.

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    God.
    Derp.
    Dirt Farmer

MBTI
    xxTP

The memes from Argentina

and this one says on the left "what the world saw" and on the right, "what the Argentineans saw"

Also, from Britain but a good one

When are they gonna let an American be pope? Or why don't they let an American be pope?
    They don't want a Pope from the world's hegemon, but when the USA becomes number 2 to China, then we will see a Pope from the USA.

The Falklands and the Malvinas

Is the Falklands Catholic?

Is the Falklands Argentinian?

It the Pope Catholic?

And is the Pope Argentinian?