Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Please! We have an American Pope, Pope Francis I, our first South American Pope.
    As in US pope, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    You're either arguing hyperbolically, or you're implying that the Catholic Church cannot exist without celibacy.
    I'm not being hyperbolic. You sound upset enough and pessimistic enough that the only course left for you is taking action. Generally, when people are dead set against something this much, they decide to fight.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I'm not being hyperbolic. You sound upset enough and pessimistic enough that the only course left for you is taking action. Generally, when people are dead set against something this much, they decide to fight.
    What course would you recommend?

What course would you recommend?
    Beats me. You're the ENTP apparently. Maybe you can come up with something yourself.

I'll say this.. Institutional competition has not worked. The reformation never reformed anything, and just went on it's own.

Science hasn't.

Direct assassination attempts haven't.

Not even provocative popstars who take names like Madonna, and tried to redefine that for themselves.

edit: Someone just told me her real name is Madonna (I thought it was Donna). My bad.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

New Pope is awesome and kicks ass.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    A pope who is good for the church is bad for the world, so I hope he will be horrible. I thought they would choose Scola. Glad I did not bet on it.
    Perhaps he will be like the fictional Pope Kyrill in "Shoes of the Fisherman" and finally put the church's resources (e.g. money) where its mouth is in addressing world injustice and suffering.

You're either arguing hyperbolically, or you're implying that the Catholic Church cannot exist without celibacy.
    Celibacy doesn't seem to have been a requirement in the first few centuries of the church. The same period which saw a far greater diversity of Christian thought than at any time since.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I'll say this.. Institutional competition has not worked. The reformation never reformed anything, and just went on it's own.

Science hasn't.

Direct assassination attempts haven't.

Not even provocative popstars who take names like Madonna, and tried to redefine that for themselves.
    It really doesn't matter much any more what happens to the church as an institution, now that membership is not compulsory, and penalties limited to excommunication. If someone doesn't like it, they can just vote with their feet, and their time and dollars. Plenty have.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Who is Pope Francis?

After less than 24 hours of deliberation, the College of Cardinals has elected Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio from Argentina to become the Roman Catholic Church’s 266th leader, who will be the Church’s first-ever South American pope and who will be henceforth known as Pope Francis. Here are some facts about the new pope:

Date Of Birth: December 17, 1936

Date Of Death: November 16, 2015

Number Of People Who Don’t Give A Shit What He Thinks About Anything: Approximately 5.8 billion

Spouse: Isabel Alba Bergoglio

Children: Rebecca (b. 2002), Timothy (b. 2006)

Main Goals For Papacy: Keep Catholic people Catholic, convince other people to become Catholic

Old: Yes

White: Yes

Women’s Rights: Nah

Ability To Walk Up Steps Without Help: Not great

Highest-Charting Single:“Wanna Do Ya Girl (But tha Lord is My Love),” 1989, Arista Records

Official Website: techdeals.com

What He Thinks Heaven Is Like: Mix of clouds and astroturf

Outrage Over Sexual Abuse In Catholic Church: Yeah, sure
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    When are they gonna let an American be pope? Or why don't they let an American be pope?
    They're seen as too autonomous and unwilling to tow the Vatican's party line. If an American came in with "radical" ideas like female clergy or even hinted at something like that Africa would be in an uproar
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    They're seen as too autonomous and unwilling to tow the Vatican's party line. If an American came in with "radical" ideas like female clergy or even hinted at something like that Africa would be in an uproar
    The Curia would have him asssassinated first. That is the conspiracy theory about the quick demise of Pope John Paul I.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by UniqueMixture View Post
    It's interesting how the Catholic church thinks that about America, yet at the same time, we're seen as puritanical compared to the rest of the western world.

How about a young, hip pope? You think we'll have one of those one day?