Thread: Umm, the Pope

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

When are they gonna let an American be pope? Or why don't they let an American be pope?

Quote Originally Posted by The Ü View Post
    When are they gonna let an American be pope? Or why don't they let an American be pope?
    Please! We have an American Pope, Pope Francis I, our first South American Pope.

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    To me, the pope represents the ecclesiastical and religious antithesis of spirituality.
    The Protestants call the Pope, the Whore of Babylon, and Old Red Socks, because it's true, he wears red socks.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    He was head of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith for years, where he collected data on child abuse cases from all over the world. He knew more than we know now. If not from that office, he could have done more to protect potential victims when he became pope, but instead he chose to continue protecting the culprits. It is apparent that he cares more about the church than about people.
    Yes, he succeeded in protecting the Bishops but failed in protecting the children.

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I don't see what that has to do with holding an office though. Jesus is condemning those who speak in his name, but commit wrongful acts. This is something that bears down on any individual. Not an office. If you're going to hold someone accountable, hold them accountable for what they actually do. Just like you would expect the same of yourself. Everyone deserves a chance, basically. Your title or job doesn't necessary preclude that you're bound to do something awful. Unless, of course, your title is something like "Commander of the 13th Battalion of Fetuspults". It's easy to assume you're up to no good then.
    Of course if you're in charge of an organization which upholds psychologically irrational and biblically questionable standards like celibacy, and there is a scandalous number of church leaders engaging in sexual behavior which is not just immoral, but even illegal and hurtful to another innocent person, then the responsibility extends to the leaders who fail to take rational action.

-----------------------
    At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who, then, is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?"

He called a little child to him, and placed the child among them. And he said: "Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Therefore, whoever takes the lowly position of this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me."

"If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea. Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to stumble! Such things must come, but woe to the person through whom they come!"

Matthew 18:1-7
    -----------------------

Protestants need to get over demonizing Rome. So passé. So 16th century.

Part of the problem was Italian rule under the Medici (and their Popes). It was a bad time, when the office was taken control of from guys who were basically the Renaissance equivalent of Tony Soprano.

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Of course if you're in charge of an organization which upholds psychologically irrational and biblically questionable standards like celibacy, and there is a scandalous number of church leaders engaging in sexual behavior which is not just immoral, but even illegal and hurtful to another innocent person, then the responsibility extends to the leaders who fail to take rational action.--
    Well, go do something about it then, if you're that set against them. Apparently this guy is already condemned before he gets a chance to fix things himself. Not only that, he's automatically guilty himself. So what you're saying is everything is broken beyond repair. That isn't even criticism. That's calling for the church's entire removal. Good luck.

A pope who is good for the church is bad for the world, so I hope he will be horrible. I thought they would choose Scola. Glad I did not bet on it.

Protestants need to get over demonizing Rome. So passé. So 16th century.
    So Anti-Christ, so Whore of Babylon, but with Child Abuse, everything old is new again.

Well, go do something about it then, if you're that set against them. Apparently this guy is already condemned before he gets a chance to fix things himself. Not only that, he's automatically guilty himself. So what you're saying is everything is broken beyond repair. That isn't even criticism. That's calling for the church's entire removal. Good luck.
    You're either arguing hyperbolically, or you're implying that the Catholic Church cannot exist without celibacy.