User Tag List

12 Last

Default Imaginery violence prohibited?

http://kdvr.com/2013/02/04/7-year-ol...nded-for-real/

I dont know whether or not the source of this is kosher, although I wanted opinions on the topic which the article brings up and not just the article itself, what harm is there in imaginery play which would appear to be of a positive character but which has an action or fighting or violent element?

I remember hearing about a book a while back which was about the theme of slaying imaginary monsters and how important that has been, at least in the past, as part of a child's development, I didnt read it because I guessed it could be just a restatement of what I found obvious and I dont always go in for that kind of reading, particularly if there's a lot of other things I mean to read at the time but I mention it because I know there's been research done which would appear to be contrary to the ideas of the school in this article (I could find links to the other source if people think it would be useful).

MBTI
    INTP

I applaud these journalists for informing myself and others of this lunacy. Now we all know which schools to avoid

Lol. This reminds me of my brother getting busted in 2nd grade for playing nazis v. Allies during recess. They didn't care for the swasticas that were carved into the playground equipment by the nazi side.
    @Lark your comment about the importance of imaginary evil reminds me of Chesterton's thoughts on the issue.

"Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon. Exactly what the fairy tale does is this: it accustoms him for a series of clear pictures to the idea that these limitless terrors had a limit, that these shapeless enemies have enemies in the knights of God, that there is something in the universe more mystical than darkness, and stronger than strong fear."
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    Lol. This reminds me of my brother getting busted in 2nd grade for playing nazis v. Allies during recess. They didn't care for the swasticas that were carved into the playground equipment by the nazi side.
    @Lark your comment about the importance of imaginary evil reminds me of Chesterton's thoughts on the issue.

"Fairy tales, then, are not responsible for producing in children fear, or any of the shapes of fear; fairy tales do not give the child the idea of the evil or the ugly; that is in the child already, because it is in the world already. Fairy tales do not give the child his first idea of bogey. What fairy tales give the child is his first clear idea of the possible defeat of bogey. The baby has known the dragon intimately ever since he had an imagination. What the fairy tale provides for him is a St. George to kill the dragon. Exactly what the fairy tale does is this: it accustoms him for a series of clear pictures to the idea that these limitless terrors had a limit, that these shapeless enemies have enemies in the knights of God, that there is something in the universe more mystical than darkness, and stronger than strong fear."
    I like Chesterton but didnt know this quote, were did you get it Beorn?

I can say that when I was a kid I had a terror of vampires, I'm not sure exactly were it came from and I know it wasnt from reading novels or watching horror films although perhaps I saw some clips of hammer horror movies at my uncle's house but the idea was there already, when I was older and watched horror movies with vampires in them and read vampire novels, such as Dracula, it was the van helsing or slayer character who I found most prominant or interesting.

So by my own experience I can say that Chesterton is entirely correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    I applaud these journalists for informing myself and others of this lunacy. Now we all know which schools to avoid
    Is it for real then?

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I like Chesterton but didnt know this quote, were did you get it Beorn?

I can say that when I was a kid I had a terror of vampires, I'm not sure exactly were it came from and I know it wasnt from reading novels or watching horror films although perhaps I saw some clips of hammer horror movies at my uncle's house but the idea was there already, when I was older and watched horror movies with vampires in them and read vampire novels, such as Dracula, it was the van helsing or slayer character who I found most prominant or interesting.

So by my own experience I can say that Chesterton is entirely correct.
    I was just fimiliar with the variant: "Fairy tales are more than true — not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten."

When I looked it up though I saw the full quote was from Tremendous Trifles (1909), XVII: "The Red Angel"
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

I can see him growing into a very stable individual
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Cool, so they don't condone imaginary violence, but then use the emotional violence of suspension to enforce it. Cool, Cool. Is that article a joke?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Is it for real then?
    It's all real

Quote Originally Posted by Little_Sticks View Post
    Cool, so they don't condone imaginary violence, but then use the emotional violence of suspension to enforce it. Cool, Cool. Is that article a joke?
    Yeah, that was my thinking, the cutting edge of thinking, as far as I'm concerned, in education, teaching and even social care is about inclusion rather than exclusion.

There's a point beyond which it only makes sense to exclude because the individual is causing suffering to others which is really great, and to themselves, even though they might not want to acknowledge it repeatedly engaging in social interaction fails will do that. However I really dont think what's being described here is that point.

It doesnt even sound like a game of soldiers, when I think about how we used to play cowboys and indians with small plastic cast men when I was young it was way worse than this and very possibly racist, we also had lots of games running about with make believe machine guns or toy ones. Its impossible to get actual plastic toy guns in the UK now pretty much.