User Tag List

Thread: U.N. Drone Inquiry

1w2 so/sp

Default U.N. Drone Inquiry

Emmerson, the United Nations’ special rapporteur for human rights and counterterrorism, will spend the next five months doing something the Obama administration has thoroughly resisted: unearthing the dirty secrets of a global counterterrorism campaign that largely relies on rapidly proliferating drone technology. Announced on Thursday in London, it’s the first international inquiry into the drone program, and one that carries the imprimatur of the world body. By the next session of the United Nations in the fall, Emmerson hopes to provide the General Assembly with an report on 25 drone strikes in Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia and Palestine where civilian deaths are credibly alleged.
    The double-tap strikes are a seeming cousin of the “signature strikes,” in which the CIA attacks people without knowing their names, because they seem to fit a pattern of terrorist behavior. “Civilians live in constant fear,” Holewinski says. “Did I just stand next to a member of al-Qaida at a market? Does that mean I’m about to be targeted by a drone?”

@Beorn @DiscoBiscuit
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

If this makes conservatives and R's suddenly champion the UN, I'll laugh. This investigation would be worth it.

The last paragraph is very interesting, it is a form of terrorism but its the old belief, which I'd hoped had been left behind by everyone, including governments that populations can be intimidated into providing the necessary pressure or "self-policing" to stop insurgent activity. So if someone fears enough for their own life they will prevent others engaging in insurgent activity and do the job of the authorities for them.

It was the same logic behind much of the tacit support given by the protestant/unionist community to loyalist paramilitary killings, before anyone alledges sectarianism on my part there were unionist party contenders for leadership at the time of the good friday agreement who actually went on the record saying this, saying that loyalist terrorism had been successful because it had provided the popular pressure which brought republicans to the negotiating table.

I personally felt that was an incredibly scary thing for a public official to say, I couldnt see how it could be construed as anything other than encouraging of those same terrorist elements who werent and never will be within the control of those same politicians but I found out afterwards that its official doctrine or policy in irregular or counter insurgency or low intensity warfare as worked out by the Americans in latin America.

Despite Iran-Contra gate and other similar scandals the policy of US administrations in removing the Sandinistas and elements like them has been considered a success.