User Tag List

First 345

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    1. Unless Rand Paul has a plan to deal with the military industrial complex, his doctrine will fail.
    2. Obama is not a liberal. He's a pro-corporate moderate.
    Both true.

To the first comment, I think his previous proposed budget cuts to defense shows that he's willing to take the complex on though it might be unwise to be as rhetorically loud about the complex as father has been.

To the second comment, his rhetoric is liberal but his actual actions put him in the moderate pro-corporate camp as you say.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

I'd say I'm pretty neutral about this so far. My only problem, however, would be in trying to understand what kind of qualifications Rand Paul has in foreign policy. He seems to be knowledgeable about medicine and economics, but what about foreign policy? I looked into his background and I'm not seeing much there that would give him much gravitas in foreign policy matters. For instance, if he ran for president in 2016 and debated someone who really is a foreign policy expert, how would that turn out? I could name several people right now that would beat him in a foreign policy debate just on overall expertise, even if the main points he might be trying to make were valid. Foreign policy isn't exactly the kind of thing you can just read up on and expect to become an expert in. To be a little more specific, I saw nothing in his speech which gave me much of an indication that he knew a great deal about the inner dynamics of Soviet politics when Gorbachev came on the scene. This idea that the Cold War ended because Reagan gave a speech in which he said "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall" is pretty simplistic. I'm trying to have an open mind on this. But if Rand Paul expects to be taken seriously in foreign policy, he needs to do a lot of digging. I wish him luck. Whatever helps the country. I hope somebody does something.

Quote Originally Posted by sorenx7 View Post
    I'd say I'm pretty neutral about this so far. My only problem, however, would be in trying to understand what kind of qualifications Rand Paul has in foreign policy. He seems to be knowledgeable about medicine and economics, but what about foreign policy? I looked into his background and I'm not seeing much there that would give him much gravitas in foreign policy matters. For instance, if he ran for president in 2016 and debated someone who really is a foreign policy expert, how would that turn out? I could name several people right now that would beat him in a foreign policy debate just on overall expertise, even if the main points he might be trying to make were valid. Foreign policy isn't exactly the kind of thing you can just read up on and expect to become an expert in. To be a little more specific, I saw nothing in his speech which gave me much of an indication that he knew a great deal about the inner dynamics of Soviet politics when Gorbachev came on the scene. This idea that the Cold War ended because Reagan gave a speech in which he said "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall" is pretty simplistic. I'm trying to have an open mind on this. But if Rand Paul expects to be taken seriously in foreign policy, he needs to do a lot of digging. I wish him luck. Whatever helps the country. I hope somebody does something.
    You bring up some valid criticisms though I would say that really in a lot of ways that speech was still more academic than your typical politician's foreign policy rhetoric. One has to recognize that the speech was not crafted as a speech for the Johns Hopkins Foreign Policy Institute, but rather crafted for general consumption. More importantly, he's trying to simultaneously attract more hawkish republicans without alienating his libertarian base. Handling that tightrope is more important than showing off one's knowledge. His ability to walk that tightrope is also a good indicator of his ability to walk the tightrope between republicans and moderates in the general. As he is now on the foreign relations committee hopefully he will be quite informed on the issues and learning more in the run up to 2016 so that he won't just be qualified to attain the job, but also aualified to actually do it. On the whole though it is encouraging that he is not like his father in his simple attitude toward foreign relations nor is he as short-sighted as current and past administrations especially when it comes to aiding rebels. He recognizes that things are complex, but is not willing to use that as a mere excuse for continuing the military industrial complex.

Thanks to your post I will be looking for more detailed analysis from Rand and his affilliated orgs in the coming months and years.
    Take the weakest thing in you
    And then beat the bastards with it
    And always hold on when you get love
    So you can let go when you give it

Quote Originally Posted by Beorn View Post
    You bring up some valid criticisms though I would say that really in a lot of ways that speech was still more academic than your typical politician's foreign policy rhetoric. One has to recognize that the speech was not crafted as a speech for the Johns Hopkins Foreign Policy Institute, but rather crafted for general consumption. More importantly, he's trying to simultaneously attract more hawkish republicans without alienating his libertarian base. Handling that tightrope is more important than showing off one's knowledge. His ability to walk that tightrope is also a good indicator of his ability to walk the tightrope between republicans and moderates in the general. As he is now on the foreign relations committee hopefully he will be quite informed on the issues and learning more in the run up to 2016 so that he won't just be qualified to attain the job, but also aualified to actually do it. On the whole though it is encouraging that he is not like his father in his simple attitude toward foreign relations nor is he as short-sighted as current and past administrations especially when it comes to aiding rebels. He recognizes that things are complex, but is not willing to use that as a mere excuse for continuing the military industrial complex.

Thanks to your post I will be looking for more detailed analysis from Rand and his affilliated orgs in the coming months and years.
    If he decided to run for president, I think he would have a hard time. It seems to me the Republicans need someone who can appeal to non-white voters. I doubt that Rand Paul is the answer to that. In fact, I think anyone with his base would have a hard time winning a general election. If the Republicans don't learn anything from the Romney fiasco, they'll have no one to blame but themselves.