12 Last

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

Default Man gets fired for outsourcing his own job to china

An investigation into a quiet software developer's browsing history found he'd been secretly subcontracting his job to a Chinese firm so that he could surf Reddit and watch cat videos at work, according to a blog post by security experts at U.S. telecom firm Verizon Enterprise Solutions

"We received a request from a U.S.-based company asking for our help in understanding some anomalous activity that they were witnessing in their [virtual private network] logs," said Andrew Valentine, a forensics manager at Verizon in a post on the the company's website on Wednesday.

The company at which the man worked, which is not named on Verizon's blog, discovered in May 2012 that someone in Shenyang, China, was using an employee's log-in information to access their network – a service set up two years earlier so employees could work virtually from home on certain days.

The log-in belonged to "Bob," a mid-40s family man with a "relatively long tenure with the company," Valentine said. "Someone you wouldn’t look at twice in an elevator."

"Plainly stated, the VPN logs showed him logged in from China, yet the employee is right there, sitting at his desk, staring into his monitor," says Valentine. "Based on what information they had obtained, the company initially suspected some kind of unknown malware that was able to route traffic from a trusted internal connection to China, and then back.

Verizon investigators were called in to help and seized Bob's computer for clues, suspecting an external attack may have come from a corrupted download.

"What we found surprised us – hundreds of PDF invoices from a third party contractor/developer in [you
    guessed it] Shenyang, China," Valentine said.

The quiet and inoffensive employee had been outsourcing his job, for about a fifth of his six-figure salary.

Why is this illegal? This guy is a genius.
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

lol he should have just had the guy login through an American proxy server ... wouldn't have raised any suspicion then!

I've taken jobs here for web development and outsourced aspects of the work to India ... it leverages my time and is cost-effective.

But I've got to admit, sitting at your desk every day and having someone login as you ... takes it to a new level! Should the guy have been fired? Sure, it's fraud. At least he outsourced to someone competent though!

EDIT: plus, if I was that guy, I would have been developing my own sites instead of playing all day. ULTIMATE MULTI-TASKING!
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

It shouldn't be illegal. That's absurd. If a company wants to make it a condition of employment that the employee work directly, fine. But if they haven't done so, and the employee is able to outsource, why stop them? He's just being efficient. Subcontracting in general isn't illegal. Why is this different from any other example of subcontracting?
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    INTP

I say if there are Chinese who are willing and able to do the same quality work for a fifth of the pay, then let the Chinese have the work. Just because we are Americans does not mean that we are entitled to best and highest paying jobs.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The problem here is the security issue. Companies often have strict rules on who has access to their internal network, their source code, their trade secrets. It was a huge breach of security.

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    It shouldn't be illegal. That's absurd. If a company wants to make it a condition of employment that the employee work directly, fine. But if they haven't done so, and the employee is able to outsource, why stop them? He's just being efficient. Subcontracting in general isn't illegal. Why is this different from any other example of subcontracting?
    Are you joking? He hasnt the authority and responsibility for decisions like that, it jeopardises security, performance and opens the company to significant liability to litigation too.

Subcontracting and business decisions such as outsourcing are made by managers and human resources departments for a reason, accountability, oversight, corporate or business governance, to mention just a few.

Companies doing this is one thing, which may or may not be considered appropriate or socially conscientious, but individuals doing it in a complete wildcat fashion is something else altogether. I'm unsurprised its happened, both for reasons of dishonesty and dodging work and ridiculous wild market populism, you know what? You're not a CEO, just because, you're not the only thing holding you back, you're not welcome to innovate, you dont have a free hand to do what you want with other peoples businesses or workplaces, just because.

I dont know what causes this, whether its parents failing to teach people balance and realism and then people getting stoked up with a lot of toxic randism when they cant make friends later in life or what the hell is behind it but its wrong, wrong, wrong.

MBTI
    xxTP

The Onion once did a spoof of this.

Now it's become true. Unbelievable.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

The self-outsourcing isn't any more illegal than buying your own office equipment to help you with your job, or a contractor hiring subcontractors to get a job done. The problem is security. Most companies will give you a laptop with security set up for their systems, because they don't want to trust the security YOU would implement on your own personal laptop. The situation is similar here. A person from China is using the employee's login information to VPN in. This is a huge security breach. That employee's login is now entirely unsecure, and could be shared with any number of third parties and be involved in hacking attempts.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.

WALMART

You guys need to differentiate what is illegal and what a company won't tolerate.

Funny story.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    The self-outsourcing isn't any more illegal than buying your own office equipment to help you with your job, or a contractor hiring subcontractors to get a job done. The problem is security. Most companies will give you a laptop with security set up for their systems, because they don't want to trust the security YOU would implement on your own personal laptop. The situation is similar here. A person from China is using the employee's login information to VPN in. This is a huge security breach. That employee's login is now entirely unsecure, and could be shared with any number of third parties and be involved in hacking attempts.
    Agreed.

I was reading more about this today.

"Bob spent less that one fifth of his six-figure salary for a Chinese firm to do his job for him. Authentication was no problem, he physically FedExed his RSA token to China so that the third-party contractor could log-in under his credentials during the workday. It would appear that he was working an average 9 to 5 work day. Investigators checked his web browsing history, and that told the whole story."

Apparently "Bob" has done this for years, with other companies too. Fascinating. To make it even tighter, if this had been proxied through his home network, would it have even come up on the radar? "Bob" is logged in from home / vs "Bob" is sitting here. Are logs even monitored to that extent? I wonder how many companies actively monitor VPN login activity anyway?

Now I'm curious what percentage of salaried developers outsource chunks of their jobs ... I've done it as a self-employed person, but not when salaried or on contract. This makes me aware that I've drawn an imperceptibly ethical line on such things, as outsourcing that work hadn't been something I considered doing ... something to ponder.

Plus, that guy in China lost his job - perhaps it made a good life for him there. There's a win-win for both men when the "Bob" is employed, and a lose-lose with "Bob" out of work. All kinds of messy consequences as I think it through.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching