User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    The self-outsourcing isn't any more illegal than buying your own office equipment to help you with your job, or a contractor hiring subcontractors to get a job done.
    I don't know in the US, but in most developed countries (and even many underdeveloped) a contractor would need a licence, to be registered and to pay taxes on hiring workers for a third party, and that third party or "indirect" employer would also need to have a legally established relationship with the "agency" employee, via a three way contract, as well as fulfilling legal obligations to them directly.

I worked in a law firm administration department when I was a young whippersnapper and I know labor law is usually very complex regarding outsourcing or subcontracting. The final employer (in this case the guys employing company) can be open to all kinds of costly liabilities if they are not very careful in the wording of their contracts.

So yes maybe he could have caused all kinds of shit for them if they could have been shown to know about this, or even to not have taken sufficient steps to prevent it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Are you joking? He hasnt the authority and responsibility for decisions like that, it jeopardises security, performance and opens the company to significant liability to litigation too.

Subcontracting and business decisions such as outsourcing are made by managers and human resources departments for a reason, accountability, oversight, corporate or business governance, to mention just a few.

Companies doing this is one thing, which may or may not be considered appropriate or socially conscientious, but individuals doing it in a complete wildcat fashion is something else altogether. I'm unsurprised its happened, both for reasons of dishonesty and dodging work and ridiculous wild market populism, you know what? You're not a CEO, just because, you're not the only thing holding you back, you're not welcome to innovate, you dont have a free hand to do what you want with other peoples businesses or workplaces, just because.

I dont know what causes this, whether its parents failing to teach people balance and realism and then people getting stoked up with a lot of toxic randism when they cant make friends later in life or what the hell is behind it but its wrong, wrong, wrong.
    I was referring to legal consequences, mainly. I hought somebody had said something about it being illegal.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window

MBTI
    ISTP

It is not the same at all. When a whole company outsources there is oversight and access control.

He got sacked for putting the entire company's infrastructure at risk in a very real way. Think of it this way... as a developer, he would have access to the company's newest, yet to be released handset technology. Developers require access to the lab where new handsets are tested. His fully fledged VPN credentials (which make it as if whoever has them is sitting inside the building, they can access systems the same way) end up in China, which is full of "companies" notorious for making high-grade knock offs of authentic products including cell phones.

It's the worst type of credentials that could be leaked and in the worst place for them to be leaked. What is really surprising about this story is that the guy who got his credentials didn't go sell them to someone else. Firing the employee would be a no-brainer.

MBTI
    nerd

everyone else in the company was just jelly they didn't think of that. of course that level of hater buttfrustration couldn't go unanswered.

Quote Originally Posted by freeeekyyy View Post
    I was referring to legal consequences, mainly. I hought somebody had said something about it being illegal.
    I'm pretty sure it should be, he's authorised, at the very least, access to his company by a foreign national.

MBTI
    ISTP

At the vast majority of companies with a decent IT department, employees sign and agree not to disseminate access credentials any time they are granted them. Pretty sure sending your RSA keyfob to China counts as a violation...

Also, he granted the person remote access to his work desktop, which is company property. I'm sure that alone opens up a slew of other infringements.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Give him 105 years.

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Funny story.
    Seriously. I see a sequel for Office Space.

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by fripping View Post
    hater buttfrustration
    haha...+1

I will use that phrase one day, well done Sir.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I'm pretty sure it should be, he's authorised, at the very least, access to his company by a foreign national.
    You're probably right.
    You lose.

_______

RCOEI
    Melancholic-Choleric
    Respectful Leader

Johari Window|Nohari Window