User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Default 105yrs for stealing titty pics?

From The Associated Press

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- A man's unusually complicated hunt for nudity on the Internet may land him in prison for more than 100 years after federal prosecutors say he hacked into hundreds of social media and email accounts to coerce more than 350 women into showing him their naked bodies.

Karen "Gary" Kazaryan, 27, of Glendale, was arrested Tuesday after he was named in an indictment Friday alleging 15 counts of computer intrusion and 15 counts of aggravated identity theft, said Assistant U.S. Attorney Tracy L. Wilkison.

Prosecutors accuse Kazaryan of hacking into the women's accounts and searching Facebook messages, emails and other files for nude or semi-nude pictures of them.

He then posed as a friend, persuading them to strip while he watched via Skype, captured images of them, or both.

When the women discovered that Kazaryan was posing as a friend, he often blackmailed them with the nude photos he had fraudulently obtained to coerce more stripping, prosecutors said. In some cases, he's accused of posting the nude photos to the victims' Facebook pages.

About 3,000 pictures of nude and semi-nude women were found on Kazaryan's computer, authorities said.

FBI investigators estimate Kazaryan had more than 350 victims, but all of the women have not yet been identified. Authorities are asking people who believe they may have been a victim to contact FBI offices in Los Angeles.

Thom Mrozek, a spokesman for the U.S. attorney's office, said most of the victims were local.

Kazaryan faces up to 105 years in prison if he's convicted on all counts.
    This story is full of

105 YEARS!!
    Seriously??
    These are women, not children. He's not a pedophile, just your average netperv.
    Being asked for naked pictures / to strip online is one of the charming features of the Internet familiar to every woman who doesn't live under a rock (and even some of us that do). Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to trivialise something that I would categorise as anti-social and exploitative behaviour, I've even supported the banning of such individuals from forums like this one. But is it criminal behaviour worthy of a life sentence? I dunno so much. Granted, his methods were more intrusive than most (probably because most pervs lack the skills) but 105 yrs? Serial rapists don't get sentences like that. In what universe is that proportionate?

Other confusing features of this story:
    -There are apparently large numbers of women who post naked pictures of themselves on Facebook who DON'T want their Facebook friends to see those pictures. (???) Are there really people out there who still trust Facebook "security"?

-There are apparently large numbers of women who don't find it weird when their (presumably straight) female friends ask them to webcam strip for them.
    Is this some new ritual of female friendship that I haven't heard about?

-There are apparently large numbers of women who, having had their Facebook account hijacked, instead of reporting this activity and getting their account blocked, allow themselves to be "blackmailed" into stripping (so that the naked pictures they posted on Facebook won't be posted....on Facebook....)

I must be missing something here... Please enlighten me.
    I'd heard valley girls weren't the sharpest tools in the box but this just beggars belief. And why does the FBI have such a hard-on for hackers?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

I ran into this story a few days back. I skimmed it. It lost me at "the women stripped willingly", and "they then cried about rape".

I didn't realize he got that sentence. That couldn't possibly stick, could it?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Pics or didn't happen.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Pics or didn't happen.
    You'll have to hack my account for them.

Ah...the possibilities for entrapment are endless....
    Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    I ran into this story a few days back. I skimmed it. It lost me at "the women stripped willingly", and "they then cried about rape".

I didn't realize he got that sentence. That couldn't possibly stick, could it?
    IDK. We are talking about California here. Where they made the Terminator a public official. Anything's possible.
    A jail term seems likely. It seems they want to send "a message". I'm not sure they know what that message is though.

What were these women "victims" of, exactly, other than their own indiscretion and stupidity?

Identity theft, perhaps, but it wasn't used to defraud them. They didn't suffer any losses. Aside from some embarrassment, perhaps.

Is it now illegal to pose as a friend in order to gain sexual access to a woman? Because that's going to throw off the game of just about every dude I know...

Smug, sure, but not deserving of 105 years in prison.

MBTI
    xxTP

Who knew guys could be called Karen...

In the early days of capitalism you could be hanged for producing counterfeit coins, actually this law came into force in Britain the very same year which the death penalty for heresy was abolished, showing how Mammon replaced God as our central faith (hat tip the comedian Rob Newman).

Now in 2013, the digital economy and social networking, appears to be the new currency. Digital identity is everything. Expect the death penalty for using a fake profile pic within 5 years.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Guy sounds like a class A predator, I hope they weild the cage shut and leave him there.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post

Smug,
    I'll bet he doesn't look like that now...if he's in custody...as a sex offender...with a name like "Karen". I imagine some unpleasant stuff (from his perspective) is happening to him as we speak...

What chaps my ass is that you can bet the Facebook developers gawk* at any choice pics they can get their smutty hands on. Which is everything that gets posted. They probably have an intranet full of the best stuff. You'd think Californian women might know that Facebook started as a forum for insecure hacker nerds to compare pics of the females on various Ivy league campuses in a "Hot-or-Not" style competition. I mean. Irony minefield here. Bombs going off all over the damned place.

And aren't these women that are posting compromising images of themselves on a public site (which hosts millions of children) breaching some kind of decency laws? Why aren't they being prosecuted?

*other tools are available

MBTI
    xxTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Guy sounds like a class A predator, I hope they weild the cage shut and leave him there.
    Ever considered moving to Iran?

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    And aren't these women that are posting compromising images of themselves on a public site (which hosts millions of children) breaching some kind of decency laws? Why aren't they being prosecuted?
    Are you being serious?

Which brings me to the point, why didn't he just add them and save pics? Maybe he just enjoyed the thrill of something illicitly obtained...

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Ever considered moving to Iran?
    No, I dont think the first world should be a predators playground because people dont understand freedom.