User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Now in 2013, the digital economy and social networking, appears to be the new currency.
    God, that's retarded.

Not disputing it though.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Are you being serious?
    Not entirely, but yeah, kinda. Facebook is not an appropriate host for naked pictures of yourself. I need to spell this out?
    Apparently so.

Which brings me to the point, why didn't he just add them and save pics? Maybe he just enjoyed the thrill of something illicitly obtained...
    More the thrill of dominating those women and coercing them into performing for him. If that were not the reason, it's not as if he couldn't have obtained plenty of legitimate, or rather, freely offered, material. FFS, we're groaning under the weight of that shite.

Now in 2013, the digital economy and social networking, appears to be the new currency. Digital identity is everything. Expect the death penalty for using a fake profile pic within 5 years.
    This isn't about digital identity theft. It's about the American authorities' preternatural terror of hackers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    -There are apparently large numbers of women who don't find it weird when their (presumably straight) female friends ask them to webcam strip for them.
    Is this some new ritual of female friendship that I haven't heard about?
    I just read your quoted story, but did it say he posed as a female friend? Just said he was a friend, yeah? Perhaps male. Perhaps the 'identity theft' component was finding messages from past boyfriends and the like.

105 years is a lot. But the guy is a scumbag. 6 years? I'm not sure what to think of the girls choice to send out the pictures in the first place, but the blackmail coercion is elevated from mere posing as someone else on the scale of criminal behavior.

I think there is another component, in that by getting into these emails he probably damaged the personal lives of the people he tricked but also the people he posed as.

They say they have 15 counts but also quote 350 women? That's a pretty large scale operation.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Scumbag or not, 20 years ago, this crime would have gotten community service at worst. Picking up trash on the highway, wearing a goofy orange vest. 105 years is what you give a mass murdering cult leader.

MBTI
    XXFP

I think posing as someone else is community service, but sexual-ish blackmail is a crime that's been around for a while.

The whole "here's pictures of you meeting your mistress at the hotel now do what we say" thing. i'm sure someone better at searching than me can find an example of this with a historical precedent.

(technically, not sure if this is extortion)
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Our society places way too much emphasis on sex. If we didn't obsess about these kinds of conspiracies about things like the naked body, there wouldn't be such a freakout incident like this that produces such reactions. I think we just need to be more comfortable with our sexual expressions and actually be able to see the naked body without getting paranoid senses of perversion.

WTF I don't even know why I'm commenting here - is such a stupid case like this even worth my time; I must be pretty bored right now!

Permabanned

350 women? Does this guy have a job? That's alolt he must have too much time on his hands.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    What chaps my ass is that you can bet the Facebook developers gawk* at any choice pics they can get their smutty hands on. Which is everything that gets posted. They probably have an intranet full of the best stuff.
    A digression to mention it, but I don't doubt that they do either. I worked in an IT company where digital media sent to us of of nice looking girls in nice looking houses were routinely "discussed" by the "guys" and saved to local drives.
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt

"When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

105 years seems a bit excessive, but what he did was a million times worse than what Aaron Swartz did. This guy should get some prison time. It was blackmail. It's a shame that no Wall Street executives face 105 year prison sentences. They harmed society far more than this guy.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP

um, this guy committed multiple (hundreds!) counts of identity theft, blackmail, voyeurism, and sexual assault (admittedly indirectly on that last one, but still, hundreds of times!).....I realize there are somewhat different standards on the internet (stealing copyrighted material in particular, which of course I've done and have my own hypocritical double standards about), but I don't get why people view a 105-year sentence as an outrage.....what if the man had broken into all of these women's homes, installed hidden cameras in the bedrooms/bathrooms, and proceeded to blackmail them afterwards?