User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Drill More Oil

MBTI
    INFP

Default Drill More Oil

Maybe I being naive and unyielding in my INFPness, but the talk and the caving into more drilling is pissing me off. Can't Americans take a little more tightening? Come on.

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
    MBTI
    Hype

Why is more drilling bad?

MBTI
    FiSi

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    Climate change, for example?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

If there were provisions for funding alternative fuel development, etc tied to the bill, I'd be okay with drilling as a stop-gap measure. Otherwise, it's just delaying the inevitable.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by nozflubber View Post
    I won't pretend to present an evidence based argument against it. There are others in the forum who can smoke me in that game, so I figure I'll let them unload their points. I'd just fall apart.

Most of my opinion comes from a gut reaction. It feels like catering to our consumption addiction is bad news and any solution that does the same is the wrong one.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Otherwise, it's just delaying the inevitable.
    From that perspective, beginning to use petroleum at all was just delaying the inevitable.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    From that perspective, beginning to use petroleum at all was just delaying the inevitable.
    From that perspective, being born is just delaying the inevitable.

It seems relatively certain that oil supplies are finite and demand for fuel is increasing as countries develop. Currently, petroleum is the lifeblood of the United States. I don't think, even if we forget the environment completely and drill like there's no tomorrow, that we are going to have enough petroleum to meet our demands very far into the future. I do not like the idea that countries that may or may not be friendly to us can throw us into a crisis at a whim. I think we can and should develop alternatives so that we can be more self-sufficient and so we can transition from petroleum dependence with mild inconvenience instead of a major crisis. I think that we can, but not with businesses focusing no farther ahead than the next quarter. We need a little more big picture than that.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Jive A Turkey View Post
    Maybe I being naive and unyielding in my INFPness, but the talk and the caving into more drilling is pissing me off. Can't Americans take a little more tightening? Come on.
    Are you suggesting that the government forbid the drilling of oil?

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Are you suggesting that the government forbid the drilling of oil?
    I believe there are very few good short-term reasons to promote or (in the case of Alaskan oil) allow drilling of oil. The sheer amount of infrastructure it takes to do offshore drilling is insane, and land-based oil is only a little easier. We're essentially setting ourselves up for more oil in five to ten years, not next week... and five to ten years isn't soon enough to help with the current crunch. As well, given the fact that we live in a global energy market, a decent chunk of that oil is likely to never reach domestic markets. What're the odds of us seeing any sort of decent drop in energy costs for decimating one of the few remaining pieces of untrammeled nature left in the USA? Is it worth persisting in an outmoded model when we could focus on getting through the birthing pains, which we'll be in anyway, to achieve a new structure of stability?

I'd say no.
    "The subject chooses to sit in shadow and search for wisdom by reflecting upon his trial. The problem is not that he is cold and wet, but that cold and wet seems problematic, so he embraces those hardships in order to best them."

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Priam View Post
    I believe there are very few good short-term reasons to promote or (in the case of Alaskan oil) allow drilling of oil. The sheer amount of infrastructure it takes to do offshore drilling is insane, and land-based oil is only a little easier. We're essentially setting ourselves up for more oil in five to ten years, not next week... and five to ten years isn't soon enough to help with the current crunch. As well, given the fact that we live in a global energy market, a decent chunk of that oil is likely to never reach domestic markets. What're the odds of us seeing any sort of decent drop in energy costs for decimating one of the few remaining pieces of untrammeled nature left in the USA? Is it worth persisting in an outmoded model when we could focus on getting through the birthing pains, which we'll be in anyway, to achieve a new structure of stability?

I'd say no.
    Could you please define decimation and explain why it is a forgone conclusion?