User Tag List

12311 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Default Women's equality: demanding equal rights without offering equal behavior since 1872

Women's equality is like a bad math equation I've ran through my head so many times yet it still can never add up. When you boil it down it ends up weighing entirely on grossly unjustified self-entitlement along the lines of "I'm the queen of my life, that's why". Well, if you're the leading authority, why the need to protest anyone? You're not a monarchy and neither is anyone else, yet you get to push everyone around with your self-appointed right to authority. How is that fair and equal treatment?

What gives, feminism? Since you can't add up, how do you justify using the label of equality? I demand equality from your [double-standard] sense of equality. I have a right to it, as you say.
    Likes zarc liked this post

Care to talk about anything specific? What sparked this thread? This is all a bit too abstract for me.

MBTI
    INFP

So to sum it up, you are against women having equal societal benefits to their male counterparts?

If so, which benefits irk you so?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7x8 sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Woah. I think you're confusing social issues with your personal life, buddy.

The generalizations you have just made are indeed quite wicked and borderline misogynistic. True, there are women who are convinced that their vagina and the troubles of their predecessors grant them the right to act like absolute morons, but this type of woman is no more plentiful in our population than men who are equally deplorable. If we have to tolerate chauvinist who will confidently proclaim the same values that were apart of the cult of domesticity bullshit, then you too have to tolerate bitchy, entitled women.

While visiting my family's church I had a man tell me in a very succinct manner that women have their place, men have their place. He elucidated that men are meant to lead, provide; women are meant to encourage, nurture. And yet, he is one of the most well-respected men in the community.

We all have to put up with it.

Is she whipping you with a riding crop, or what?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by Stumblebum View Post
    Woah. I think you're confusing social issues with your personal life, buddy.

The generalizations you have just made are indeed quite wicked and borderline misogynistic. True, there are women who are convinced that their vagina and the troubles of their predecessors grant them the right to act like absolute morons, but this type of woman is no more plentiful in our population than men who are equally deplorable. If we have to tolerate chauvinist who will confidently proclaim the same values that were apart of the cult of domesticity bullshit, then you too have to tolerate bitchy, entitled women.

While visiting my family's church I had a man tell me in a very succinct manner that women have their place, men have their place. He elucidated that men are meant to lead, provide; women are meant to encourage, nurture. And yet, he is one of the most well-respected men in the community.

We all have to put up with it.
    There's your problem.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7x8 sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    There's your problem.
    Yep. What better way to justify idiocy than with the almighty power of GOD?

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

It might help you zerohero, to realize the ways inwhich men are unfairly disadvantaged in comparison to women are usually not feminism's fault.

Most of the army is male, and so men are the ones dying on the battlefield? Thank traditional gender roles (i.e. the patriarchy). Feminists (usually) want equal opportunities in the armed forces; women in combat roles.
    Men expected to pay for the meal? Gender roles again. Feminists (usually) would support a shared responsibility.
    Men unfairly treated in divorce and child custody cases? Le gender roules? Women are homemakers/better nurturers. Feminist (usually) would agree with that line.

Men blaming feminism and women for their inequality is like a father blaming a passerby for not stopping his daughter stick lego up her nose. Yes, it would have been good of the passerby to stop her, but it wasnt an obligation, and it certainly isn't the passerby's fault that the girl's nose is now full of brick. Its not the passerby's responsibility. Really the blame is more on the father, who should have been paying attention and working hard to prevent any nasal cavity insertions.

Want to know why men are unequal? Because so far they have shown a near total lack of interest. Feminism has done more for men's equality than any male-led movement has.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Eruca View Post
    Want to know why men are unequal? Because so far they have shown a near total lack of interest. Feminism has done more for men's equality than any male-led movement has.
    Men have been strangely slow to take advantage of the highlighted. The OP is right in that, for women to expect equal rights, they must also accept equal responsibility. Women have long realized that their exclusion from many roles and duties has served only to relegate them to the status of children: less capable, less intelligent, weaker, less responsible, more fragile and sensitive and needing protection. The lie of this is made plain with great eloquence in Sojourner Truth's famous Ain't I a Woman speech.

I do know women, unfortunately, who will not shoulder their share of adult responsibility. Not surprisingly, few of these would consider themselves feminists, and most are content to rely on men to support and direct them. They give women a bad name and reinforce the needless limitations confronting both men and women.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...
    Likes MDP2525 liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    I do know women, unfortunately, who will not shoulder their share of adult responsibility. Not surprisingly, few of these would consider themselves feminists, and most are content to rely on men to support and direct them. They give women a bad name and reinforce the needless limitations confronting both men and women.
    In defense of equality, there are lots of men that would not should adult responsibility. Possibly more, really, but that may be observation bias since men are expected to be more... overt... about it. The main difference is that a man who is weak in this regard is viewed as weak, while a female is not (or to a much lesser degree). In some cases its cute, others it is vulnerable and to be protected, others to be taken care of... Part of me wishes to be able to say "woman up" to someone someday; the other part acknowledges that it is dismissive to either gender.

(And as much I hate to say this because it can be a thread-destroying comment, modern day feminists - instead of equalists, so to speak - seem very comfortable with double standards that benefit them. It is very hard to have a dialogue about that, however.)