User Tag List

First 2101112131422 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by KDude View Post
    If it was just rednecks, it might be relatively easy to silence them (by letting drugs and poverty destroy their communities and hopes, etc.., possibly slowing some desire for breeding or giving them more important things to stress about).
    Fuck all that. Rednecks aren't worthy of the man-hours or budget.
    Those subhumans should have been dead yesterday.

Drag 'em out in the street: Hammer. Head. Ditch. Pile. Lime.

Done.

And televise it. Reality TV ain't really my thing, but I'll be damned if I wouldn't purchase a TiVo.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    I actually kind of agree with this though. Those feminists are pretentious and self-righteous. Honestly, that's why I don't identity myself as a feminist although I definitely believe in women's rights. I'm of color and race privilege is often dismissed by them.
    I'm of color myself and whenever I meet one of these frauds, I can see the elitism/racism oozing from every pore.
    They're not a solution; they're a major part of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    I'm of color myself and whenever I meet one of these frauds, I can see the elitism/racism oozing from every pore.
    Same and I completely agree with you. It's frustrating to deal with.
    I really like cats and food.

We don't tolerate racial hatred here; and we don't tolerate anti-semitism; but we do tolerate the hatred of women.

Why's that?

MBTI
    XXFP

Same and I completely agree with you. It's frustrating to deal with.
    Care to elaborate?

Both in what you've seen as elitism/racism/source of frustration and what you think the solution involves?
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

^I'm done. I have nothing more to say on the subject.

MBTI
    XXFP

^I'm done. I have nothing more to say on the subject.
    Well, if that's what you want.
    @Aleda?

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Care to elaborate?

Both in what you've seen as elitism/racism/source of frustration and what you think the solution involves?
    I'm not sure what the solution involves but I should try to come up with one one day. I've seen feminists ignore or mistreat WOC, trans*women, etc. The only women that seem to matter to mainstream feminists are white and privileged.
    I really like cats and food.

MBTI
    XXFP

I'm not sure what the solution involves but I should try to come up with one one day. I've seen feminists ignore or mistreat WOC, trans*women, etc. The only women that seem to matter to mainstream feminists are white and privileged.
    Hmm.

I think there is an active (or sometimes perhaps subconcious racist) attempt to ignore not just women but generally anyone of color. I grew up pretty well off white in Wash. DC, I've seen this first hand, (ie. not outwardly racist yuppie folks asking me about the race of a job applicant as the first question etc). I don't have a lot of experience with trans.

But on the other hand, I think people stick with what they know and what effects them most, and I don't think that's (negative) discrimination persay. Mainstream feminists are white and privileged, so they talk about themselves. It becomes a problem when people think that's all there is, or if they ignore other groups.

While misogyny effects all groups, there are different cultures behind it, and people don't always know how (or feel comfortable) to address issues across cultures. For example, my cousin lived in Mexico for a couple years on and off working on domestic violence, and while most people can see that there is a domestic violence problem there regardless of background, without understanding the particular workings of machismo and the connections to female purity (like the Virgin Mary) it's hard to get involved in that without stepping on toes.

And there's always the concern about looking like you're trying to take someone else's struggle away from them.

Of course, POC/lower incomes tend to be at a disadvantage getting into those mainstream visible discussions in the first place. When you add the effect of the 'liberal college girl feminist' (or whatever) becoming an exclusive clique, I can understand the resentment.

I think the solution might take the form of a larger anti-prejudice movement that would cover a lot of these sub-issues. At least that's what I see. It all leads back to the dangers of making assumptions instead of examining the individual.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

That's interesting, and is probably true of second wave feminism, but that's not my experience of third wave feminists, for the most part, many of whom seem impassioned about racial equality issues and treat trans persons fairly.

I almost want to suggest that this may be because I'm originally from the South, and many of my old friends who are third wave feminists come from a working class or lower middle class background themselves (in the South the socio-economic gap is much narrower in most places, there isn't as much a of a disparity between the haves and have nots, and even some of the have nots have front yards, and the haves aren't wealthy in the Beverly Hills sense of the word...being lower middle class is pretty much "normal" in many parts of the South, except for perhaps the biggest cities like Atlanta), so have no upper middle class Seven Sisters snooty feminist agenda, but even my ESFJ friend who lives here in California is similar, and she's actually my mom's age group, just after the second wave, and she says things like her four year old daughter can't grow up in a neighborhood that's all white people because that's not good for her. With her I actually see more issues of trying to overcome her own learned self-defeating, patriarchal supporting behaviors rather than being racist or lashing out at trans women.