User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    Sometimes people can be put at disadvantage without being made totally helpless.
    Maturity stems from accepting people for what they are and acknowledging that life is not fair.
    If you're unable to accept that, then I have no sympathy for you.

And at the end of the day, you're only going to hurt yourself.

Recent news items suggest that women are put at a disadvantage. On an extreme end of a scale, in October a 14 year old Pakastani girl was shot in the head by the Taliban for advocating, among other issues, better access to education for girls. She lived. You might argue that the Taliban shoots lots of people, but women in particular are seen as acceptable targets to control - they had shut down the local girls schools, but the Pakistani military managed to regain control of that area and activists were able to get them reopened.
    Irrelevant.

While women aren't being shot for wanting education in the US, 1 in 5 women are sexually assaulted in their lifetime. Do you know 5 women? Chances are, you know someone who has been attacked.
    I've known several. Can't say I empathize with them much; they were pretty unlikable and abusive.

This is just one example of something that doesn't make women, as a group, helpless, but belies some cultural issues that need to be dealt with, especially because so often it is not some random stranger who does this, but it's an acquaintance who simply believes they are entitled to have sex - without her consent and often against her will, with the woman in question.
    Modern feminists make a parody of the issue.

Recall what I said about "pandering" to the demographic in a previous post.
    They WANT victims so they can fuel their agenda.

Who are you talking about, in any of this?
    Women's Rights Activists, obviously.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Eruca View Post
    It might help you zerohero, to realize the ways inwhich men are unfairly disadvantaged in comparison to women are usually not feminism's fault.

Most of the army is male, and so men are the ones dying on the battlefield? Thank traditional gender roles (i.e. the patriarchy). Feminists (usually) want equal opportunities in the armed forces; women in combat roles.
    Men expected to pay for the meal? Gender roles again. Feminists (usually) would support a shared responsibility.
    Men unfairly treated in divorce and child custody cases? Le gender roules? Women are homemakers/better nurturers. Feminist (usually) would agree with that line.

Men blaming feminism and women for their inequality is like a father blaming a passerby for not stopping his daughter stick lego up her nose. Yes, it would have been good of the passerby to stop her, but it wasnt an obligation, and it certainly isn't the passerby's fault that the girl's nose is now full of brick. Its not the passerby's responsibility. Really the blame is more on the father, who should have been paying attention and working hard to prevent any nasal cavity insertions.

Want to know why men are unequal? Because so far they have shown a near total lack of interest. Feminism has done more for men's equality than any male-led movement has.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    Modern feminists make a parody of the issue.

Women's Rights Activists, obviously.
    Two questions:

1. What definition of "feminist" are you using?

2. In your opinion, which rights should be accorded to women, as compared with the rights accorded to men?

The answers to these might go far in helping people understand your views (assuming that is what you want).
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Mia. View Post
    I wouldn't call it trolling. I would call it a scarily accurate depiction of my experience of grad school.
    That's because academia is a cult and operates on a culture of fear. Yeah, some of the shit that gets cyclically circulated through the academic feminist machine is the result of perceptions trumping reality in academic thinking, as well as the prevalence and cachet of mumbo-jumbo, but that's not limited to feminism. It's just that grad school is a hell hole.

I'm not going to hold the sins of academic feminism against feminism any more than I would hold the (manifold) sins of academic literary studies against literature.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Maturity stems from accepting people for what they are and acknowledging that life is not fair.
    Maturity means knowing the values of the West are freedom and equality.

And maturity means knowing the history of the movement from institutional slavery, women as chattels, child abuse, and superstition, to the values of the Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries.

Immaturity means being locked within one's own narcissism and telling the world that 'life is not fair'.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Two questions:

1. What definition of "feminist" are you using?

2. In your opinion, which rights should be accorded to women, as compared with the rights accorded to men?

The answers to these might go far in helping people understand your views (assuming that is what you want).
    1) The pompous, overprivileged, prejudicial white woman who doesn't truly face adversity but uses feminism as a way to promote herself and appear more intelligent than she really is. You know? The ones who make the legitimate and thoughtful members look really bad by being clumped in with them?

2) Everybody deserves "rights". We live in an age of entitlement and modern feminism is an extension of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Maturity means knowing the values of the West are freedom and equality.
    Oh, you mean that bullshit we constantly promote to appear noble? Effective marketing scheme.
    I don't buy it. This is America--there is no moral integrity. People are people and they're mostly shit.

And maturity means knowing the history of the movement from institutional slavery, women as chattels, child abuse, and superstition, to the values of the Enlightenment of the 17th and 18th centuries.
    White guilt.

Immaturity means being locked within one's own narcissism and telling the world that 'life is not fair'.
    Well, it isn't. Apologies all around for being the bearer of bad news.

Oh, you mean that bullshit we constantly promote to appear noble? Effective marketing scheme.
    I don't buy it. This is America--there is no moral integrity. People are people and they're mostly shit.
    Many of us died to preserve freedom and equality.

And this is Australia where we are holding a Royal Commission into institutional child abuse, we are holding a Judicial Inquiry into rape in the military, we have just received a report of drugs and match fixing in sport, and the Independent Commission Against Corruption is investigating political corruption.

So you can see Australia is actively working day by day to preserve and extend our values of freedom and equality.

So instead of whinging, why don't you join an organisation like Transparency International at http://www.transparency.org/ and join us.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

1) The pompous, overprivileged, prejudicial white woman who doesn't truly face adversity but uses feminism as a way to promote herself and appear more intelligent than she really is. You know? The ones who make the legitimate and thoughtful members look really bad by being clumped in with them?
    Ah. This is where you're coming from, then.

I agree to an extent. It pisses me off, for instance, when I read most things on Slate's Double X section, which is populated by writers of the lily white, Ivy League, whiny-as-fuck type of "feminist." In fact, a large portion of the feminist blogosphere pisses me off in the same way, with endless articles whining about shit like, "we need more plus sized models in magazines, etc.,." Or, "stop hating Lena Dunham because you think she's fat and ugly, otherwise you suck at feminism."

It's not necessarily that they're wrong, it's that they put the spotlight on stupid issues and try to paint them in a "feminist" light for legitimacy. Also, they all seem to have a sort of whiny white girl overachiever neuroticism which they assume is universal, and which they litter their writing with as though the rest of us should care.

I only regard them as one step above writers for Cosmo, though, so they don't have an effect on my esteem for folks who actually do real feminist work of value (of which there is a lot, but it's not as interesting to popular rags like Slate or Huffpo or Salon as anything having to do with trivialities such as relationship advice and so on.)
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    Many of us died to preserve freedom and equality.
    So? Keep dying.
    Keep dying so you can make the rich richer because at the end of the day that is all it is.

And this is Australia where we are holding a Royal Commission into institutional child abuse, we are holding a Judicial Inquiry into rape in the military, we have just received a report of drugs and match fixing in sport, and the Independent Commission Against Corruption is investigating political corruption.

So you can see Australia is actively working day by day to preserve and extend our values of freedom and equality.

So instead of whinging, why don't you join an organisation like Transparency International at http://www.transparency.org/ and join us.
    No thanks. Being surrounded by people like you would make my blood pressure flare and I'd probably puke a whole lot.
    Who knows? Maybe some of it would get on you.

So? Keep dying.
    Keep dying so you can make the rich richer because at the end of the day that is all it is.

No thanks. Being surrounded by people like you would make my blood pressure flare and I'd probably puke a whole lot.
    Who knows? Maybe some of it would get on you.
    Perhaps you are feeling disturbed so talking to someone you can trust might be helpful.